Receiver just died, no idea what to replace it with?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have had an Onkyo 7.1 HTIB system for 5 years now. Model was a HT-S5400, it worked great and I thought it sounded awesome in my theater room. Recently my wife unplugged my theater center to clean and when she plugged it back in everything powered on fine including the receiver but now it has no sound output, even from the audyssey sound calibration. Quick google shows this is something that happens to a few units and there not much you can do about it, already contacted Onkyo but with it being 5 years old they wont touch it (which is fine I knew the warranty was expired).

So now I need to look at a new receiver, the sub and speakers worked great and I don't see the need to replace them right now so I just need the receiver. I know its not much of a budget but I'm looking in the $200-$500 CAD range but have no idea what to look at lol. I love the 7.1 for gaming but its not a huge deal, is atmos something that is worth it for gaming? The setup will be used for my theater room that has my 100" projector, xbox one, ps4, wii and HT/gaming PC

Few of the units I have been looking at are the
Onkyo TX-NR555
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10422591.aspx?

Denon AVR-S720W
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10419627.aspx?

I really like the component up scaling on the NR555 as my kids still use our Wii, currently thats plugged into a component to HDMI converter but it would be awesome to have a receiver that did this out of the box. Any suggestions, obviously price : performance is a big deal so the less I can spend the better but I also want this to be worth the money lol, any suggestions/thoughts?

Are there any electronics repair places around where you live?

Sometimes it is super simple things that go bad and they can be really cheap to get repaired.

Been an Onkyo user for a long time now... Have this 1992 Onkyo TX-SV 909 Pro Integra now 20+ yrs and retired to bedroom tv 2.1 ch use at the moment and still mint condition, working fine. Maybe 4-5 yrs ago I bought a Onkyo TX-NR 808, working great still, no HDMI board issues that plagued that model year, got it for a awesome price, I did add heat sinks and active cooling. I'm

Here's a great price at Amazon $293.99 for that Onkyo TX-NR 555.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had an Onkyo die on me too, as well as a Harman/Kardon giving me issues. So far Yamaha has been the most reliable for me.

go to accessories4less and find the cheapest receiver than will fit your needs. build quality is the same for most of the low end and if you don't have a 4k screen you can easily get away with a sub 200 receiver.

go to accessories4less and find the cheapest receiver than will fit your needs. build quality is the same for most of the low end and if you don't have a 4k screen you can easily get away with a sub 200 receiver.
Thanks for the tip, I went to the Canadian version skadi and got a b-stock onkyo 646 for super cheap :) Thing looks brand new and works awesome

Back