Recent psu purchased seems loud. 650tx v2

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Just purchased a corsair 650tx v2 (new) from compusa.

However, the fan seems really loud (rpm wise). It's basically the loudest fan in my entire system (including my MSI 560).
Power draw fom the wall seems to be about 180watts on idle and abou 250 on CPU load.

Is this normal for this specific psu? I just got everything tied down so I'm reluctant to take it back to the store, but the noise is killing my man cave vibe.

That's weird, I have an hx650 and i cannot hear it, at all. Something is wrong I would think.

Sigh, it seems that the 650tx v2 is notorious for having bad fan controllers and fans run at max speed even with nearly no load.

Corsair forums are full of reports like that.
FML

My Corsair 750 has the same issue. Been wanting to change it for months now.

This has been quite common with Corsair PSUs since they started selling them. Would have thought they would have fixed it by now. My next one will probably be Enermax.

Doh, don't say things like that, I just got one from newegg. Sitting here ready to be un-boxed. The pretty graph on the back of the box, shows the fan should not speed up until a load of 325watts is reached.

Hope mine is not as loud as yours is, maybe I should have paid a little more for something else.

Corsair forums are full of reports like that.
FML

Well, it's a support forum and people go there if they need troubleshooting. Of course you'll mostly see complaints. Most people that don't have problems will not post there.

That being said, the TX V2 units aren't as quiet as other Seasonic based units. But they should not be uncomfortably loud.

I'm pretty sure Corsair will RMA it for you without issue.

In fact just tonight I replaced the fan in my HX750.

I slipped in a NB-BlackSilentPRO PK3. Has a low start-up voltage.

I kept the existing fan as is and used the two pin plug off an old GF3 GPU HSF to replace the standard 3pin on the NB.

Works a treat and is far more quiet. Been running it at full pelt and temps all stay in the green and no leaf blower noises.

Back