receiver+subwoofer combo

Dome

2[H]4U
I have av123's elt525 speaker and my denon 1909 recently stopped working. i also have never got around to buying a subwoofer for these things.

i wouldn't know input from power if i tried to tinker with it, and i can't find a good electronics shop to take a look at it, so i figure i should just replace it. and while i'm at it, i'll take a look at some subwoofers to go with it.

i live in a house, and i don't have to worry too much about neighbors. my living room is only about 9 feet tall, maybe 12-15 wide and long, maybe 20 feet or so, with the couch and tv area taking up about 2/3rds of the space.

i mostly play video games watch movies. occasionally i'll put in some music when friends come over, but it's not the primary focus.

Any recommendations on good values for entry level receiver and subwoofer? i don't mind ordering online but i kind of like to just be able to stop into a store to pick it up, so i don't mind buying from a big box shop, though i know the value isn't as great.

thanks

I got an open box pioneer receiver about 8-10 years ago (significantly abused floor model), i have been happier with that unit than i have with brand new units from other manufacturers that i have set up for others over the years. I would go with something in the lower end (or older model) pioneer elite series (i have an old VSX-D810S) though i can't speak to their current line-up. Unfortunately i never got around to getting a sub either :[

Edit: One Caveat, i am no audiophile, whether others think they are any good or not, i like my pioneer! :p

Last edited:
I own a Pioneer Elite model myself but on a budget, but on a budget I'd recommend the Denon AVR-2112CI. I think if you call Electronics Express you can get it for about $450. You can't beat that in terms of value.

I don't know too much about entry subwoofers. I have heard the BICs are good values. I have a HSU VTF-15H myself.

I own a Pioneer Elite model myself but on a budget, but on a budget I'd recommend the Denon AVR-2112CI. I think if you call Electronics Express you can get it for about $450. You can't beat that in terms of value.

I don't know too much about entry subwoofers. I have heard the BICs are good values. I have a HSU VTF-15H myself.

I just picked up the 2112CI for $450 from Electronics-Expo (call their 800 number from their website). It arrived yesterday, along with an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (subwoofer). Still setting it up and tweaking, but sounds great so far.

Also, do you have bookshelf or the tower speakers? This can make a difference in the importance of your sub...

I did tons of research before settling on the Outlaw, which is a great value for its quality, but it may also be out of your price range (though, given the MSRP of your speakers, I'd think this pairing should be within your budget).

The elt525 set i have is 2 front towers, 2 bookshelves and a center. i havent really thought about my budget yet, though i suppose it makes a big difference

Last edited:
revisiting an old thread with an update.

i found a repair shop that said the regulator went bad, gonna cost me 120 to fix my receiver. when that's back, i figure i'd like to spend about 350 on a new subwoofer. i know it's not a lot, but i figure i want just a little more kick than i have, and later when i have more money i can either upgrade to a 2nd one or a better one.

is there anything out there worth ordering online? are all of the big brand name stores that sell subwoofers just ripping me off? (on like polk and sony and stuff)

Definitely go ID rather than big box IMO.

I would ask for feedback over at avsforums and take your budget over there.

The budget 12" bic's are pretty decent for the money and would probably be in your budget, however, if you could extend your budget a bit you would probably get a lot more for your money.

HSU subs are highly acclaimed, and the STF-2 fits your price range perfectly. I have it myself, and absolutely love it.

I have had 2 HSU subs. They are great. I currently have a VTF-15h, but they offer multiple options for multiple budgets.

thanks for the recommendations. how about the BIC f12 or rather, 2 of them together?

i guess i need to check if the denon 1909 can even take 2 subs huh?

as far as extending my budget. how much higher should i go to do my setup (and my room) justice?

the room is 8 feet high by 12.5 feet wide by 30 feet long. the listening volume is 8x12.5x19 feet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back