recent email virus or website that steals your passwords?

dr.kevin

2[H]4U
My parents told me that there's a website being sent around via email which steals your passwords as soon as you open the email. I mean, read the email within yahoo or gmail or hotmail. Not clicking on a link; simply reading.

I called bullshit.

but I'm still curious. Has anyone heard of this? simply reading an email can steal all your info?
You'd have to install something or type something into a fake website, right?
javascript wouldn't do damage..... ? malicious jpg file ?

Never heard of anything that could infect you simply by opening an email in google or yahoo.

They probably got an email from on of their friends that describes a terrible new virus that is the worst virus ever. My parents get those chain letters all the time.

Never heard of anything that could infect you simply by opening an email in google or yahoo.

They probably got an email from on of their friends that describes a terrible new virus that is the worst virus ever. My parents get those chain letters all the time.

yeah, they wont get the virus either if they pass it onto 15 or more people LOL!

Uhhh

There are plenty of drive by attacks sites that can pop your box with out user interaction other then browsing the website.

A lot of legit sites are compromised via SQL injection and malicious code is loaded into an iframe which then exploits some browser based hole.

i found what my parents were talking about.

it's called "Here you have" email virus. seems like old news from september.
but it requires user input to download a fake pdf file.
as usual, exploiting the gullible

There have been google ads that have been known to do this even. Flash has some serious vulnerabilities that only take a page view to exploit. It's nothing to scoff at...

Gullible people are not the only one to get exploited...

People need to push aside the "well I didn't download" or "I didn't run anything" frame of mind.

Drive by are currently a huge attack vector.

Back