Reccomend me a headphone & amp, pwz

Lone_Bullet.be

Limp Gawd
Hi there...
i cam currently using a Senny PC160 in combination with an X-Fi XMso...gaming? yessir! But this headphone is pure trash when it comes to music. I had some VERY old ( 10 yo+ ) Sennheiser HD 560 Cans wich i ....gave away. St0pid aye...
So here I am, eager to listen to some decent musicquality again :(
I've looked into the Beyerdynamics DS 770 wich i *should* like because i like techno, trance and drum 'n' base....the punchy kinda music. But i can't find em anywhere in Belgium to listen to. I've seen on the website that there's a headset called the HS 300 Individual wich ( fromm what i've heard ) is identically to the DS 770 but with a decent microphone ( good for gaming ) . If i can't find or order these i'll buy some Sennies but now i need to know wich one are good for my kinda music and coupled with wich amp?....as you proba. figured out i am new to hightech headphones :). As i live in Belgium my choices are limited too...
My budget should be €/$ 400-450 Max.

ty :) n kind regard,

Lone

I'd reccomend the beyer DT770 or DT880 over the Senns. This is due to the fact that Senns just aren't as punchy and the Beyers would be better paired with the music that you listen to. I don't know where you could sample them, but I am pretty confident that you would like them. Make sure you get the 80 ohm version so it's easier to drive.

FooTemps said:
I'd reccomend the beyer DT770 or DT880 over the Senns. This is due to the fact that Senns just aren't as punchy and the Beyers would be better paired with the music that you listen to. I don't know where you could sample them, but I am pretty confident that you would like them. Make sure you get the 80 ohm version so it's easier to drive.

ah ty :) And what is the main difference between the 770 and 880 ? Could you take a guess what price these go retail? Oh and wich amp do you reccomend? ( i prefer DIY amps, as building electronics is half the fun of using it ^^ )

Lone

250 and 300. The dt770 is close and the dt880 is open. There are other differences but I'm pretty unfamiliar with the beyer cans.

Amps... As for DIY, I've only dealt with CMOY amps for DIY. I'm still not good enough at soldering to be building good amps.

FooTemps said:
250 and 300. The dt770 is close and the dt880 is open. There are other differences but I'm pretty unfamiliar with the beyer cans.

Amps... As for DIY, I've only dealt with CMOY amps for DIY. I'm still not good enough at soldering to be building good amps.
thank you :) the reason i go DIY is that i can build it in my PC's double floppybays ( yes it'll be EM shielded ) and connect them internally with my X-Fi ( there will be a switch provided to choose the X-Fi or external source like MP3 player.Perhaps i need to connect it to a molex too... ^^ Anyway budgetwise it seems i'll be getting the HS 300 if it's true that they're identical to DT 770's.

Any suggestions/comments?

Lone

I'm very interested in your project to integrate an amp and PC. Let me know how it goes. My next computer might have an integrated amp in it too.

ty^^ it'll be quite....well risky as i haven't mod a PC yet....but i was allways interesting in doing so...the case is my Sonata 1. Wish me luck and ty for your interests :)

Lone

If you can manage to go secondhand and evade customs fees, that budget will put you right into the one of the best electronica setups there is (maybe need to stretch the budget a little for the extra shipping for the amp).

My main electronica rig is a Eddie Current / Laconic EC-01 amp with a DT770/250. This is a great, great slamming setup with a very full and deep bass. The mids are a bit held back but that's no problem for electronica (It's far less held back than a DT770 that's not properly amped). I enjoy it alot for any electronica listening that I do. Look into the EC-01 and DT770/250.

A DT770/250 will run you into +-$150 shipped to Belgium (there's one for sale now on Head-Fi for $135 shipped in the US, add a bit more than $25 for shipping to Belgium. A EC-01 secondhand should run around $250 to $300, if you can find it. It's $350 new from Eddie Current, or alternatively you can get it straight from Laconic for much cheaper, AFAIK.

One word of caution: if you go the EC-01 route make sure you have a 250ohm or even 600ohm version. The EC-01 is so powerfull I reach painfully loud levels at only 1/3rd of the volume swing, my normal listening level is at 1/10th. And that's with a 250ohm DT770. I can imagine volume control becoming a problem with a 80 ohm DT770.

setupok9.jpg

It's the grey amp in the middle.

thank you :D i'll certainly look into it....to bad i can only buy em next month ( paycheck etc. ) and i don't be getting such an incredible AMP cos of 1. they need to be DIY or at least fit the size of a double floppybay ( i won't dismantle a €/$300 amp :s WAY to risky ) and 2. The way you said it's one of the best electronica setups availble I feel like i am going over the top...i don't need the absolute best ^^ as long as it's above average and highly enjoyable.

mmmm it seems i am a difficult boy ^^

ty v mucht for the advice though!

Lone

Well, a double 3.5 bay is rather small for an amp.

have you gone to www.head-fi.org and ask about amp designs there? They have many many more people into DIY audio there.

erm...no...sry ^^ registering now, though.
And then whats the deal about the DIY amps the size of a packet sigarettes? iv' seen them in the ' show us your headphone-amps - thread.

Little update:
Thinking about double 3.5" inch bays would be too small AND if i were to upgrade my case i have the chance i cant install em cos the case would only have one 3.5" bay *catches breath* I changed my mind to get a 5.12" bay case.i dismanteled a '97 hitachi slotloading CDROM drive and took the casing. now i have 4 powersupply options....5V, 7V or 12V on my OCZ Modstream 520W PSU or an external 9V PSU ( bricktype ). I've seen MANY DIY/portable amps use a single or double ( in parallel ) 9V battery, i wonder if i can change the value of some resistors so i can get the Amps work on the internal 5-7-12 volts.

