Received my 3008WFP today.

Is it safe to say then, that the 3007 is still one of the better quality 30" monitors around if you are happy with just a DL-DVI Input?

Absolutely.

The Dell 3007WFP-HC or HP LP3065 are great cheaper 30" options.

To my knowledge none of the CRTs were wide gamut. Somebody feel free to correct but I am pretty sure that is accurate.

A few were: Nec RDF225WG comes to mind now. Possibly one Quatographic or Barco, can't find data now. They were rare/expensive though.

The designers I know are all aware of the issue and use sRGB LCDs for that very reason. The designers that I know that want wide gamut are all print designers.

Yes, in print design a larger color gamut (approx. ISO coated for example) can be beneficial if used properly.

Apple has more color management options but to be honest I don't use that OS. Does anyone know?

OS X uses normal graphic card LUT changing which can result in non-optimal color or gray-scale tracking. I prefer monitor based calibration, which of course can be used with Macs as well.

But yes, if an OS was color aware, with the right color management settings this would not be an issue. That said, I think that is a highly unlikely scenario. I don’t think the solution that Firefox is experimenting with will catch on. The reason the real push behind wide gamut is HDTV and none PC media. Color standards are designed with both the web (PC) and HDTV in mind.

I belive the same, to some degree. However with a foreseeable horizon, we are going to go beyond 8bit / component colour and HDR imaging, so I assume once we get there technology-wise, we'll also have wider colour space as standard. However, I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, nor do I believe that the change will be anything except slow.

Wow what happened here. For those with no backlight issues can you please post some pics? I am very curious as to how bad my monitor really is. It would be greatly appreciated.

Have you been updated on when you will receive your replacement?

I have had no word yet.

I spoke with my account rep today and was told they have identified a defective part and this is why we have a delay. I received my unit in early Jan and like others, I had extreme backlight bleeding.

They told me that my replacement is due to ship on the 22nd.

Will follow-up and let folks know when I receive it what my findings are.

As well, I promised some guy on here (sorry your name escapes me!) a color profile after I run my i1 Display2.

- Stan

I'm receiving a replacement for mine today. My current 3008 is a Week 44 build (Delivered on Dec 21st, AUS) So I will report what I find. I'm sure Chinese new year isn't helping production of these monitors either...

I belive the same, to some degree. However with a foreseeable horizon, we are going to go beyond 8bit / component colour and HDR imaging, so I assume once we get there technology-wise, we'll also have wider colour space as standard. However, I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, nor do I believe that the change will be anything except slow.
Agreed. I tend wonder whether we will see an in between standard or whether they are waiting for scRGB to be a reality. It could be a good 10 years off it that is the case.

Wow, I am glad to hear this. I will post pics of my replacement compared to my old monitor.

I will try to post some pics of my 3008 display this weekend. I don't notice any significant backlight bleeding ... and I have seen it on other displays (noticeably 17" notebooks). Maybe I just got lucky, or my eyesight is worse than I thought.

Ya, I have seen that review. Subjective reviews like that mean nothing to me. For all we know he was playing pac-man and didn't notice any "lag". Not to mention one persons perception of lag could be far different then anothers. We need real objective numbers.

My replacement showed up today, and unfortunatly has the exact same bleed problems (and a stuck pixel). It is a week 51 build, and has better front buttons and 1680x1050 scaled properly compared to my week 44 build. It's going back...

Has anyone talked to Dell about the brightness issue with this display, and do they plan to do anything about it??

Thanks

Dave

My replacement showed up today, and unfortunatly has the exact same bleed problems (and a stuck pixel). It is a week 51 build, and has better front buttons and 1680x1050 scaled properly compared to my week 44 build. It's going back...

Wow, that's a shame. I had high hopes for this monitor and I really want to like it, but the quality control issues have really discouraged me.

Wow, that's a shame. I had high hopes for this monitor and I really want to like it, but the quality control issues have really discouraged me.

Same here. It is now off my list. looking towards reviews of the new NEC one I guess.

I canceled my replacement, and said I would just like to return the original for refund.

They told me my return period would be extended due to the replacement being back-ordered. I don't feel like waiting and having to return multiple items or settling, for this much $$ I would not be able to live with the amount of back light bleed.

Anyone try one of those Westinghouse 37" TV lcd screens (1080P) for their normal desktop? Curious if it compares to any of the normal "computer use" LCD screens that use 1920 x 1200.

I saw the thread here, but no one seems to have the 37" in anywhere. It's only 42"+

I am thinking that with the long backorder period on the 3008 Dell has recognized the problem and is trying to fix it. Tis is why I am keeping my 3008 order open, if not I will just return it. That is the cool thing about buying from Dell as opposed to Onsale or even a lot of other online vendors for the new NEC 30".

