Received my 3008WFP today.

First I am by no means an LCD expert. I upgraded from a 24" Dell LCD.

The LCD design is great, I love the way the adjustment mechanism works.

I noticed no input lag on testing the Xbox 360 + gamecube with it. I am not an avid gamer so I just might not notice it.

Its default brightness was way too high for me. I had to turn it down to like 40. The Contrast I left to default.

The one thing I notice with this display is what I am guessing is not a perfect backlight and leakage occurring.

On black backgrounds it is actually pretty bad and distracting. In the top middle to left of the screen it looks like there is light shining out under the panel against the background outward, and the lower left corner has the same and the lower right corner has the same.

I am even wondering if I see a ripple from this back lighting on blue backgrounds on a solid color windows desktop or if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Is this something that will change at all with use? I am not sure if I should call Dell right away on this or give it some burn in time.

IMO black light bleeding is not acceptable for the price you are paying for such a high end monitor.

Dell will pay for shipping BOTH ways, so keep returning the panel until you get one you like, or until they say they will refund the monitor.

Under no circumstances accept the lcd until you are satisfied. Just be reasonable - getting zero backlight bleeding is no possible, but what you described is not acceptable.

I have been using this monitor for a week or so and there is no doubt that there is a bit of backlight bleeding however it is only seen when I see full black backgrounds. If you see it in the desktop I would definitely return the monitor. I believe it was here that someone posted pictures of theirs, and mine is very similar in black backgrounds, I am assuming that a monitor this size and this bright is going to show this a bit more. I have similar bleeding on my 226bw on full black, its just that this monitor is 8" larger.

As for your impressions, I am in agreement with the performance of the monitor and lag. It took some time to get used to playing on, it is definitely different, but an absolutely amazing experience.

Thanks for the replies,

I am going to exchange it, if the results I have turn out to be pretty consistant with the next one I get I will ask for a return.

The LCD is beautiful, if I had no plans on playing games on this screen then I probably would not notice the bleed. For 1,800.00+ I expect better.

I am very hopeful they will offer to replace it and that it is not the design of the Screen.

I am wondering if it is a caveat of the build of the panel though, I was reading other threads here and like another, if I back up several feet from it the effect is almost gone. It almost seems like the bleed is caused by some type of refraction occurring through the material in the panel (possibly due to not having the edges properly covered or something??) I have no idea how they build these.. I tried pressing slightly on the plastic edge around the panel and it does seem to have an effect on the bleed level. Like when I pinch it, it distributes it differently and where I am pinching it seems to go away..

I have also noticed there is some level of difference in the middle of the screen on solid backgrounds it is not my eyes playing tricks on me. So I am hoping I just received a marginal panel.

I have been using this monitor for a week or so and there is no doubt that there is a bit of backlight bleeding however it is only seen when I see full black backgrounds. If you see it in the desktop I would definitely return the monitor. I believe it was here that someone posted pictures of theirs, and mine is very similar in black backgrounds, I am assuming that a monitor this size and this bright is going to show this a bit more. I have similar bleeding on my 226bw on full black, its just that this monitor is 8" larger.

As for your impressions, I am in agreement with the performance of the monitor and lag. It took some time to get used to playing on, it is definitely different, but an absolutely amazing experience.
That light reflected in the background is just normal. What do you expect? If you see that in a normal app then the unit is damaged. This is like a woman complaining about her man having a penis:D

Isnt that what I said? That it is normal? And that if you see it in application use that you should probably return it, otherwise its going to be the nature of the beast,

Thanks for the replies,

I am wondering if it is a caveat of the build of the panel though, I was reading other threads here and like another, if I back up several feet from it the effect is almost gone. It almost seems like the bleed is caused by some type of refraction occurring through the material in the panel (possibly due to not having the edges properly covered or something??) I have no idea how they build these.. I tried pressing slightly on the plastic edge around the panel and it does seem to have an effect on the bleed level. Like when I pinch it, it distributes it differently and where I am pinching it seems to go away..

