Reccomend me an mp3 player

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
Hello,

I used to have a Samsung mp3 player that was 128mb. I liked it a lot, despite the somwhat larger size. Recently a moron on my tennis team thought it would be cool to mortar-style throw my backpack 10 feet in the air. Not to mention my laptop being damaged, my mp3 player was crushed.

mp3%20edge2.jpg

He is going to replace it, but my mp3 player is no longer available. I am looking for a 128-256MB mp3 player that is small, gets good battery life, and isn't any more than around $150, although I may be able to go a little higher. I have my eye on the Samsung YP55V, but am open to any opinions. Thanks in advance.

Totally. My roommate recently got an iPod Mini and the thing is sweet. He says iTunes is pretty sweet, and once you break-in the battery, it should last the eight hours it is said to last. You can't beat a 4GB mp3 player the size of like a business card.

depends on the use. I prefer 25-512mb psport compact players.

those are good for 40-+ songs.

if you're doing a ton of traveling or very bored look into those ipod shit things.

if not rio sells great compact sport oriented mp3 players. I run with rios all the time.

yeah dish out a 100 bucks more for the ipod mini, or alittle more for the regular ipod.

If you cant afford the ipod, if it was me i would get... irivers iFP-190T 256MB Flash Music Player, with FM Radio it goes for 150 i think

But the ipod would be well worth the extra money....

Also, if your looking for an MP3 player I'd look into the Dell DJ. techTV liked it... seems like a good deal to me if you like to use .wma instead of .mp3.

15GB DellDJ currently on sale for $199. Educational discount may save you even more.

Dell DJ

If you do go the Nomad/Dell DJ/Rio Karma route, I strongly recommend getting the interface software from Red Chair Software. It is another $25, but worth every penny. The software that comes with those players sucks.

They also have a version for the IPod, but the IPod software is already pretty good, so I doubt they have many buyers.

If you want a flash based MP3 player - get a IRiver one. They're pretty sweet. If you want more storage - Rio Karmas are great if you have the money, Dell DJs are pretty nice too - and Ipods are nice too (though they're so trendy nowadays that I'd never want to own one)

I've heard nothing but good things about the MuVo2. That would be my suggestion. However, if you only want 256MB, Here is the Muvo NX for about $150. The Muvo NX is much smaller, which could be a good and bad thing.

Edit: sorry, thought you were a lamez0r newbz0r, Smthnfishy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by Smthnfishy
Getting your book bag tossed hummmm I smell a NERD

Oh yes. I play three sports, all of which I lettered my freshman year. Nerd? Hardly. The bag was thrown by a moron because he is madly immature.

I have the 2nd gen Ipod. I love the looks and styling but I have to say it has terrible battery life. Spends most of its time near the outlet. I guess my battery is dying.

I heard the iRiver is pretty good

For HD based, I'd go ipod if cost was not a concern, dell dj if it is. Of course, you can go the used route and get it cheaper. I'm leaning towards the DJ myself due to battery life concerns, although smart playlists have me sweating the ipod hard.

For smaller ones, I'd consider the ipod mini, creative muvo2, and the rio nitrus. Nitrus is only 1.5gb though, but can be found for ~150, whereas the muvo2, if you can find it, they sell out fast, or the mini for 229 before taxes with edu discount.

If you want to go the flash based route, I'd get the muvo2, strip out the $400 hitachi 4gb microdrive, ebay it or use it in a camera, and purchase a cf card to replace it. Or get another, cheaper microdrive to throw in there

Another vote for the iPod. I had three flash based MP3 players before I got my iPod, and I will never go back. I have a 3rd gen 20gig and I get good battery life. I play in poker tournements all the time, and I have never had it go dead on me (some of those things run pretty long). I think the battery thing is an old issue. My brother has a 3rd gen 40gig and he doesn't see any problems either.

Definitely the iRiver. Other than HeadRoom most people will tell you the iPod isn't the best sounding (in fact I'm baffled by HeadRooms belief that the iPod sounds the best). The iRiver is more dynamic and natural sounding. It's also the same size, has optical inputs and outs, recording abilities, a radio and battery life easily twice that of the iPods.

Having used both, I definitely like the iRiver better.

And if it sounds like it should cost $100 more, the iRiver actually costs the same as the iPod.

Another vote for an iPod either mini or standard
preferably the mini it's the best of both worlds
and with iTunes and smartplaylists your set.

Even though I said the Dell DJ... my personal fav is the mini ipod. When I 1st saw it and its high price for what its capable of I was thinking "what a waste of time" but NOW, I've seen its actual size, and though about the fact that I probably have never heard 1000 songs that I've even remotely liked in my entire life.

Soon hopefull I'll be getting a mini. But if you want to store all of your music that you've kept from birth all on one thing, get the normal one.

I own a Nomad Zen Ultra, 60GB. While it isn't the perfect mp3 player, it did give me 40GB more than the 20GB ipod for the same price. Does it have all the cool features as an ipod or a sweet touchpad wheel to navigate? No, but I find it intuitive enough to go through my mp3s without a problem. If you dont have the cash for an ipod, you should consider it.

zenxtra.jpg

All of these mp3 players are at least TWICE the amount the money he's willing to spend ($150). Not only that, but they are many times larger than what he specified (128-256).

My suggestion, within the price range, is the Muvo2. I've heard very good things about that particular mp3 player. Even though I own a 5Gb iPod myself, I still long for a much smaller and less delicate mp3 player to listen to music while I'm on the go. Solid-state technology is much safer for that.

Back