Received my 3008WFP today.

So, my camera was forgotten at my grandma's so no pics right now.

However, heres my first impressions:

System is WinXp, 2560x1600 on a Nvidia 7800 Gtx (256mb ram). The screen has not been calibrated.

No noticable lag.
Im not a fps player, but neither in windows, nor in wow, was there any problems that I could see. This may be different for other more sensitive people. But compared to my 2405 wfp, there was no difference.

No backbleed at all and colors was uniform across the board. The only difference in color, from one side to the other was due to reflections in the coating. I tried with uniform black, white, green, yellow and red. They all looked completely uniform.

The coating: is annoying. There seems to be a very thin layer of crystals, that are especially visible in the white and light colors. This is annoying. I suppose its the IPS glow that was mentioned above, so maybe theres no way arround it. However, to me it looks like the coating reflects the light nonuniformly, thereby creating a tingling, glittering sensation in the white areas. I am going to have to look into this. Perhaps adjusting the brightness or something will help. It certainly do seem very "screaming" in a sense. Perhaps calibration can solve this, however as I have no experience in that area, there seems to be a journey of learning and discovering ahead here. :)

Build quality: Very nice indeed. Though, as I tried to wipe the screen to see if the effect described above would go away, it seems that the glas/whatever plate in front, can be pushed in a few mm. This seems to be the case for the entire front. It does however pop right back out, and have no effect on colors whatsoever.

As for the problems that was described with the earlier versions, I have seen none of them (but then its my impression that not all of the earlies dell 3008 had the errors. It does run very hot at the top. After a few hours, its so hot, its unpleasant to rest my hand on the center top of the monitor.

General impression: This screen was bought for light gaming, and for programming. The extra resolution was what I really wanted, as well as a general purpose nice screen. I think I got it.

Thanks for the info,

Your the second persion that I have seen report no backlight uneveness in rev A02, which is good to hear. How about the brightness; can you adjust it to your liking without going all the way down to zero?

Thanks for the info

Dave

Thanks for the info,

Your the second persion that I have seen report no backlight uneveness in rev A02, which is good to hear. How about the brightness; can you adjust it to your liking without going all the way down to zero?

Thanks for the info

Dave

I havent really decided on that yet. I did turn it down to about half, which improved the image tremendously. The factory settings seems to be aimed at people who wants a tan while working :)

Anyway, I am going to play around a bit more, to see what can be done about it.

Hi all, I've just registered myself for this particular thread. Ive been following it for a while.

I just got back from microcenter here in new jersey and they had the 3007 model on the floor. Everything looked nice on it except for that 'sparkly' anti glare surface. Does anyone know if the 3008 anti glare is worse or any better than the 3007 model?

Skyblue, how are you adjusting to your new monitor?

I really am dying to get me a 30'incher monitor!

Just to post to the first guys post about the light leakage....I did have a little bit when I had a dell 2405, first gen 24 inch monitors but not to bad...I just picked up a 3007WFP for 830$ and it has 0 light leakage, I loaded up a black screen and there is none whatsoever....Considering what you paid, I hope you returned and got another one, let them discount and resell that one.

The coating: is annoying. There seems to be a very thin layer of crystals, that are especially visible in the white and light colors. This is annoying. I suppose its the IPS glow that was mentioned above, so maybe theres no way arround it. However, to me it looks like the coating reflects the light nonuniformly, thereby creating a tingling, glittering sensation in the white areas. I am going to have to look into this. Perhaps adjusting the brightness or something will help. It certainly do seem very "screaming" in a sense. Perhaps calibration can solve this, however as I have no experience in that area, there seems to be a journey of learning and discovering ahead here. :)

Everything looked nice on it except for that 'sparkly' anti glare surface. Does anyone know if the 3008 anti glare is worse or any better than the 3007 model?

the anti glare coating is the single issue i have with mine. i got mine for photo editing and i can't look at my screen without wanting to clean it... but it's not dirty. it just has an extremely distracting anti glare coating. do not buy this monitor if you didn't like the anti glare coating on other units.

mine will be for sale in the next month if i can't get used to it. just got it july 3

My new 3008 is between a 3007 and an HP 3065 with 8800GT cards.

The factory settings are very bright (desktop preset). I can turn it down with the OSM setting to be quite comfortable.