Ya, I have seen that review. Subjective reviews like that mean nothing to me. For all we know he was playing pac-man and didn't notice any "lag". Not to mention one persons perception of lag could be far different then anothers. We need real objective numbers.

jup, I was really looking forward to that review.. since prad did proper lag tests before, they wrote in the forum that they didn't have a CRT around at the time of the review.. so why the f.. didn't they just take another LCD..? It's the same reviewer that did the 2707WFP test, no objective lag test in that one, and he didn't "feel" it on that unit ether.

BTW the tested unit wasn't from the same assembly line as the US monitors, which might be an explanation why it didn't have bigger problems..

Wow a new production model with the same problems and a stuck pixel, sorry to heart that? I think I will give them a call tomorrow and check the status of my replacement. I really do not want to give up on this monitor, I will at least wait to see my replacement. I have really grown to like the picture as well as performance other than when the screen goes black, I game on it everyday and have not noticed any lag issues.

I don't know if it is placebo or maybe even a new background, but the original brightness concerns as well as eye strain are all now gone. I did however move the monitor to its lowest position which has helped tremendously, this and just using it I am sure has contributed to this.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance if I've missed something earlier in the thread relating to this - but has anybody directly compared the 3007WFP-HC (of the HP LP3065) and the 3008? Is the 3008 based on Samsung's technology or is it another iteration of LG's S-IPS?

I've long been a fan of the S-IPS stuff and have been sticking with a 21" CRT which has now got drifting contrast (Dell P1130 /Sony G520 rebadged). I do a lot of photography stuff these days (mainly for web but occasionally printing) so colour accuracy is rather important but I don't design newsletters for high quality press or anything like that.

Display lag is intolerable. I have a pair of 24" HP's (2465) at work and they drive me crazy with the lag. I sent my first gen 2405FPW back due to display lag and had Dell give me a full refund.

A cheaper display would be a plus - but if the 3008 is twice the display of the 3007, then it's worth it to me.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance if I've missed something earlier in the thread relating to this - but has anybody directly compared the 3007WFP-HC (of the HP LP3065) and the 3008? Is the 3008 based on Samsung's technology or is it another iteration of LG's S-IPS?

I've long been a fan of the S-IPS stuff and have been sticking with a 21" CRT which has now got drifting contrast (Dell P1130 /Sony G520 rebadged). I do a lot of photography stuff these days (mainly for web but occasionally printing) so colour accuracy is rather important but I don't design newsletters for high quality press or anything like that.

Display lag is intolerable. I have a pair of 24" HP's (2465) at work and they drive me crazy with the lag. I sent my first gen 2405FPW back due to display lag and had Dell give me a full refund.

A cheaper display would be a plus - but if the 3008 is twice the display of the 3007, then it's worth it to me.

From what I've read, color accuracy was not that great out of the box with the 3007-HC. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the 3008, but in all likelihood, you're going to need a calibrator to get accurate color results with the Dells.

As a side note, those with the 3008, how is the coating on your screen? I browsed the Apple store today and took a look at their 30" display. While this is an older generation S-IPS panel, it displayed a lot of the "sparkle effect", especially when displaying white backgrounds. Very annoying and it honestly bothered my eyes. The 23" ACD wasn't nearly as bad (although I could still see it, it was much more tolerable). Does the 3008 display a significant amount of sparkle on white backgrounds, similar tho the 30" ACD? (assuming the Apple I saw displayed typical results in this regard)

As a side note, those with the 3008, how is the coating on your screen? I browsed the Apple store today and took a look at their 30" display. While this is an older generation S-IPS panel, it displayed a lot of the "sparkle effect", especially when displaying white backgrounds. Very annoying and it honestly bothered my eyes. The 23" ACD wasn't nearly as bad (although I could still see it, it was much more tolerable). Does the 3008 display a significant amount of sparkle on white backgrounds, similar tho the 30" ACD? (assuming the Apple I saw displayed typical results in this regard)

I have both the 3008WFP and the 30" Apple. The amount of sparkle or graininess is about the same. I don't really notice it much anymore until I take a look at my Samsung 243T monitor which is totally clear. I was hoping that the 305T would be as nice, but it isn't, unfortunately.

Yelnats stop spreading c**p. Lower color gamut is worser for everything. Do you even know what NTSC color gamut is?

High NTSC color gamut means the monitor can display more colors. You act as if it's the opposite. It does not mean saturated colors either, just more colors, and more accurate colors. It would be amazingly stupid for a designer (where color accuracy matters) to choose any variant of the 3007 over the 3008 is cost is not a problem.