I cant ask at headfi for the moment cos my mailserver is down for unknown ( yet ) reasons so i'll ask here. Can anyone give me an example of the power needed to feed the OpAmps etc. ( so i can bypass the powercircuit of the AMP's PCB. )

ty for your interest ^^

Lone

1) Switching power supplies suck for audio.
2) Power supply ground and audio ground are the same in a computer.
3) Even 12volts is not enough voltage for some of the better JFET op-amps.
4) If you think you can handle soldering SMD components this sounds like a perfect little project for you----------> http://www.ecp.cc/HPDAC.html

1) err okay...didnt know that *ashamed*
2) yeh...and....that's bad ? ( interference ? ) if so i just have them fed on a brick like PSU and have the bricklike psu build in the computer ^^
3)ah i see....but i don't néééd the best ;). Just something i can use to ampify my PC - X Fi signal ( the internal connection for the breakoutbox, that is....cos i have speakers too and want to switch between em )
4) oh dear...smd....no experience with it at all....
5)...yeh i am a REALLY difficult boy :' ( but i'll repost it at the head-fi forums...since the mailserver is up and running again :)

thank you for your kind responces and help
if you are interested i'll post an update with some kind of worklog...

Try this then:

One-Rail.jpg

Credit goes to Headwize member PRR for the modified CMoy that will run on a single voltage supply it also plays nice inside a computer (assuming of course that you sheild it pretty well and add some PSU regulation)

Here is a version with a conventional volume control instead of a switch:

One-Rai2l.jpg

great :D thx !! argh... now i feel like bothering the Head-fi communiy cos i posted up there too :rolleyes:
hmmm your name....' the Famous Mr. X ' everyone is talking about? :)

Lone

Mister X said:
Try this then:

One-Rail.jpg

Credit goes to Headwize member PRR for the modified CMoy that will run on a single voltage supply it also plays nice inside a computer (assuming of course that you sheild it pretty well and add some PSU regulation)

Here is a version with a conventional volume control instead of a switch:

One-Rai2l.jpg
Not to threadcrap, but those schematics look eerily similar to the partical antimatter ion flux phaser beam photon ray found on a class IV imperial warship such as the imperial star destroyer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_laser_cannon .

I might get into this DIY audio stuff. What are my prospects of success if my hands are fat, slow, and twitchy? Also, I have a little ADD and the last time I soldered something was when I attatched a spider to a cockroach with a 30 watt iron.

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:
Not to threadcrap, but those schematics look eerily similar to the partical antimatter ion flux phaser beam photon ray found on a class IV imperial warship such as the imperial star destroyer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_laser_cannon .

I might get into this DIY audio stuff. What are my prospects of success if my hands are fat, slow, and twitchy? Also, I have a little ADD and the last time I soldered something was when I attatched a spider to a cockroach with a 30 watt iron.
well i know they those thingies are...and mostly what they do but DONT ask me what kinda voltage i will have at a certain point ^^ also i am still seatching what kind OpAmd i need... so considder me an exploring beginner :)
The importing thing is .... it does what you expect it to do ;D
it aint that hard, solering...just 1 rule...less is more....less solder are cleaner and better solderingpoints, less heat cos too much will burn your IC, component...etc...
Also a fine point comes to handy ( so it doent matter if you're THAT handy or not )
etc....i am not the best teacher here :)

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:
Also, I have ADD.
I knew it!

Anyways, with small SMD components, you do need a steady hand when soldering, especially little chips.

amen to that.

Also, the building an amp into one of the bays sounds intriguing, I think I might just have to try it out myself. :D

digitalmind said:
If you can manage to go secondhand and evade customs fees, that budget will put you right into the one of the best electronica setups there is (maybe need to stretch the budget a little for the extra shipping for the amp).

My main electronica rig is a Eddie Current / Laconic EC-01 amp with a DT770/250. This is a great, great slamming setup with a very full and deep bass. The mids are a bit held back but that's no problem for electronica (It's far less held back than a DT770 that's not properly amped). I enjoy it alot for any electronica listening that I do. Look into the EC-01 and DT770/250.

A DT770/250 will run you into +-$150 shipped to Belgium (there's one for sale now on Head-Fi for $135 shipped in the US, add a bit more than $25 for shipping to Belgium. A EC-01 secondhand should run around $250 to $300, if you can find it. It's $350 new from Eddie Current, or alternatively you can get it straight from Laconic for much cheaper, AFAIK.

One word of caution: if you go the EC-01 route make sure you have a 250ohm or even 600ohm version. The EC-01 is so powerfull I reach painfully loud levels at only 1/3rd of the volume swing, my normal listening level is at 1/10th. And that's with a 250ohm DT770. I can imagine volume control becoming a problem with a 80 ohm DT770.

setupok9.jpg

It's the grey amp in the middle.

In reference to the DT770's, how much more power does the 250ohm require compared to the 80ohm? Will a PA2V2 be enough to power the 250ohm? I know that amp is a "budget" amp, but my inquiry still stands.

Khaydarin said:
In reference to the DT770's, how much more power does the 250ohm require compared to the 80ohm? Will a PA2V2 be enough to power the 250ohm? I know that amp is a "budget" amp, but my inquiry still stands.
Can't speak for the 80ohm version, but with my audigy 2 zs at 50% volume, I have no trouble at all powering my 250ohm DT770pro's off the PA2v2. I never go past 1/2 volume (rarely go past 1/3).

I've never listened to headphones running off of an amp. Does it make a big difference?

Back