Received video card with no packing in the box barely. Return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Purchased a used video card through Facebook Marketplace and when I received the box I could hear the card thumping inside. When I opened the box up there were two small air bags casually thrown in there with the card sitting on top with no bubblewrap or antistatic protection or anything. Tested the card and was able to get a picture but really don't want it. Asked the guy for return but no luck. All I got out of him was not my fault ups packaged and shipped it for me. What would you do? Can't give bad rep on Facebook?

Thanks

Did you pay via paypal? I'd get a refund through them if there's no response. Sellers sounds like an asshole, especially since he'd need to file a claim to UPS for packaging it incorrectly (possible, but they always do a great job packaging my stuff).

Paypal may not side with you since the product is as advertised and working. You might not like the packaging and be worried about the life of the card and I would not blame you but in the context of the sale - ti works as advertised and was shipped and arrived to you.

Well I just went into bios with it as don't have installed OS on it yet. For all I know it could die tomorrow. I mean I have seen capacitors fall off video card before and you would never know it.

I did use Paypal though.

I agree that since you already have the card in your possession, run extensive stress tests on it combined with an in-depth physical inspection. Bad packaging doesn't guarantee that the item will be damaged, just increases the odds.

If you don't have an OS installed to test it, that's on you. As far as "For all I know it could die tomorrow", that's true for just about anything, but I'm curious what kind of shipping damage you think might have occurred that wouldn't be revealed by a combo of stress testing and visual inspection. Either it got damaged or it didn't. You are acting like because of the shipping issue that it's permanently tainted somehow, and causing some kind of anxiety issue on your part.

I mean I have seen capacitors fall off video card before and you would never know it.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a reference image of the card to see if there are any missing parts. Tumbling around inside a box is more likely to cause a bent heatsink, etc, than cause tiny components to break loose. And if that did happen, presumably, the parts would at least still be in the box.

Well I just went into bios with it as don't have installed OS on it yet. For all I know it could die tomorrow. I mean I have seen capacitors fall off video card before and you would never know it.

I did use Paypal though.
Is there a capacitor in the box?

Hi,

Purchased a used video card through Facebook Marketplace and when I received the box I could hear the card thumping inside. When I opened the box up there were two small air bags casually thrown in there with the card sitting on top with no bubblewrap or antistatic protection or anything. Tested the card and was able to get a picture but really don't want it. Asked the guy for return but no luck. All I got out of him was not my fault ups packaged and shipped it for me. What would you do? Can't give bad rep on Facebook?

Thanks
Should have taken pictures right off the bat. When I recieve packages, I take a whole shit ton of pics from having the package, and in between opening the package up. Can't argue with physical proof with pictures.

Fact is the item wasn't packaged with care. For example I just sold a video card on Mercari and at least they have the good sense to instruct people to 'pack your item with care'. I mean the item took a cross country trip from Washington State to the east coast via ground! I mean I have seen videocards and motherboards put in boxes from Newegg with no packaging as well but at least those were in their own manufacturer suppled retail packaging. This thing was just bouncing around like a brick in a box. So I have every right to be pissed off here and even cus the guy out which I did. I mean in all my years I have never packed anything with such disrespect to the buyer but I guess anything goes on Facebook these days.

iv had a albeit worse experience with newegg i ordered a 5900x via the ebay store since for whatever reason they ebay store had it at nearly 40% off the sites price so i thought damn this would be perfect for a mini itx build i had planned. it shows up looking like it was used to stop a truck from rolling away. took pics, before even opening it sent a msg to the store then ebay then paypal as i didnt trust it survived the trip. was told to open the box take a picture of the contents.

needless to say the contents were crushed newegg banned my account since. still cant get them to reactivate.
facebook is a rough place to do business as that is where iv had to turn for parts since amazon sucks for parts i need.

Hi,

Thanks

Facebook Marketplace has seller ratings, I believe, so you can leave "bad" rep

Appears I have one 5 star rating (sold a couple of things local)

1651095627204.png

Fact is the item wasn't packaged with care. For example I just sold a video card on Mercari and at least they have the good sense to instruct people to 'pack your item with care'. I mean the item took a cross country trip from Washington State to the east coast via ground! I mean I have seen videocards and motherboards put in boxes from Newegg with no packaging as well but at least those were in their own manufacturer suppled retail packaging. This thing was just bouncing around like a brick in a box. So I have every right to be pissed off here and even cus the guy out which I did. I mean in all my years I have never packed anything with such disrespect to the buyer but I guess anything goes on Facebook these days.
True, you have every right to be pissed off, but again it's your word against his. I'm not saying you're not being truthful, what I'm saying is you should have physical proof in pictures to address your claim that the seller didn't pack it up properly. With pictures you can then work on getting a refund. Food for thought.

I take pictures of the item I sell being packed so there's no way the buyer can claim I didn't pack it up properly. I have OCD and I pack shit up so good, you can drop it from a plane. Alot of people are not like me.

Good luck brother.

Hi,

Thanks
I use my phone to take video when I open any packages, nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back