Recently got a 32" 165hz display, still using my 24" display as secondary and noticing "lag"?

AjFreimuth

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have the Monoprice Darkmatter 32" 2560x1440 165hz display, and a basic Dell 24" 1080p display.
I am running an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 32GB of ram, and a 6700XT video card.

Since I've got the 32" display I've noticed my system will stutter/lag at times when my 2nd display has something (Most of the time Chrome) running on it. it isn't constant and if I click on a different tab then go back it stops. I also noticed when unlocking my PC that things on my 32" take a moment to respond to clicks like opening a program/app.

Do you think this is caused by the different refresh rates? I'm running Windows 11 Pro with all current updates, and all drivers updated.

My guess is it's chrome trying to be clever and save power when it's out of focus.

I doubt it has to do with refresh rates.

I use windows 10 and Vivaldi, but I run 8 monitors with several different refresh rates and I haven't had that problem.

By default Chrome uses GPU to render web sites and its might just be one 3d application affecting performance of other 3d application.
I disable all hardware acceleration in web browsers or any application which has this option (eg. Steam) to avoid this issue. Any decent CPU should be fast enough to handle drawing fast enough for GPU to not need to be involved. Disabling HW acceleration reduces GPU's VRAM usage and avoids potential issues with game stuttering while these applications are open / visible.

That said since I always disable 3d acceleration I am not quite sure how common this issue of stuttering is. Usually disable it when I notice new installation of Chrome (or on new Windows) causes game to stutter by having stuttering which is magically gone when I close Chrome. With HW acceleration disabled it never happens.

By default Chrome uses GPU to render web sites and its might just be one 3d application affecting performance of other 3d application.
I disable all hardware acceleration in web browsers or any application which has this option (eg. Steam) to avoid this issue. Any decent CPU should be fast enough to handle drawing fast enough for GPU to not need to be involved. Disabling HW acceleration reduces GPU's VRAM usage and avoids potential issues with game stuttering while these applications are open / visible.

That said since I always disable 3d acceleration I am not quite sure how common this issue of stuttering is. Usually disable it when I notice new installation of Chrome (or on new Windows) causes game to stutter by having stuttering which is magically gone when I close Chrome. With HW acceleration disabled it never happens.
Thanks I'll look into this and try that out.

Back