With low color gamut displays, apart from not being able to display colors as accurately, they are particularly bad with reds. With LCD tech until recently it has not been able to reproduce reds very well. They have a murky orange tint to them.

Example:
My Dell 3008 on left, Dell 2405 on right:

colour.jpg

The Dell 2405 is a good monitor but the 3008 c**ps all over it with it's 117% color gamut, and you can see from the photo the 2405 has the classic LCD murky orange tinted red. Notice how the reds are far better on the 3008, and how the colors each stand out more from each other, color shirts are more noticable. In every possible way it is better display.

The 3007 also had backlight bleeding issues, and did it take Dell so long to fix it that the 3008 was almost out? No. So what makes you say that?
And for the record my 3008 has no backlight bleeding.

In the future Yelnats if you dont know what you're talking about it's best to say nothing.

Isn't that the problem with these monitors? I know on the 3007 the reds are "hot" so if the image is suppose to be slightly orange or skintone it ends up being red. Faces look sunburnt.

The left is the 3007 non color aware apps (desktop, web, etc.) and the right is what it should look like (photoshop)

spydervs-1.jpg

Bingo that was covered in my post. Because he was showing a desktop which is outside of a color aware program, it was apple to oranges. In other words, the 3008 image was by default incorrect because every RGB value would be the wrong color shade as the image was being displayed outside of sRGB (which is the most likely corresponding color profile of the image). The effect as is you described being "hot."

If he wants to to do a side by side test for real, he should display the same image, in Photoshop with the color management settings set to same sRGB settings (web). Then we would actually be seeing the difference between each monitor and how colors are displayed.

It would also help if he profiled each monitor with the same color calibrator as well. As no monitor is correct out of the box or after being adjusted by the eye alone.

Even without that, it would at least be what he intended to do in the first place.:D

I just ordered my 3008WFP yesterday, however I'll have to wait more than 2 months before my screen is delivered :(

Delivery is set to 07.04.08

Those of you that have ordered from Dell before will be aware that the order process can be followed online and that the process is split into different phases.

It's now almost 2 weeks ago i ordered my screen and the order itself has not changed changed phase and is therefore still in the "preproduction" phase.

I hope this is because Dell is working on a fix to some of the problems people have listed here.

Delivery is still set to 07.April.2008

I am set to get my 3008 2/20. It seems like they are addressing some of the issues since it is taking them so long to ship. If they are fixing things I am willing to wait a little while longer.

About sparkling issues. It really bothered me on my viewsonic 2025wm when I had it , but then I saw the same monitor on my parents computer and it looked great. They had a much brighter room, with an overhead orb lamp in a ceiling fan. The light diffusing off the "glaze layer" made it much less noticeable. So if you can use a desk lap, floor lamp , or room lamp that hits the screen well enough and the sparkles won't be lit from the inside so much.

Thats how it seems to work to me. I just thought I'd pass that along.

I agree, the overall environment has a major effect. For me moving the monitor to its lowest height position has helped tremendously, I am sure I have adapted somewhat to it as well because now I leave the monitor close to its factory brightness and it is better than ever.

LOL, why are you suprised? It has a scaler chip. Every monitor that has this feature will be slower than one that does not. Its a trade off.

thats true however what the hell is the scaler doing at native resolution, it should be passing the signal straight through... commen sence otherwise a very poor scaler.

PS wait for the LG, I have confidence that their new models wont have a lag problem, the LG L227WT has less than 1/2 a frame.

Those of you that have ordered from Dell before will be aware that the order process can be followed online and that the process is split into different phases.

It's now almost 2 weeks ago i ordered my screen and the order itself has not changed changed phase and is therefore still in the "preproduction" phase.

I hope this is because Dell is working on a fix to some of the problems people have listed here.

Delivery is still set to 07.April.2008

Yay my Screen arrived today!

Whats the revision? Backlight bleed????

It's Reviseion 00 and it has slight backlight bleed in top left corner very similar to the bleed in the top left corner of the pictures on the second page of this thread.

The screen seems to be defective though as every 1-5 minutes the screen flashes bright as though the backlight goes into overdrive and then the screen just shuts off while the power light stays on. I need to power cycle the screen to get the picture back. I'll have to contact Dell tomorrow.

GRRRRRRR

when i got the two 3008s (both of which went back in the first week because of problems) i noticed that they took over 5 seconds to come out of standby, whereas my 3007hc lcds were instant on the second i moved the mouse, but i found it annoying that the 3008 took so long to come on again because i set it to go to standby after 15 minutes. it reminded me of my crt which took so long to 'warm' back up.

is there a model or page to look up the LG 30" thats been mentioned?

Ouch, all of these problems and on top of it, high input lag. I think Dell dropped the ball on this screen.

Back