reccomend / help me find a good modular psu

NeilFarted

Gawd
here are the specs on what i'm putting together:
Antec NSK2480 case, Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 mobo, AMD X2 4200+ 65W, GIGABYTE GV-NX86S256H GeForce 8600GTS, 2GB OCZ PC6400 platinum, AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe TV Tuner Card, plus a dvd burner(probably ide but maybe sata), either one or two sata 3.0 HDDs(with the possibility of one of them being a sata 1.5 raptor), and a 54Mbs Wireless card(PCI). I've read that it's not really about watts, but amps, and i have no idea how to figure out how many amps per rail and all that. i'd like something nice, but not too expensive, this is for a htpc so i'm not going to be overclocking. any help is appreciated. thanks!

I would recommend either Corsair or OCZ modular power supplies.

what kind of watts/amps per rails/number of rails should i be looking for? and how do i figure it out for myself? thanks.

You won't need much more than a 500 watt power supply. With Nvidia cards, I consider 24 amps total on the 12 volt rails to be standard. That way you can upgrade videocards without having to buy powersupplies all the time. I'm kind of torn about the single high powered 12 volt rail vs the mult-rail 12 volt rail system. Depending who you believe either type is superior.

I use this one and I like it. It is just a few days old. So, I don't know anything about its long term reliability. Runs cool, too. I'd stay away from Antec.

i ended up getting an antec neoHE 500W on ebay for $40 shipped. thanks for all the advice.

Back