Recent Windows 10 updates - bug with XB1 controller

ghostwich

2[H]4U
I upgraded t o Win10 over the weekend (most things went fine) and got hit with this - long story short, if you use an XBox One controller, the last two cumulative "security" patches cause the system to hang when the controller is disconnected.

Symptoms are generally that the mouse cursor still moves (or is moving slowly) and you cannot click - every click registers as an error/beep (although it's not the same sound as a default "error'). Keyboard input is unaffected and you should be able to see DWM.exe take up 1 full CPU core. Some people have reported system startup is slow or hangs as well.

I've been able to remedy this by uninstalling KB3140743 which was replaced on March 8 with KB3140768. Both seemingly have the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._unplugging_a_xbox_one_controller_in_windows/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/49uq1o/windows_10_mouse_lagbeeping_bug/

Must not affect everyone. Mine doesn't do this and I've been using it quite a bit with Street Fighter 5. I'm using a wireless one via the dongle.

Can confirm I am experiencing this also wired and wireless. Thought it was the recent OC I put on my GPU or something weird, never thought it was related to my XB1 controller. Glad to see there is a semi-easy fix as long as I don't have to uninstall the updates every week there is a new one. Does Microsoft even test these updates?

Unable to hot plug a USB HID... Nice retrograde, Microsoft, you're really doing great work.

Must not affect everyone. Mine doesn't do this and I've been using it quite a bit with Street Fighter 5. I'm using a wireless one via the dongle.

Are you on an Insider build?

Can confirm I am experiencing this also wired and wireless. Thought it was the recent OC I put on my GPU or something weird, never thought it was related to my XB1 controller. Glad to see there is a semi-easy fix as long as I don't have to uninstall the updates every week there is a new one. Does Microsoft even test these updates?

Funny story - so I uninstalled and hid KB3140743 but then KB3140768 was released which replaced the original and therefore put me right back where I started... so yeah this might be a weekly thing. I feel like I have to watch Windows Update like a hawk now.

Unable to hot plug a USB HID... Nice retrograde, Microsoft, you're really doing great work.

Actually I wonder if this affects all hot-plug devices. That would be bad, of course.

Are you on an Insider build?

Nope, just 1511 with all of the latest patches. The last updates were on Tuesday of this week.
I'm using a wireless Xbox One pad and the wireless USB dongle. I power it down (by holding the button for 5 seconds) when I'm done playing. Never had any issues and I've played SF5 3-4 times this week since the updates came along. I'm using a Logitech wireless mouse and wireless keyboard (with separate wireless dongles) as well. No issues across the board. I dunno.

Nope, just 1511 with all of the latest patches. The last updates were on Tuesday of this week.
I'm using a wireless Xbox One pad and the wireless USB dongle. I power it down (by holding the button for 5 seconds) when I'm done playing. Never had any issues and I've played SF5 3-4 times this week since the updates came along. I'm using a Logitech wireless mouse and wireless keyboard (with separate wireless dongles) as well. No issues across the board. I dunno.
Real strange. Other than doing a clean Win10 install, I'm not sure how vanilla my setup could be. I upgraded Friday and ran into the bug on Sat/Sun before even being able to Google the right terms to find out that there was a problem with that first KB. Glad you're unscathed, it sucks for the rest of us :)

I also experienced this earlier this week. I didn't know what the fuck was going on!

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I was playing the Division Beta. I had my controller connected through USB. Its really annoying, so I have to make sure I restart my computer prior to remove my controller. I didn't test it with the wireless dongle to see if it does the samething.

Interesting, I wonder if actually turning the controller off before removing it is the solution? I never turn the controller off before removing the dongle or USB cable if I am charging it and had the issue prior to removing the 2 updates.

So, I never actually unplug anything. I have the wireless USB dongle permanently plugged in to my PC. I just turn the controller off and on as needed using the Xbox Power button on the controller.
I don't charge it using any kind of cords or dongles. I have a set of Eneloop batteries I just swap out (they have their own charger) every few weeks.

Had this issue about a week ago and it was driving me insane trying to figure it out, then I realized it was around the time I started playing AC syndicate and slowly narrowed it down. Thank god someone found a fix.

So, I never actually unplug anything. I have the wireless USB dongle permanently plugged in to my PC. I just turn the controller off and on as needed using the Xbox Power button on the controller.
I don't charge it using any kind of cords or dongles. I have a set of Eneloop batteries I just swap out (they have their own charger) every few weeks.
I've tried powering down and it triggered the bug for me.

What's also annoying is that my PC installed KB3140768 again on Saturday, even after I had hidden the update. That's twice now that it's installed (the first time when it was launched and silently replaced the older, broken KB update, and then mysteriously after a reboot). I'm tempted to roll back to Win8.1 (honestly I know people hate it but it worked for me AND I never saw any tiles) to alleviate this kind of troubleshooting.

Back