Recertified 960GB M500 from Crucual.com

Worst hotdeals thread evar.

How about:

Linky

Crucial M500 SSDs, 7mm with adapter.
960gb = $179.99
480gb = $99.99

Free standard shipping, expect to pay sales tax.

Manufacturer Refurbs with 1 year warranty direct from Crucial, while supplies last. Same deal as usual, only difference is that these are the large capacity drives for once.

Retail for 1TB m500 new is $345 on amazon (higher elsewhere).

This deal is on fire [H]ot. Ive ordered a few already (but will they ship?) my dilemma now is.. should I order more?

Worst hotdeals thread evar.

How about:

Linky

Crucial M500 SSDs, 7mm with adapter.
960gb = $179.99
480gb = $99.99

Free standard shipping, expect to pay sales tax.

Manufacturer Refurbs with 1 year warranty direct from Crucial, while supplies last. Same deal as usual, only difference is that these are the large capacity drives for once.
Yeah someone change the title to include some details. Brick Tamland style titles dont help people ;)

.19 cents a GB for SSD's is amazing. Yes refurb but crucial is reputable and their "endurance" is by far the best among consumer SSD models.

This is too good to pass up. Time to replace the 1 TB platter drive in my gaming rig.

saw that in slickdeals; might be down for 2 of them in raid 0. That's insanely cheap

They only allow 1 per customer, but there are obviously ways around it.

I bought a 960GB myself, $180 is too hard to pass up even if it is recertified. 1 year manufacturer warranty and I bought it with my AMEX so I'll extend it if I need to.

I really wish I had a reason to buy this. I mean seriously....

But I just got my m4600 upgrade to a CS1111 and my main computer already has an M500 960GB in it. I can't really justify this purchase no matter how much I want to. I do have that new TS140 I can put it into, but it wouldn't do much on a server machine anyway. It sucks when you can't even justify something as an impulse purchase.

Running 2 "recertified" drives in raid 0? You're a braver man than I.

It'll be a Steam drive.

My current Raid0 with Kingston HyperX drives is coming on 2.5years old now. still going strong pulling 1GB/s.

Very tempting, but with a limit of one, I think I'll pass.
Since they are recertified, I would have bough 4 of the 480GB models, and upgraded 3 laptops at work, keeping one as a spare.

Running 2 "recertified" drives in raid 0? You're a braver man than I.

Not sure why it matters.. Even new drives fail. And its an SSD.. It either works or it doesn't there isn't mechanical parts.

Not sure why it matters.. Even new drives fail. And its an SSD.. It either works or it doesn't there isn't mechanical parts.

Because at some point all of these drives supposedly had issues and were returned to Crucial. Are they fixed and properly working now? To the extent that Crucials testing methodology says so. What if the user was having a legitimate intermittent issue and Crucial wasn't able to replicate it so they turned around marked it as good? This is a great deal, I wouldn't have any problem buying these drives if I could find a use for them. I'm not brave enough to put them in raid 0 given their history.

It'll be a Steam drive.

My current Raid0 with Kingston HyperX drives is coming on 2.5years old now. still going strong pulling 1GB/s.

Whats the points, a single SSD is more than enough to load any games fast enough, just split the game installs between the 2 individual drives instead...

Whats the points, a single SSD is more than enough to load any games fast enough, just split the game installs between the 2 individual drives instead...

Splitting a Steam directory would be more annoying than deciding where to install individual titles tho, and he has two 120GB drives so it's probably not even about that...

I've had two similarly sized drives in RAID0 as well simply because the second was a damn good deal and a single 256GB volume made much more sense as a system drive.

I'll probably RAID two 1TB pretty soon here for similar reasons, they'll be fully backed up and I'd rather not have to think about how to split my data at all.

Might've been all over this if I didn't already have one 1TB, didn't wanna get into mixing brands and such...

Yeah Raid0 OS drive and Raid0 Steam drive. That's what I currently run with 2x Raptors. Gonna be a nice upgrade. Should be about 3x+ faster than the Raptors. Should be a good upgrade that will last a really long time.

Annoying, when you click to install a game, choose a drive letter and done :)

I guess it is a pain trying to decide the size of games and what can go where and likley having a weird amount of unused space at the end on each drive.., i only have about 350G of steam games so far, so no worries for me.

Raid 0 for OS IS pointless, Raid is great for large seeks, not little tiny random ones and OS and most App's do.You will not see any performance gain unless you just run benchmarks all day on your OS drive.

Like I said, I didn't do it for any sort of performance boost, and I don't think Warrior did either... Having a 256GB system volume was simply way more convenient than having a 128GB system volume and a random secondary fast but small volume... So I RAID them.

My second 830 was like 1/3rd the price of the first (when they were getting cleared out after the 840 launched) so it made a lot of sense at the time. On my Skylake build the OS volume will be a single M.2 drive but I might still raid larger SATA drives for convenience.

My Steam directory isn't huge either, but the Stream directory plus Lightroom catalog is getting up there. Could do JBOD too I guess, but if the volume's properly backed up (and also getting used for some light video edit duties) I might as well go RAID.

On topic, that was one weirdly short sale... You'd think it was just to clear out refurb stock on an old drive, but if that's the case, shouldn't they be out of stock now?

My Steam folder is 600GB with only half of my games downloaded.

And like I said, I got those Kingston's over 3 years ago. SSDs were way more expensive for the smaller ones. I think I got that 120s for $90 each on a crazy Office Depo price fuck-up they went for $150 retail. And one of them is not enough... Whether you think RAID0 is pointless for an OS drive or not, I know what I've had for 3+ years and it's nothing short of blazing. And I love it. This is the [H] Forum, not the [J]ust Enough To Get By Forums... That's lame.

RAID is for winners.

How do they "recertify" these drives? Are they returns that failed and they throw a new F/W on it?

Edit: should answer above question as well ^^^^^^^^

what does recertified mean?
It usually is similar to refurbished. The drives are tested and brought to retail spec (if need be). Could be something as simple as shipping damage to casing of drive, sata connector snapped off, or as complicated by half the memory cells getting fried. New firmware may or may not be part of the equation. I have yet to get a refurb or re-certified product that did not look like or perform as good as new.

Well my only issue right now is I hope one of the orders doesn't get cancelled.

Come on 2 drives!!

EDIT: and of course after I post this, minutes later I get 2 emails that say they shipped. Sweet!

Sweet, grats, that was a killer killer deal. How long it even run for, like 4-6hrs? Did anyone get a Crucial email about it? I might need to sign up if they're gonna keep clearing out slightly older models at like 50% in the future. :p

Damn, they shipped these fast,
crucial-960gb.jpg

what shipping did you pay for?

I chose free shipping.

EDIT:
I have a confession, those drives were bought a few months ago, I just happened to have the boxes sitting in my drawer next to me.

Hmm that's weird I didn't see the thread update with that info until now. LOL you are quite the joker.

Back