Recently announced Wii features.

[T5K]thrasher

2[H]4U
Any one else notice that the wii can play videos from portable storage? That's awesome, the photo thing is also kinda nifty.

from IGN: "Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time. "

Does anyone actually use these kind of features for pictures? I have yet to meet anyone who has a desire to view pictures through a video game console.

I use the card reader on my tv to show friends and relatives my vacation pictures, but that's only like once or twice a year.

Did any one see the Wii sports boxing in this clip ? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html

Looks like fun.

I think the Photo show is still a nice feature, Much easyer to have people check out Pics on a big TV then huddled around a computer.

The video feature is what im excited about, if there is a way to get it reading video off of a USB drive can you say ultra sweet mini home theater system?

[T5K]thrasher said:
The video feature is what im excited about, if there is a way to get it reading video off of a USB drive can you say ultra sweet mini home theater system?
I could, if the Wii did DVD playback. But it doesn't, so I'm not gonna say it.

dotK said:
Does anyone actually use these kind of features for pictures? I have yet to meet anyone who has a desire to view pictures through a video game console.

I do, quite a bit. I have a two year old son and I take about 100-200 photos of him a month. When grandparents come to visit it is far more comfortable to have them sit on the couch in front of my 51' HDTV to view these photos rather than have them either crowd around the 2.5' camera screen, or my PC monitor. Plus going through the Xbox360 they appear on the screen in HD, rather than SD when using the camera's own TV-out feature.

Besides, I think streaming from a PC on a home network is far simpler than taking the physical memory card out of your camera and putting into your console. First off, you won't have all the pictures you want to see on your camera's card, and secondly the less you have to touch the card the less likely you are to damage it or lose it. Most digital cameras have USB 2.0 connections on them, so if you have a sufficiently large enough card you should never have to take it out of the camera.

The Wii-way of doing this seems like a step backward.

[T5K]thrasher said:
Any one else notice that the wii can play videos from portable storage? That's awesome, the photo thing is also kinda nifty.

from IGN: "Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time. "

But is this restricted to 480p? If so, wasted opportunity.

Yeah, Im not sure.

Even if it is, have you seen a ED 42" plasma TV? thats 480p wide and it still looks very good from a few feet away.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
i didn't know they were gonna have a Steve Irwin game!

Yes, I'm evil lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only person thinking about that when I saw it. xD

Reminds me of the PSP where u can insert your memory stick and browse the photos on there, right off your digital camera.

Only interesting to me if you can stream divx from an attached usb HDD or usb thumbdrive, if not then it is next to useless for almost all applications.

I also agree that the 360's ability to stream content from a networked PC is more convenient, but that doesn't mean this is a bad feature.

Nuzzles said:
I'm glad I wasn't the only person thinking about that when I saw it. xD

I was thinking the same thing.....

As far as the memory card feature for pictures and shit. Yea I guess it is a good feature. I know some people that would use it. I figure if you have the card slot built in for other stuff why not. BTW did anyone hear anything about dvd playback? I know in the beginning they said something about it being a addon to play dvds. I'm thinking my dad would be into this system and if I could make it his dvd player hell that would be better(less stuff). My dad really hasn't been into games since the nes but I'm thinking something like wee sports would be something he would enjoy.

[T5K]thrasher said:

Oh my god. THAT is so frickin' awesome. I was already going to get a Wii, but now I'm even more stoked. PLEASE, Nintendo, include Mpeg 4 support and I'll be as happy as a clam. I don't care about DVDs. I've got like five things in the house that can play DVDs now. I'm talking about my 80GB fansub collection.

DivX + Mpeg 4 support would instantly make the Wii my favorite console. Seriously.

PWMK2 said:
Oh my god. THAT is so frickin' awesome. I was already going to get a Wii, but now I'm even more stoked. PLEASE, Nintendo, include Mpeg 4 support and I'll be as happy as a clam. I don't care about DVDs. I've got like five things in the house that can play DVDs now. I'm talking about my 80GB fansub collection.

DivX + Mpeg 4 support would instantly make the Wii my favorite console. Seriously.
Aye. I could use a nice media playback device like this. A nice easy way to play all them "home movies" :p

swatbat said:
I was thinking the same thing.....

As far as the memory card feature for pictures and shit. Yea I guess it is a good feature. I know some people that would use it. I figure if you have the card slot built in for other stuff why not. BTW did anyone hear anything about dvd playback? I know in the beginning they said something about it being a addon to play dvds. I'm thinking my dad would be into this system and if I could make it his dvd player hell that would be better(less stuff). My dad really hasn't been into games since the nes but I'm thinking something like wee sports would be something he would enjoy.

My mum has never been able to grasp the concept of these controllers. She's always wanted to play games, but never could. I really want the Wii to work like they say it will. Pretty sure she'd enjoy it.

Nuzzles said:
My mum has never been able to grasp the concept of these controllers. She's always wanted to play games, but never could. I really want the Wii to work like they say it will. Pretty sure she'd enjoy it.

See thats what I'm thinking. My dad liked playing the nes but the extra buttons and everything really got him off it. I can under stand that though. He was jumping from an nes to a playstation. Huge diffrence in controls. Never had a snes/genesis. Didn't play them that much, just enjoyed playing a game here or there. I'm thinking wii sports would be for him. Hell even if I buy him a system for that game.

Back