Received my 3008WFP today.

Ouch, all of these problems and on top of it, high input lag. I think Dell dropped the ball on this screen.

Not really. People who are indecisive tend to over react to little quirks and write off the thing entire which is ridiculous. I never owned a 3007 but I can vouch for the 5 seconds warm up time coming out of stand by but I thought that was due to my machine. I play games on this thing Xbox360 on this thing and there isn't much difference to the performance levels on my 2407.

So here's the caveat; if you keep looking for little problems with technology items you'll never buy anything. The Dell 3008 is extremely good value if you can get it for under $1500. Multitude of inputs and dare I say, it looks very nice compared tot he competition.

I called Dell today and they offered to replace my screen with a used refurbished screen within a week or to wat for 3+ weeks for a new screen.

I opted to wait and now we shall see what happens.

I managed to buy this screen for under 1000$ (Dont ask!) so i have no problems living with small glitches and to be honest i do find that Dell tend to bend over backwards to help you.

I do however find the screen size to be unsuitable for home use, it's just way too big, but it's still nice if that makes sence at all.

Lets see how the new screen manages to perform...

I called Dell today and they offered to replace my screen with a used refurbished screen within a week or to wat for 3+ weeks for a new screen.

I opted to wait and now we shall see what happens.

I managed to buy this screen for under 1000$ (Dont ask!) so i have no problems living with small glitches and to be honest i do find that Dell tend to bend over backwards to help you.

I do however find the screen size to be unsuitable for home use, it's just way too big, but it's still nice if that makes sence at all.

Lets see how the new screen manages to perform...

You are in Europe right ? I think they still have a few of the older screens around over there, so I would wait for new ones to arrive. If any one in the US is getting any 3008's it must be from old stock(refurbs or replacements). As far as I know the new stock has yet to arrive here. I just hope it is a new revision too.

I received my 3008WFP (Rev A00) today, and it's quite a disappointment since the backlight leak is still inherent with the new shipments. I've included a picture below that was taken with an iphone from ~50 inches away. I'm going to return this and hold out for the upcoming NEC.

f_3008WFPm_7a63df8.jpg

How disappointing that must be for you, That is terrible.
Is there no quality control with these monitors? its not as if they are cheap either.
Truely disappointing :confused::confused::confused:

Ouch, that is pretty bad. Good luck with the NEC, hopefully the quality will be better.

I received my 3008WFP yesterday and the back lighting looks EXACTLY like the picture posted above me. How is that possible?? Another thing is when I wipe the screen with the cloth provided I noticed that it's not perfectly flat. At the top middle of the screen (where you see a bright spot on the pic above) I can actually push the screen in a little and it pops back out. It seems that whoever is assembling these monitors is doing a piss poor job. I'll be calling Dell today to see what they tell me.

Sounds like the panel isn't sitting in the frame properly. That would allow light to bleed around the edges and affect the backlight uniformity.

Got my 3008 too, It looks somewhat like your monitor, decent amount of bleed. The backlight bleed is more than my 3065 but the sharpness of the text is better and it is more adjustable than the 3065. I want to keep the 3008 because honestly there is not much better right now. The NEC will cost a lot more than I paid for the Dell, the Gateway too.

My revision is A00. If anyone gets a revision A01 or better let me know. I will send my monitor back instantly.

Hey there,

Received my replacement on Monday as well. It was a Rev A00 and exhibited the above mentioned back-light problem which is completely not acceptable.

So I took it upon myself to document the issue and write it up and send it off to my Account Rep as well as a link to this thread in particular so that they can see other real world accounts.

My mail was immediately responded to with a request for my serial as well I was told that Prod-Dev / QA were forwarded the message.

My comment to all of you with this problem: If you want to help make it better please document the issue and pass it to your Account Rep ASAP. I am pretty saddened by the obvious lack of QC (or something) on the screen. There is no way I am going to tolerate a top-end monitor with top-end features having a screen that has a screen that isn't attached and MOVES WHEN YOU TOUCH IT.

If I do not see any positive movement on this issue I will be returning mine for a full refund as my 21 day evaluation reset when I received this unit.

Figured I would share my findings with the community.

- Stan

Stan definitely keep us updated on what Dell tells you. I've been swamped with work but I will be contacting my account rep about this as soon as I can. In addition to the issues with the back light leakage is that this monitor has the dreaded screen door effect. Not that big a deal but it can be annoying at times (with a white background).

BTW here is a picture of my monitor for reference (excuse the quality, I used my cellphone).
picturehw4.jpg

My biggest gripe even beyond the backlight issues is the anti glare screen that they use. It gives what they call a "sparkly" effect. I call it a haze, but whatever you call it it does lead to that screen door effect, which basically seems like there is something between you and the content on the screen.

Wow it looks like they really messed up the backlight. Same pattern on them as well. Unacceptable on a crazy priced top end computer monitor IMO. I don't know how this stuff passes QA.

Man; I am glad I didn't order one of these. I took a wait and see approach after returning the Gateway XHD3000. I figured I was lucky to get a full refund from BestBuy and need to be more careful in the future. Needless to say I was right.

