Receivers with anti-loud ass commercial features!!

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Ok, so I am a bit slow to learning this but still. You know how you are watching tv and the volume goes up DRAMATICALLY when you go from a HD channel to a SD channel or some cheap ass commercial blares!?

Here's the solution:

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dynamicvolume.html

http://www.audyssey.com/products/index.html

I am going with either denon or nad personally.

There is also Dolby volume but from what I understand, it is a FAIL compared to this.

I am retiring my Panasonic XR-55 to PC duty b/c it still rocks but lacks the much needed audyssey feature.

Cheers and happy listening freaks!

That sounds great, I HATE those loud ass used car commercials that come on yelling about no interest financing and SALE SALE SALE!!!

thanks for the linkage.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve the impact. With this innovative technology, the user no longer has to constantly reach for their remote control volume button.
So, I'm guessing two things are going on here. The first stage is probably ReplayGain-like normalization. The second stage is probably dynamic range expansion, which unfortunately almost never works for a shit (sorry). It does look like their metric for setting the reference level is based on equal loudness contours, which is excellent.

One thing that worries me is that the process isn't explained in detail. It's entirely possible they're keeping the reference level low and using a compressor/limiter to keep things even, which wouldn't be all that pleasing. My TV has a mechanism like this called "StableSound", but it's based on a slow-attack compressor and doesn't produce very good results. Using a fast-attack limiter would be an improvement, but you're still compressing an already-compressed signal. That's sort of fail. It's actually pretty painful when you're watching a movie and you can easily hear the compressor working a bit too hard to keep things on an even keel. Things get a little "wonky".

Let us know how this things works when you get it rolling spaceman. I have a feeling these guys got it as "right" as anyone's ever going to get it.

Yeah. I will get more feedback from folks using it atm. I need to buy a gpu and psu this month. It will be next month until I get another receiver.

I believe that the entry level Denon can be had for around $200? I will get that just so we have an entry level benchmark for everyone here.

Awesome if it works, but does it work? Some parts like automatic "best possible" equalization sounds a bit like the marketing staff went crazy without consulting the engineering staff...it will be interesting to see how much of this works and how well.

It's Den-on actually.

It stands for "Denki Onkyo" as both the Denon and Onkyo brands are both under the same ownership.

Yeah but it is the Onkyo which appear to be having overheating issues and failures.

NAD is the solid choice imo. Denon just offers the best entry level model.

Awesome if it works, but does it work? Some parts like automatic "best possible" equalization sounds a bit like the marketing staff went crazy without consulting the engineering staff...it will be interesting to see how much of this works and how well.

Well, it sounds like an automated limiter/compressor with set treshold, standalone cheapo units can be found for 100 bucks, but the circuitry is commonly found on entry level mixing desks with basic DSP. Not to mention there are software solutions as well. Good to see this feature coming to receivers but to be honest it is strange it hasnt been here from day one.

Back