I feel the same, I believe that it is the nature of this monitor. With the brightness and contrast being so high on such a large lcd you are going to have this issue on a full black background. I agree though that if you see it in application use then I would return it. I play COD4, on normal use there is no issues, if I turn everything very low then it will start to show in darker areas of the scene.

I am wondering if it is a caveat of the build of the panel though, I was reading other threads here and like another, if I back up several feet from it the effect is almost gone.

This sounds more like a limitation of LCD viewing angles. When sitting relatively close to a very large LCD, the edges of the screen are at a more severe angle than they would be with a smaller screen, so the black levels aren't quite as good. To verify that it is backlight bleeding, you'll want to view it from several feet away, so angle differences are minimized.

Moderate backlight bleed is really only annoying to me when I am watching a movie with black bars across the top and bottom.

Well I have a replacment coming.

I will post back with what I find.

I find it hard to believe this is normal for this screen on black, given that it is so uneven.

Dell support is great though. If this does not work out I guess I won't be getting any 30" LCD for a long time, I want multiple input capability exp at this price point.

This sounds more like a limitation of LCD viewing angles. When sitting relatively close to a very large LCD, the edges of the screen are at a more severe angle than they would be with a smaller screen, so the black levels aren't quite as good. To verify that it is backlight bleeding, you'll want to view it from several feet away, so angle differences are minimized.

Moderate backlight bleed is really only annoying to me when I am watching a movie with black bars across the top and bottom.

I did find that this changed when 6+ feet away, but it did not seem to change at all when I changed the up and down angle of the Screen when sitting close (around 3 feet)

It also seems to be very uneven and more on certain corners then others when sitting in the middle, so if it was only the viewing angle and distance I would expect to see similarity in the bleed. I also see an impact on the level and type of bleed by pushing on the frame of the screen.

I have the same issue, I will get a replacement to see if there is a difference but I am doubtful.

Replacement is on the way, I will keep you up to date with my results.

Yelnats:that makes complete sense, I still will look at another to confirm this. With the price of this monitor I want to make sure I get the best one I can find.

Here are two pictures of my s-ips 200wfp with an all black image.

From as close as possible (~14 inches) with a 29mm equivalent lens:
close.jpg

From ~6 feet away with a 112 mm equivalent lens:
far.jpg

The red area doesn't look nearly as bad in person. I set the LCD brightness all the way up and used a fairly long exposure time.

Ok I took some pics of mine.

Any hot/stuck pixels seen are my camera's not the LCD's

I don't know how to adjust my camera to have longer shutter time, these are just flash off in the dark pictures on a canon powershot S50 camera.

What is seen in the pics I believe is worse in person.

Brightness at default level (highest) from close: (around 3 feet):
fullbrightclose.jpg

Brightness at default level (highest) from further: (around 6 feet):
fullbrightfar.jpg

Brightness at min level from close: (around 3 feet):
minbrightclose.jpg

Brightness at min level from further: (around 6 feet):
minbrightfar.jpg

just wanted to know, is the 3008 able to display native res 2560x1600 driven though the HDMI port or through a single link DVI cable?

thats horrible. thats as bad from the front as it is when i look up close to my laptop screen's corners and see the backlight (not visible from in front or angles). i would definitely return.

hmm that's pretty noticeable. though i have to admit, my 2000FPW is a fair bit worse :rolleyes:

can i ask how much you paid? and if you haggled...basically, how you did it? thanks...

Does anyone know what the time window is with dell that you can return an LCD for refund?

If the replacement I get is the same level of bleed, there is no way I would want to keep this screen. By the time I get my replacement it will be like 16 days after the initial purchase.

hmm that's pretty noticeable. though i have to admit, my 2000FPW is a fair bit worse :rolleyes:

can i ask how much you paid? and if you haggled...basically, how you did it? thanks...

I just used a 15% off E&A coupon through small business which brought it down to 1700.00 without tax.