Looking at these pictures, I do not see how they could have any QC at all.

Do us all a favor and jam up Dell every chance you get.

Best of luck

Dave

If you find the "screen door effect" or "haze" an issue on white backgrounds, just turn on dynamic constrast ratio, and feel your eyes bleed :)

Buda

I think these photos exaggerate the situation somewhat. Look at the blue on/off light at the bottom right - it looks much brighter in the picture than it is in reality, and the same should apply to the backlight leak.

By the way, what was the brightness setting on the monitors when these pictures were taken?

My 3008WFP also has some backlight leak at the top left, but very little in other areas. None of it is noticeable on anything other than a black background.

I consider the main problem with this monitor to be the excessive brightness even when the brightness is set to minimum. I find it unusable for text work or web browsing unless I reduce the brightness to 0 and the contrast from 50 to 40. Even then it's pretty tiring to look at.

I think the root problem is that CCFL tubes have a limited brightness range. They can be designed for high brightness (as needed for video) or low brightness (as needed for most applications of computer monitors), but it's impossible to make the same tubes do both well. The 3008WFP is trying to be both, and there may not be a good way to do that until LED comes along (I believe LED has a wider brightness range, but I'm not sure.)

I noticed that the new NEC will have two power saving modes at 50% and 75% power to the backlight. I am betting on no backlight bleed with them. The only problem is wallet bleed do to the high price.

Best of luck

Dave

In the other 3008 thread, I was reluctant to post the pics I have taken of my 3008's backlight bleed because all pics exagerate what's there. My 3008's pics look like the other pics posted here which are somewhat brighter than what the monitor is really like. Everyone here, who doesn't own a 3008 is saying how can we even use such a monitor, but in a practical sense, the bleed (what's there) doesn't really get in the way. I think the anti glare screen, the one that gives that haze or sparkle (whatever you want to call it), distorts the bleed that you see. There is definitely a difference in screens compared to my HP3065. I wish a Dell tech would come here to address these issues.

I noticed that the new NEC will have two power saving modes at 50% and 75% power to the backlight. I am betting on no backlight bleed with them. The only problem is wallet bleed do to the high price.

The 3008WFP has a dynamic contrast mode with a 3000:1 contrast ratio and a 250W (!) power consumption. It really drives those backlight tubes hot in that mode... The NEC has a 1000:1 contrast ratio and 150W max power consumption. Hopefully the NEC has tubes that can go lower in brightness than the Dell. It's too bad that spec sheets show only the maximum brightness. I think the minimum brightness figure is actually a lot more important for computer monitors...

I am betting on no backlight bleed with them.

I'm yet to see an LCD with no backlight bleed. I think it's inherent in the technology. The question is how bad it is, and that varies from unit to unit. Hopefully it's better on average on the 30" NEC than the 30" Dell, but who knows. How are the other NEC models in terms of backlight bleed? Another question is bad pixels. There have been multiple reports here of 90 series NEC monitors with bad pixels. It would be nice not to have to worry about those at that price level...

The 3008WFP has a dynamic contrast mode with a 3000:1 contrast ratio and a 250W (!) power consumption. It really drives those backlight tubes hot in that mode... The NEC has a 1000:1 contrast ratio and 150W max power consumption. Hopefully the NEC has tubes that can go lower in brightness than the Dell. It's too bad that spec sheets show only the maximum brightness. I think the minimum brightness figure is actually a lot more important for computer monitors...

QFT

I don't know how we can send this message to an industry built on marketing the highest inflated numbers, rather more subtle things like quality. Personally I like my monitors set well under 100 nits. Professional calibrations usually aim for 120 or 140.

But many of the larger monitors can't even turn the backlight down to under 200 nits which is painful for me to look at. I don't want to have to shine a bunch of compensating high intensity lights in my computer room in order to not be blinded by my monitor.

The problem with chasing these stupid high brightness numbers is that Fluorescent tubes seem to have limited range, (or they are just using cheap circuits to control brightness. PWM should get decent range) , when they get a high brightness, they lose the ability to do a proper low level for comfort, and it is like staring directly into a lightbulb at 2ft.

FYI, the back light leakage on the Dell 3008WFP is a REAL issue! The actual panel is NOT sitting correctly in the monitor frame. The panel is being bent which is creating pressure points on certain areas of the screen. These pressure points translate into back light leakage. Dell needs to review the manufacturing process behind this monitor and make the appropriate adjustments to correct this problem.

Unless we get a new revision, there will probably be no change as far as these issues. Not sure I would bother with returning the monitor until that happens. If no new revision comes out for a while, I just have to decide whether this monitor is worth it or not.

For me, the NEC isn't worth it and I don't see any other new affordable 30" monitors coming out soon, so I have a dilemma..... keep my sell my 3065 or keep it and send back the 3008.

I'm yet to see an LCD with no backlight bleed. I think it's inherent in the technology. The question is how bad it is, and that varies from unit to unit. Hopefully it's better on average on the 30" NEC than the 30" Dell, but who knows. How are the other NEC models in terms of backlight bleed? Another question is bad pixels. There have been multiple reports here of 90 series NEC monitors with bad pixels. It would be nice not to have to worry about those at that price level...

