Recently installed new router, issue?

PrometheuSBoxeR

Limp Gawd
I recently picked up the new N600 Netgear, and installed it without much problem.

I've recently been running into a issue while wired in on my desktop.

"Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out."

Some pages, randomly, but fairly often will be very unresponsive/time out.

I tried to do some research, but without much luck I couldn't find anything regarding the problem. I am not really much of a network guy, so my expertise is limited.

If someone wouldn't mind maybe telling me what's going on, and what I can do to assure I am maximizing my network and/or internet. I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

That's because it's a google chrome specific formatted message. All browsers report error timed, but chrome reports it in that format.

It just means your browser could not connect to whatever page you were trying to get to. You'll have to narrow down the issue since it's intermittent, it could be a lot of things. Flaky browser, flaky OS, flaky internet connection, flaky dhcp on your router's wan side.

Next time that happens try another browser asap with the same address.
Also try to ping something to see if it's that page or your entire net is going down. You can google's dns at 8.8.8.8 for example.

Or try a constant ping. Do "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" and then start browsing around, when it times out, go check your cmd ping window and see if you got "request timed out" or if it continued on its merry way. Then you will know if it's your entire net going down, or something else.

Often I am using both firefox and chrome at the same time. Chrome is what I am using to browse on websites, and I still get time outs.

I did a constant ping of the 8.8.8.8 -t, and I had no request timed out when the error occured in chrome.

I am watching a stream on firefox in 1 window, and have about 4-5 tabs opened in chrome when the problem occured. I also made a note, this problem seemingly only occured when I had firefix and chrome open at the same time. I couldn't really force the error with just chrome.

Could it be a bandwidth issue? The thing is, before I got the router I was directly connected into the cable modem. I never had any problems and I did this all the time.

Still puzzled. Feels like I'm not getting everything out of my internet I should be.

Update: I called up Comcast, I should have 20mb internet. I was only getting about 8-10... little did they tell me when I upgraded my service I had to go change the modem out for a newer one.

I did that, and getting the rated 21mb speed. Hopefully it solved my problems, felt like a bandwidth issue?

The new N600 Rangemax 2.4/5.0Ghz router -

What settings should I disable/enable to ensure that I have it properly configured? Everything is pretty stock/default right now.

Hardwired to the modem, I receive no time outs. I install the router, and I receive time outs.

Still looking for possible trouble shooting help as to why this is occurring.

Hardwired to the modem, I receive no time outs. I install the router, and I receive time outs.

Still looking for possible trouble shooting help as to why this is occurring.

I think you just figured out why this is occurring. The router you bought is likely flaky. Two options: get your hands on another router to give it a shot or RMA the one you have now and try a new model. If that one does the same thing, something's not playing nice. My money would just be on faulty hardware, though.

Back