Reccomend me a raid card

R

ring.of.steel

Just bought 4 new shiny 320gb western digitals, sata II.

Im looking for a raid card to do raid 5 on these disks. The server in question is a x2 @ 2.2ghz, 1gb of ram and it runs windows server 2003.

The read/write speeds i am trying to obtain are about the same as a single drive.

What can you reccomend me for under $350?

No pci-x cards please.

Just gave tmc a call and they dont sell to end users, and they dont sell in small quantities. Scan have the 4 port version but its near $450 and i cant afford that.

ohe.. .and they couldnt recommend an reseller?

well.. im fresh outta ideas..

maybe search for 3ware

that is real steep i only paid AU$720 (331pounds) for my 8-port one... and i thought that was a real big ask...

Hmm v. steep prices. If i go with a $150 pos highpoint card, what will actually go wrong.. I meen why would a product be on the market for a number of years if it doesnt work.

Hmm do you think? It seems to have a nice web ui etc, but a lot of people seem to be having problems with the arrays themselfs.

if i was u id ring them ppl back up and hammer them for a decent reseller....

To be honest i dont really think there is any, where i can get the controller for around the rrp.

I have read the reviews a few days ago, look quite promising. Will be nice to move away from raid z for while.

you'd be better off running a linux server and doing software raid under that than spending hundreds on a raid card with no XOR processor.

better performance and best of all it's free.

I was using raid-z before, which imo is a lot better then linux software raid. I would like to cut down my amount of servers down to one windows 2003 box. I dont want to use linux on there becuase of windows integration. Thanks anyway

I really hate people that tempt me into spending money like this... (j/k)

Another option for the guys that can't get these. Go to your local ebay and try to pick up a Dell PERC 5i - it will do SATAII or SAS. And generally go for US$100-US$150.00 - the only reall high priced part of it is the cables for your particular setup. US$30-US$50.00 or so each.

Not worth shipping from outside europe, becuase of customs.

Back