The anti-glare coating is more noticeable than with the 3007. There is a faint but definite optical overlay due to the anti-glare coating so if you are sensitive to that I would recommend against the 3008. I have very diffuse low light in my office so it doesn't bother me. I didn't get a "sparkly" effect even with trying a spot light at various angles. That was with my contact lenses. HOWEVER, there is a faint but noticeable moire pattern (sparkles?) that appears on a blank white window when I wear my coated reading glasses.

I needed a VGA input option and I prefer this monitor to the Gateway 30" for desktop work but if you do not need the additional inputs the 3008 is hardly worth the premium over a 3007 just for desktop work. (I don't game)

The aluminum frame is more "media-room" than office.

The RGB colors are uniform and very bright. 30 inches of pure red RGB is REALLY red. I'll get around to color calibrating this in a day or two as well as measuring the color balance of the various color presets and will post an update.

the anti glare coating is the single issue i have with mine. i got mine for photo editing and i can't look at my screen without wanting to clean it... but it's not dirty. it just has an extremely distracting anti glare coating. do not buy this monitor if you didn't like the anti glare coating on other units.

mine will be for sale in the next month if i can't get used to it. just got it july 3
Yep! I'm getting it for photo editing as well (and also gaming). I was at microcenter and checked dpreview.com on the 3007 model and looked at some full size canon 5d pics and it was hard to tell if the image suffered from iso noise or if it was the coating on the screen:mad:

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of purchasing the 3008 but the comments i have seen on input lag are putting me off, and i am having a hard time justifying an extra £600 on an NEC to get around this.

Is it possible to get some sort of emulator that i could run on my pc to reporduce the input lag so i can get a feel for it when gaming???

Cheers guys.

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of purchasing the 3008 but the comments i have seen on input lag are putting me off, and i am having a hard time justifying an extra £600 on an NEC to get around this.

Is it possible to get some sort of emulator that i could run on my pc to reporduce the input lag so i can get a feel for it when gaming???

Cheers guys.

if you want the same panel as the 3008 but without the scaler and don't want to shell out the extra money for the nec, hasve a look at the lg w3000h since it uses the same panel but no scaler.

Cheers guys.

i'd love to see a youtube video like this one that shows the lag. personally, i don't notice input lag.. but i usually die as much as i kill lol

Can someone of the A02 revision owners do some input lag test :p ,I am very curious if the level of lag has improved or not ?

i'd love to see a youtube video like this one that shows the lag. personally, i don't notice input lag.. but i usually die as much as i kill lol

Yeah me too. Havent really noticed anything. The mouse appears to move more or less instantly, and games appears as fast as can be expected.

I am however not a reliable witness. I think Im in love with this monitor. It simply rocks! Gaming in 2560x1600 is unbelievable. :D :D :D

I even wrote my previous best friend, that he had been replaced by the 3008, something which he fully accepted, being a bit of geek himself. :)

I have question to A02 revision owners ,where was the lcd manufactured , is it China or Czech Republic.??

So is the input lag any better on the A02 revision???

Also, Can somone enlighten me as to why the input lag is so much worse on the 3008WFP to the 3007WFP-HC? I read that it had to do with the scaler. Can you not just turn the scaler off ? I would buy the 3007 but i really need more that one input.

My Rev. A02 was made in the Czech Republic (I'm from Germany).
I've sent the monitor back to the retailer because of the "anti-glare coating"-issue.
As mentioned in this forum the "grainy-effect" on white spaces simply sucks.
Hope that Rev. A03 won't have this effect...

I have question to A02 revision owners ,where was the lcd manufactured , is it China or Czech Republic.??

Czech Republic for mine one.

Grainy effect is very noticeable, specially at white or light backgrounds :(

sRGB mode is a sh_t. After calibration, many colors are discarded and you only get horrendous color patches. The best option is to use manual RGB and a good calibrator. This way, you will have beautiful and accurate colors in color-managed apps (photoshop, iphoto, firefox 3 with color-management enabled in about:config, etc...) but over-saturated colors in no managed applications (SO windows, games, word-proccessing, etc....).

Be careful with Safari. It is supposed to be color-managed, but have a VERY BIG fail (at least, in Mac version). It defaults untagged images to your monitor profile, instead of using sRGB color space (INCREDIBLE!). So, 99% internet images and pages are oversaturated too. Firefox 3 correctly configured (color management active) defaults all untagged images to sRGB, so you will see all correctly.