My 3008 is as bad as your low brightness from 3ft on avg. I feel for a monitor this bright and this large there will not be much way around it. The xhd3000 had it as well, I have another one coming from dell, I am going to just chose from the 2 and enjoy the monitor, I am very happy with the performance of the monitor in normal use, obviously I would like there to be no bleed on full black but its unrealistic. Everyone who has seen the monitor loves it including myself.

My 3008 is as bad as your low brightness from 3ft on avg. I feel for a monitor this bright and this large there will not be much way around it. The xhd3000 had it as well, I have another one coming from dell, I am going to just chose from the 2 and enjoy the monitor, I am very happy with the performance of the monitor in normal use, obviously I would like there to be no bleed on full black but its obviously unrealistic. Everyone who has seen the monitor loves it including myself.

What do you like more about the 3008 over the XHD3000.

To be honest the one and only xhd3000 locally happened to be an Oct build with screw issue, a nice dead pixel right in front of me and the blackout issue. If all was good I would most likely still have it. I really wish I was able to do a direct comparison however they were at different times, I can say that I like things about both and know that I probably would have been happy with either. I will say the biggest thing I notice between them is the brightness of the 3008wfp.

My 3008 is as bad as your low brightness from 3ft on avg. I feel for a monitor this bright and this large there will not be much way around it. The xhd3000 had it as well, I have another one coming from dell, I am going to just chose from the 2 and enjoy the monitor, I am very happy with the performance of the monitor in normal use, obviously I would like there to be no bleed on full black but its unrealistic. Everyone who has seen the monitor loves it including myself.

Like I said before, the camera does not do it justice. It is actually worse in person.

It is also very uneven, and there are parts of the screen with no bleed at all and again like I said before if I press on the frame in certain places it limits and changes the bleed that is present. I will wait and see what the replacement is like.

I am not expecting no bleed at all, if this is how this panel is, then it is not for me. I put on some dark games last night with my 360 (bioshock and Jericho) it is aggravating it takes away from the game.

crimpshrine:eek:ther than the bleed what is your thoughts on performance, lag, text, etc. I myself have been very pleased with it. My bleed is also uneven with the same effect when pushing on the screen, fortunately it is not as bad as yours, I am very curious to see what the new one is like.

crimpshrine:eek:ther than the bleed what is your thoughts on performance, lag, text, etc. I myself have been very pleased with it. My bleed is also uneven with the same effect when pushing on the screen, fortunately it is not as bad as yours, I am very curious to see what the new one is like.

Viewing angle is great, color is great.

I notice no lag yet on either the 360 or the gamecube that I have hooked up to it now. I am not a FPS fanatic though, so there might be lag that I cannot detect.

After using it for awhile now I have noticed one other caveat due to the screen type.

On white backgrounds with text, the sparkle that seems to be part of the LCD material can mess with my eyes if I am tired and I am not 100%. I don't have this on any of the other LCD screens I have here in my home. (24 +19 +22) This is compounded by using the higher res.

Do I think this screen is worth 2,000.00 MSRP? No way.. Not in my opinion after using it for a couple days.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with Dell displays. They all have the same flaws. Except usually they are cheap, so it can be worth the trade off.

In this case they don't even have price going for them. Really not sure why anyone would buy this screen and honestly believe it was a smart purchase.

Totally agree, if I had to pay anything over $1299 I would not have bought this monitor, but for that price, nothing, and I mean nothing beats it.

Mine came with minimal backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, and colour that was almost spot on (out of the box). Add to that the contrast ratio, colour reproduction, inputs, hard to beat.... at $1299...

Buda :)

Viewing angle is great, color is great.

I notice no lag yet on either the 360 or the gamecube that I have hooked up to it now. I am not a FPS fanatic though, so there might be lag that I cannot detect.

After using it for awhile now I have noticed one other caveat due to the screen type.

On white backgrounds with text, the sparkle that seems to be part of the LCD material can mess with my eyes if I am tired and I am not 100%. I don't have this on any of the other LCD screens I have here in my home. (24 +19 +22) This is compounded by using the higher res.

Do I think this screen is worth 2,000.00 MSRP? No way.. Not in my opinion after using it for a couple days.

