Recent(terrible) customer support experience with ASUS

Kaili

n00b
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I just thought I'd share my recent experience with Asus, that led me to creating an account for this forum to share my experience.

I recently sent in my laptop to get the screen repaired in mid-July, since it had developed blotches over time, and was still under warranty. Only a few days after getting it back, I noticed while setting up my webcam, that there was a gap between the back of the frame and the part connecting to the webcam, which had not been there when I sent the laptop in. I made a new RMA and sent it in to Asus to have it repaired, but recently got a message stating that they would not repair the damage caused by the previous RMA repair of replacing the screen, and would be charging me a $130!. I disputed the claim, since I had not caused the damage, but the repair facility had, and got this message back. I tried calling as well, and the spokesperson stated that the website was being updated and they are unable to bring up my RMA.

"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort you are experiencing in this particular situation. However, we ensure all units go through quality inspection before leaving our facility, therefore it would not have escaped our attention nor would we have shipped a damaged unit. If it is a case where the damage could have occurred during shipping there is another department that files claims for such issues. We will require images of device from when you received the shipment. do you have such images in possession?"

I know this quality inspection couldn't have been the best, as I had gotten the laptop back with the power turned on right out of the box, which is terrible for my battery life especially because it was being shipped back from Texas in the summer, and the temperatures would have been at least 90 degrees F! And the damage would have been noticed if they had done a truly thorough inspection >.>

Can anyone recommend any help or anything I can do?

Always take pictures when unboxing an RMA. Asus are notorious for shitty RMA's, ranging from returning the same broken part to having more damage. They aren't always terrible, but 99% of the time, they are.

Be happy it actually got the screen replaced lol.

Always take pictures when unboxing an RMA. Asus are notorious for shitty RMA's, ranging from returning the same broken part to having more damage. They aren't always terrible, but 99% of the time, they are.

Be happy it actually got the screen replaced lol.

I know, I'm mad at myself for not taking pictures ><. I think what's bothering me the most is them implying that the frames damage is my fault.

The only time I've dealt with Asus support was with a Transformer android tablet. It had developed excessive backlight bleed and touch issues about 45 days after I got it, so I sent it in. They had it for 3 damn months, sent it back to me with even worse issues (a corner of the LCD wasn't screwed down, so the backlight bleed & separation was horrendous), and it took ANOTHER 2 months for them to fix it. 45 days in hand, 5 months in RMA hell.

There should be a thread specifically for the CS Hall of Shame. I would add Toshiba to the list in a heartbeat.

ASUS has been absolutely horrible with RMAs for quite a number of years now (they used to feature how good their customer service was on the boxes of their stuff, but not now; no sirree!).

MSI and EVGA have always been good the few times I had to use them. I hear good things about ZOTAC as well.

MSI and EVGA have always been good the few times I had to use them. I hear good things about ZOTAC as well.

One of the RAM slots on my MSI motherboard has died so I will be submitting an RMA soon. Hope customer service is good.

You should be good with msi.

Its just that asus is a pile of shit for rma'ing stuff.

There should be a thread specifically for the CS Hall of Shame. I would add Toshiba to the list in a heartbeat.

I'll second that on Toshiba. Sent in my laptop several years ago for an RMA for an issue on their BIOS locking you out with no BIOS password set (known issue) and got my laptop back with all sorts of phantom power issues (plug in a USB device, instantly crash your system) - I now avoid Toshiba like the plague.

Definitely a good tip to take pictures of RMA'd items, or better, a video of you opening it. Not something I've done in the past, but given the number of issues I've heard about lately with RMAs, something I'll definitely do in the future.

Yup never buy anything Asus unless it's half the cost of the next company for that part and you really don't want to wait, or if its cheapest and you feel like gambling on not having to replace it ever.

I had an Asus 7970 that they sent back to me 3 times before ending up giving me a replacement that was used. Also my current Asus mobo died right before warranty ended, took my cpu out with it. They took like 3 weeks to ship me a replacement board which ended up having a broken pin and some bent ones, which resulted in a non working 3rd slot so I can't run dual channel ram on it. Told me to pound sand as the original warranty period was over by the time I received it.

In 10 years of pc building, I've only had 3 major parts fail. The only other one was an old EVGA mobo but they were painless to get it replaced.

have to agree with everyone here, ive never had a good RMA experience with Asus.

they hosed me on a few RMA's just prior to working 5 years in a PC shop, now 15 years as IT and sys admin and part time pc builder on the side, and i still wont buy their stuff. i figure the half dozen RMA's they tried to hose me on every chance they got has cost them a lot of parts and sales on my part. even trying to RMA stuff for people when i do their repairs i just suggest the buy another product, as Asus will be 4-12 weeks, alot of hassle and BS then send me a beat up refurb back that probably wont work, then theyll try and blame me for physical damage on the refurb part they sent me back.

we used to have an Asus rep on here but i imagine given all the negative press they get from end users they dont stick their head out too often anymore.

i always thought that buying asus was like buying nikes, over paying for the name...

i always thought that buying asus was like buying nikes, over paying for the name...

not really much more money than high end MSI or Gigabyte EVGA etc, difference is when those brands fail you can get a replacement without pulling teeth, with Asus you might as well assume is disposable if you have issues with it.

One of the main reasons Amazon has been so successful is their stellar customer service. They have never done me wrong. I've had issues with a few of their associates and they have always stepped in and solved the problem. When you need to return something because it is defective or damaged, they provide you with a free return label right there on the same page. And best of all, as soon as they return shows up in the tracking system, they refund your money. I just went through this with a set of headphones that were defective.

I've had a huge ASUS cussed-umer support fiasco as well. I will never again purchase ASUS products, my girlfriend wont either just out of spite. For the price you're paying you should at least get some half decent customer support. Its a damn shame because they have a lot of great solid gear but if it breaks might as well be on your own.

Maybe it depends on what type of product you send in for repair. I sent in an ASUS Sabertooth x79 Motherboard because the sound jack stopped working. They actually fixed (not replaced) with probably a new onboard sound piece. My RMA experience was great.

I guess the Laptops go through a different RMA department maybe, or maybe the warranty is a hit/miss

The only time I had to deal with Asus customer service was when I had one of their netbooks. I had to get the power cord replaced, twice. I didn't have any trouble either time. The second time I actually went to their office somewhere, and was able to get it switched out on the spot.

My experiences with Asus, while having a time consuming RMA, were always at least positive in my favor. Bricked graphics card was DOA once, motherboard also didnt post.

I just recently had to contact them. My ASUS laptop exploded last night. Answered some questions, gave them my contact information and they said they'll be in touch with me in 48 hours.

We shall see how they handle it.

I have an asus laptop that has been through about 3 motherboards and batteries replaced by asus but it was a pain in the ass each time.

Back