My 3008 have 2 subpixels off. And colors are more or less uniform... except white. There are some yelowish tint at the centre and reddish at right site.

Backlight bleeding is unnoticeable at brightness levels I use (for properly calibration and 120 cd/m2 target, brightness must be between 0 and 6. It depends on the preset selected).

The panel can move towards inside (excuse my english again if you don't understand me... I'm from Spain) if I press it (cleaning, for instance). It makes "clic" and moves.

I have called Dell for they to send me a new one. So, I'll see which one is better and will return the other.

But I'm happy with it ;-)

sRGB mode is a sh_t. After calibration, many colors are discarded and you only get horrendous color patches. The best option is to use manual RGB and a good calibrator. This way, you will have beautiful and accurate colors in color-managed apps (photoshop, iphoto, firefox 3 with color-management enabled in about:config, etc...) but over-saturated colors in no managed applications (SO windows, games, word-proccessing, etc....).

Yes this is pretty much standard for wide gamut monitors. Reviews should make a bigger deal of this. Some that check the sRGB mode (report that it is terrible before and after calibration) but then ignore it like sRGB is some strange mode that you will never use. sRGB is still the standard and only a few applications support proper profile usage.

Any monitor that doesn't deliver decent sRGB should have a significant negative listed in the conclusions.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used 3008 Rev 01 from a trusted reseller...no dead pixels...

I went through this entire thread and I was wondering if I may get current/previous 3008 owners if this "acceptable" back light bleeding...

web surfing, multitasking, gaming is what this screen will be used for, on top of connecting my 360 (that's why I was opting for a 3008 vs the 3007 HC

thanks!

backlightbleedingbk6.jpg

:D

Por fin hombre tienes tu condenado monitor !!! Felicitaciones !!!

If you read my original 1st post on page 14 I was also concerned about the apparently lose panel in the metallic frame.In this post I speculated if this was something intended to take into account the thermal expansion when the screen is hot.

In effect: you can push the screen towards the inside with no apparent harm (...) to the monitor or image quality,

I have read many 3008WFP posts in several forums and apparently is something frecuent but I still don´t know if it´s "normal" .

And yes you can hear a minimal "click". :confused:

Color calibration is complicated,

I am using my monitor like you in the Mac environment (color preset = MAC) (as a secondary unit for a new MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz 17 HD LED 1920x1200 LED nVIDIA 8600GT 512 MB VRAM) and of course the color are different managed in each display and each application behaves different.

I have just bought Apple Aperture 2.1 photo managing software this will be the first color critical soft I will install in my setup. (I still don´t manage the soft).

A couple of dead subpixels is perfectly normal in 4 million and you will see the "grainy" effect less if you put your light sources behind the monitor.

What I think you must see soon (if you have just received the monitor) is the quality of a full white screen, this panel has superb and uniform white (not pinkish like the Apple Cinema 23 (old 1st generation S-IPS panel) for example

We will keep in touch

Regards.-

EB

White is not perfectly uniform in my unit. There are a yelowish tint in the centre and is a little pink at the right side. Yelowish tint is more annoying than pinkish side one.

Anyway, repacement unit is coming, so I will compare both of them and will return the worse one.

Replacement unit has come.

The panel is more firmly atacched, but it moves a little if I press it. But it is better than older one. The white is more uniform (altough not perfect). Colors are better (less deltaE before calibration). But have 2 bright subpixels.

That subpixels are very difficult to see. They are visible only with black (or very very dark color) background, and are near the corners.

So, I will return the old monitor. The new one is almost-OK. I know that I can ask for another replacement, but I'm tired. I must take the monitor to my car, then go upstairs with that huge box, put the second monitor besides mine one, search for bright or dead pixels, let the monitor warm, calibrate it, compare uniformity, quality, etc. in both units with different background colors, change the monitor (if I select the new one), put the old one into the box.... I'm tired. And new one can be even worse...

I have 5 years for get a replacement one. The only problem is that If I want a replacement in the future, Dell won't send me a new one, but a refurbished instead. But at least it will be a better revision...

Replacement unit has come.