My 2405 is excellent in terms of minimal bleeding.

I also have a 24" gateway that's such a piece of garbage it's almost humorous, but I got it for such a good price I can't bring myself to toss it in the garbage where it belongs.

It's curious that the more the technology seems to mature, the worse all these problems are getting...

What I'm curious to find out about is input lag. I want to hear about experiences playing FPS games on a 3008WFP.

What I'm curious to find out about is input lag. I want to hear about experiences playing FPS games on a 3008WFP.

fair enough, but the 3007WFP-HC is a perfectly capable pannel for cheeper, so why bother?

If it was a mindblowing-evolutionary-leap sure, but it sounds like there are more issues with bleeding which to me is MUCH more of an issue than how snappy the pannel is. If I'm paying $1600+ for a monitor that makes me want to vomit every time there's something dark on the screen, how much does the input lag really matter?

Also, isn't the input lag on the 3007 rather good?

fair enough, but the 3007WFP-HC is a perfectly capable pannel for cheeper, so why bother?

If it was a mindblowing-evolutionary-leap sure, but it sounds like there are more issues with bleeding which to me is MUCH more of an issue than how snappy the pannel is. If I'm paying $1600+ for a monitor that makes me want to vomit every time there's something dark on the screen, how much does the input lag really matter?

Also, isn't the input lag on the 3007 rather good?

Well the main reason why the 3008WFP would interest me more is because I would be able to make use of the extra inputs. I could replace my TV with this monitor and use it for more than one PC as well as my XBox 360, and HD-DVD addon. The 3007WFP-HC is great but isn't worth the coin to replace my 3007WFP with. The 3008WFP on the other hand has features that I'd like to make use of.

Well the main reason why the 3008WFP would interest me more is because I would be able to make use of the extra inputs. I could replace my TV with this monitor and use it for more than one PC as well as my XBox 360, and HD-DVD addon. The 3007WFP-HC is great but isn't worth the coin to replace my 3007WFP with. The 3008WFP on the other hand has features that I'd like to make use of.

I can understand that. It's one of the reasons I didn't get the 3007WFP when it first came out, because I would have missed all the extra inputs that I have on my 2405.

I just can't get over the feeling that the 3008WFP is akin to 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Think I'll call up DSB and see what they can do for me on the 3007WFP-HC.

I probably won't use the 3008WFP as a monitor on my main box for gaming, but it will cover my other two boxen and I'll probably play my XBox 360 on it. It will also double as a TV (tuner in the computer) and be used for DVD/HD-DVD playback. So again the performance matters.

I may just pick up a Westy 37" for that job though.

I briefly played UT3 on the 3008WFP and I felt no lag. The scaling from 2560 to 1920 and even 1680 was great as well.

When I get home I will throw on some movies and check the black level. I do think the picture is outstanding, but should get even better if everything is fixed.

I probably won't use the 3008WFP as a monitor on my main box for gaming, but it will cover my other two boxen and I'll probably play my XBox 360 on it. It will also double as a TV (tuner in the computer) and be used for DVD/HD-DVD playback. So again the performance matters.

I may just pick up a Westy 37" for that job though.

After the lag specs this monitor had at native res on DVI why do you think you could handle the other inputs that would be even more lagged by scaling up?

After the lag specs this monitor had at native res on DVI why do you think you could handle the other inputs that would be even more lagged by scaling up?

As long as it worked ok for the XBox 360 and as long as it worked well for DVD/HD-DVD movie playback it would be a great choice.

But you are the guy that hates any lag, that can feel lag even when web surfing, and you think you could handle a FPS on the 360 on a monitor with an average lag of 46 ms?

But you are the guy that hates any lag, that can feel lag even when web surfing, and you think you could handle a FPS on the 360 on a monitor with an average lag of 46 ms?

I'm extremely sensitive to input lag. Yes even surfing the web. That's because the monitor I felt it on were el-cheapo Dell 19" monitors from a couple of years ago and I use mice with very high sensitivity settings. Combine the two and I can certainly feel the difference. It is usable for basic things, but not for games.

I really want know how this monitor works with playing games before I seriously consider buying it. That's all, I'm just asking for input on it.

46.6ms lag! How can you even consider it?

I don't even know what the specs are of the panel that I did feel it on. So as a basis for comparison, I can't tell you if the 3008WFP's lag will bother me or not. If I knew the model of the panel I did feel the lag on I would research it and try and find out what the specs were on it.

I can tell you this. Based on 60 FPS, 16ms of lag = 1 frame. 46ms lag = 3 frames. That is considered high by experts, it would probably kill somone that is sensitive to lag. As comparision your Dell 3007 and 3007 HC has 11-12 ms lag.

Getting subjective reports from people you don't know won't help much.

I can tell you this. Based on 60 FPS, 16ms of lag = 1 frame. 46ms lag = 3 frames. That is considered high by experts, it would probably kill somone that is sensitive to lag. As comparision your Dell 3007 and 3007 HC has 11-12 ms lag.

Getting subjective reports from people you don't know won't help much.

Yeah that sounds like a deal breaker.

Back