I have noticed this too on white backgrounds. When I am sitting too close I feel as though it is getting a bit grainy and I readjust and move back. I do not have this on my 226bw and do not remember it on the xhd3000. The more I use it however the more I seem to be getting used to it. As for the price, I am willing to bet that for monitors of this size with this many inputs and options that the prices will not be going much lower. There has to be a standard somewhere, I just cant imagine everyone and every pc bundle coming with a 30" monitor as standard. There has to be a stopping point.

I have noticed this too on white backgrounds. When I am sitting too close I feel as though it is getting a bit grainy and I readjust and move back. I do not have this on my 226bw and do not remember it on the xhd3000. The more I use it however the more I seem to be getting used to it. As for the price, I am will to bet that for monitors of this size with this many inputs and options that the prices will not be going much lower. There has to be a standard somewhere, I just cant imagine everyone and every pc bundle coming with a 30" monitor as standard. There has to be a stopping point.

I would not think the prices would go much lower either. The gateway and the dell from my understanding are the only multi input 30" LCD screens that support 2560x1600 res currently, unless gateway starts dropping their price I don't think Dell will.

That is one reason I said if the second screen I get is as bad I won't be getting a 30" lcd for a long time probably. I figure it will be awhile till there is other offerings with multi input.

One way I could justify to myself paying this much was the capability of using it for multiple functions while saving space.

My replacement is on its way, I received a second call from them saying that the engineers wanted to see this monitor so I will be rerouting it to them. I have a feeling that this has been an issue that they are slowly hearing about. I have been watching some movies and looking at it more and more, it has become more bothersome because I know its there and its very uneven. I am very curious as to what the new monitor will be like.

I'd take a random 1 second monitor blackout than that heavy of backlight issues.

Yea I am up in the air still. The overall performance desktop/gaming for myself has been absolutely great, as for the backlight, the more that get released the more we will see how much of an issue this really is. From what has been described, my monitor is one of the better ones, I hope the new one is better. I will post pics of both side by side when I get them with performance as well.

I'd take a random 1 second monitor blackout than that heavy of backlight issues.

For $1,800.00 I would not take either issue.

The backlight bleed I can accept that it has not been discovered given it sounds like it might be a manufacturing variance.. I can even see how the blacklight bleed might take awhile for Dell to see that it is an issue and it sounds like they are based on them asking duhokay to route it to an engineer. They have yet to ask me to send my old one back through to an engineer.

I see the Gateway 30" reset issues and anyone that has written Gateway about it has gotten standard boilerplate troubleshooting steps.

Hasn't the Gateway been shipping since October of 2007? That was the key item that prevented me from even looking at the Gateway, undressed issues that many people are having on such an expensive screen is troubling.

I also did wind up getting a call from Dell requesting that I send my original screen to the engineers to check out.

Seems to me they are being pretty proactive.

I wonder how many complaints they received on this.

I also did wind up getting a call from Dell requesting that I send my original screen to the engineers to check out.

Seems to me they are being pretty proactive.

I wonder how many complaints they received on this.

When the screw defect was found on the Gateway monior, Gateway had screens sent to engineers to diagnose the problem. Have not heard what Gateway is doing about the blackout problem.

Good to hear that you are sending yours back to an engineer as well. I will bug them about this until it gets fixed. The more I use it the more I see it on dark pages, ie this forum, so at this point it truly has gotten bothersome in regular use.

yes, i bought a pair of 3008s to replace my 3007s which are both mounted on a dual arm, my first problem is the backlight bleed, and dell (canada for some reason tho im in florida) called today and asked if i could send both back to engineers instead of 'regular' dell. the second issue for me was, with the spyder3elite, i am not able to calibrate it to get a profile for it. for some reason the software crashes when it tries to get the 3008 info, no matter what system its tested on. so thank god the lead engineer for the spyder program emailed today and had me send some logs to him to review it, i have no idea if thats the software or if its the monitor tho, im sure he will let me know.
for now, back to the dual 3007hc config....

Back