The panel is more firmly atacched, but it moves a little if I press it. But it is better than older one. The white is more uniform (altough not perfect). Colors are better (less deltaE before calibration). But have 2 bright subpixels.

That subpixels are very difficult to see. They are visible only with black (or very very dark color) background, and are near the corners.

So, I will return the old monitor. The new one is almost-OK. I know that I can ask for another replacement, but I'm tired. I must take the monitor to my car, then go upstairs with that huge box, put the second monitor besides mine one, search for bright or dead pixels, let the monitor warm, calibrate it, compare uniformity, quality, etc. in both units with different background colors, change the monitor (if I select the new one), put the old one into the box.... I'm tired. And new one can be even worse...

I have 5 years for get a replacement one. The only problem is that If I want a replacement in the future, Dell won't send me a new one, but a refurbished instead. But at least it will be a better revision...

What do you use for calibration?

Cascaman:

1)
The second monitor that you received is also a Revision A02 ??? In other words can I asume that Rev A02 is what is usualy being shipped now from Dell ?

2)
Is summer in Spain ... the monitor gets very hot ? if so after how many hours ?

The heat can be brightness related ? (mine at 40% is bright enough for me and monitor runs only warm but it`s winter here)

Regards.-

E Budan

1) Yes, both A02 and both Czech Republic assembled

2) The monitor gets VERY HOT in the upper side. Now is summer in Spain, but I have Air Conditioned in the computer's room. Despite the A/C, the monitor gets very hot.

Brightness? I suppose that the more brightness you configure, the hotter the monitor will get. BUT I'M USING VALUES BETWEEN 0 AND 6 FOR THE BRIGTHNESS!!!! (mandatory for getting 120 cd/m2 of target luminance)

Can anyone with a Dell 3008 comment on glow coming from both bottom corners of the panel? especially evident in dark scenes.

There ara two different problems that could be that "glow" you say:

1) Backlight bleeding. All 3008 I have seen have backlight bleeding (more or less visible and in different zones). Two units that came with rev.A02 were the best (very little backlight bleeding). I think it is a problem of adjustment between the panel itself and the chasis (if you press the chassis, the bleeding change its place).

2) IPS Glow. An annoying reflection that IPS panels have, more visible in black backgrounds and in bigger panels (and this is 30" one!) because of the viewing angle. When I first turned on a 3008 I thinked it was almost like a mirror! Black was not black at all! Fortunately, you get used to it soon (is this phrase correct??) If you speak about this, the glow should dissapear when you see the monitor from a long distance. It appears again when you get closer.

Can anyone with a Dell 3008 comment on glow coming from both bottom corners of the panel? especially evident in dark scenes.

I'm staring at a Dell 3008 A02 with a black filled shape from a document filling the entire screen. The corner "glow" is NOT a glow it is an artifact of the coating. If you stick your nose (or a photometer) in the corners, there is NO glow. if you look at the center of the screen from a normal viewing distance, there is a distinct visual sparkle (glow) due to the viewing angle and the ambient lighting.

If you are all touchy this will really bug you. I'm pretty blase about LCD defects once I gritted my teeth and moved from a CRT to an LCD. However, I'm annoyed by the 3008 and recommend AGAINST this panel.

I'm not giving up my original 3007 for my main 30" LCDs. I need the scaler for a second locked-down machine and I may go back to the 30" Gateway that gave to a co-worker.
Z

I'm staring at a Dell 3008 A02 with a black filled shape from a document filling the entire screen. The corner "glow" is NOT a glow it is an artifact of the coating. If you stick your nose (or a photometer) in the corners, there is NO glow. if you look at the center of the screen from a normal viewing distance, there is a distinct visual sparkle (glow) due to the viewing angle and the ambient lighting.

If you are all touchy this will really bug you. I'm pretty blase about LCD defects once I gritted my teeth and moved from a CRT to an LCD. However, I'm annoyed by the 3008 and recommend AGAINST this panel.

I'm not giving up my original 3007 for my main 30" LCDs. I need the scaler for a second locked-down machine and I may go back to the 30" Gateway that gave to a co-worker.
Z

How large is the glow from normal viewing distance? I have a NEC 3090 monitor and the glow from the corners is huge, taking about 1/8 the screen at each corner. I was looking into Dell 3008 maybe the glow wasnt as bad or you could better adjust backlight/brightness.

Both monitors use the same LG/Phillips panel, so I suppose that the glow will be the same

The over effect is very noticeable. If I gently push on the lower right I do get a glow from the monitor itself but not on the lower left. The panel is loose on the right but not on the left. This glow is in addition to the coating reflecting the light so it looks like a glow.

As I said, if the glow, the coating, or the brightness MIGHT to be a problem for you DO NOT buy this LCD because you will not like it. It's not a bad LCD but it should be better.

Z

why is there no love for this monitor any more? can anyone say anything good in its favor:confused: have the kinks been worked out?

trying to decide between this and the gateway extreme 30", but i really want IPS for that kind of money.

why is there no love for this monitor any more? can anyone say anything good in its favor:confused: have the kinks been worked out?

trying to decide between this and the gateway extreme 30", but i really want IPS for that kind of money.

I was literally "in your shoes" a few weeks ago...and I was going out of my mind deciding between the HP, LG, 3007 HC, 3008, and XHD...after reading, re-reading....I went w/ the XHD and never looked back (yeah I wanted an IPS too, but after using the XHD for a few weeks, I can live w/ a SPVA panel) :D

i'm glad to see the xhd worked out for you. i'm torn because i need to use the screen with my cable box and pc (to do photo work). the xhd scaling is very attractive for HD content, but the wide gamut is attractive for photos.

yang88she, if the difference came down to $350, which would you choose?

The 3008 is an excellent LCD and the higher gamut, IPS, numerous connections are fantastic options.

But the xhd, offered a speaker bar (i know it's not like a fantastic piece for audio, but great for limited space), and a remote...I honestly can't tell you how great it is to have a remote for a lcd is b/c I use the screen for gaming and movie watching and it's so damn convenient.

I can live w/ out the gamut (plus from what I have read, the RGB gets a bit washed out and is uber bright) and I can live w/ a SPVA panel vs IPS

Ihsa:

See my review of my own unit on page 14 of this thread for pro and cons.

In short the 3008WFP have had quality problems but I still think is the 30" King if you like a balanced product with design + finish + image quality + warranty.

Defective LCD units seems to happen more often than years ago ... why ?... probably for the absurd race to lower prices where finally ALL lost (manufacturers and users).

Gateway products are not sold in my Country so I can´t issue an opinion

But just check in this same website the NEC 3090WQXi thread and you will see that this monitor (that sells for even 20% more) have had gross quality issues. (uniformity, stripes of color, etc.) the design is a big plastic mess.

Many posters blame the 3008WFP, let´s put it clear: backlight bleed is a MONITOR problem, poor room lightning is a ROOM problem, input lag is a GAMER problem, color calibration is a LACK OF TIME problem.

But what matters most ?

I recently compared subjective image quality of my 3008WFP (remember S-IPS 0.25 mm dot pitch) with my other 2007-2008 displays:

What affect more the "perception" of quality ,,, dot pitch , nominal resolution, backlight or screen glare ?

a) Extreme cases with dot pitch and same resolution:

I have a Dell 2707WFP (very big 0.303 mm dot pitch, S-PVA, a little more matte screen) and a MacBook Pro 17" HD LED TN screen (very small 0.19 mm dot pitch matte screen)

The same resolution of 1920x1200 at the RIGHT distance for each works fine and both displays looks excellent even being extreme cases of the dot pitch criteria. Both LED and CCFL backlights worked brilliant and uniform, (but LED is way better for a laptop).

b) Extreme cases with screen glare (the repugnant glossy finish):

I just take a look at the new generation Sony XEL-1 TV (widescreen but not HD) ; this 11 inch petite television available in my local Sony Style

With latest OLED technology the XEL has ultra high 1000000 :1 contrast , black levels to die for and people is not indifferent to it with lots of "uhhhs" and "ahhhs" in it´s favour.

But with a virtual "glass" screen all this OLED dream is lost , no matter how hard I tried you will see your face in the glass !!! ... unless you use it in a full dark room, you end up with a $ 2500 paperweight !!!.

Same is my opinion of Pioneer Kuro plasmas: impressive high tech marred by the glossy shit !!!

In the end the quality equation has more than ONE solution: There are many potentially great displays but everything ELSE must be balanced:

Room lights
Desktop furniture
Space
Eye level, etc

:D
Regards.-

EB

Back