Rebuilt Water loop and + GPUs how are these temps?

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So this is not a humble brag or anything of the sort. I honestly don't know how "good" these temps are. I haven't spent a lot of time tuning my 5960x but it seems like a below average chip.

Loop:
2x Alphacool XT45 Rads (push / pull)
2x D5 Pumps in serial
EK Supremacy CPU Block
2x EK 1080Ti GPU blocks
16x Corsair SP120 High Performance Fans (Yes, I know they aren't great) at 50% speed

Hardware / Settings:
5960x @ 4.5GHz Adaptive voltage - vcore ends up being 1.325
2x EVGA FE 1080Ti +150 core offset (hitting the power limit in some games, no instability)

Running x264 bench: Other than gaming, this is the most stressful thing this rig does. The highest peak core temp is 66c (oddly package temp is higher than core temp, peaks at 71c)

FireStrike Ultra - Max GPU temp is 33c (in fact, 33c is the highest GPU core temp I've seen)

What are typical temps on water and are these decent?

About my 5960x - I hear that there can be more tweaking done with lower voltage on these chips. Any advice here would be helpful.

It depends on your ambient temp. A temperature delta of 7 is really good for 2 1080Ti's if you're room is 25c which I'm assuming it's around there, I would say average water builds are around a 15c delta on GPU. The CPU seems high though, but I might just be wrong since I never watercooled a 5960x, so won't comment too much on that.

It depends on your ambient temp. A temperature delta of 7 is really good for 2 1080Ti's if you're room is 25c which I'm assuming it's around there, I would say average water builds are around a 15c delta on GPU. The CPU seems high though, but I might just be wrong since I never watercooled a 5960x, so won't comment too much on that.

So my basement is pretty cool (House is set between 68-72F and the basement is cooler than that) so I may be on a bit higher end of the temp scale then. I realize with my thinner rads and kind of crappy fans that could be why I'm a bit higher than I should be.

The 5960x sucks down power. If I spent more time tweaking it I could probably get the vcore down further.

I've got a 5820k running around 1.3V, and those are the temps I see under full loads. The video card(s) (I used to have a pair of 980Tis, and now have a single 1080Ti) are ice cold, and the CPU will hit mid-60s. That with a 360+280 rad combo and a single D5.

So actually it's not terrible then if my room is at 68F (or 20c) and my GPUs usually sit at 30-32c. Doesn't sound great but not terrible at least.

So actually it's not terrible then if my room is at 68F (or 20c) and my GPUs usually sit at 30-32c. Doesn't sound great but not terrible at least.

You're never going to get them down to ambient, no matter how many radiators or pumps you add.

Well yeah I realize that, just curious how the system is doing to your "average" setup.

It looks pretty good to me. The HEDT chips are nice little heaters once you start pushing the higher OCs and voltages.

The Pascal cards are a different matter... from what I've seen, if you go with custom water, there's no way to get them hot. Crank up the OC and power to the max, and no matter what you won't come close to a thermal limit. You might get one to 45C or so, but that's about it.

Yeah so my cards can stay at +150 core (haven't tried memory yet) with the power limit and stock voltage (using MSI afterburner). I may try to up the voltage (I don't think there is a bad value here as it doesn't give you a lot of room to play with like a CPU would) and hope for a little bit more (more than 2025 core clock). I'd like to hit 2100 but I believe I'd have to mod the BIOS which I don't want to do.

Yeah so my cards can stay at +150 core (haven't tried memory yet) with the power limit and stock voltage (using MSI afterburner). I may try to up the voltage (I don't think there is a bad value here as it doesn't give you a lot of room to play with like a CPU would) and hope for a little bit more (more than 2025 core clock). I'd like to hit 2100 but I believe I'd have to mod the BIOS which I don't want to do.

One pretty easy way to bump the amount of power your cards can pull without flashing them is with the shunt mod. Its exactly the same for the 1080 ti as the pascal titan x, the overclock.net official 1080 ti thread has some pretty good guides linked in the first post

One pretty easy way to bump the amount of power your cards can pull without flashing them is with the shunt mod. Its exactly the same for the 1080 ti as the pascal titan x, the overclock.net official 1080 ti thread has some pretty good guides linked in the first post

Knowing my luck I'd probably fry my card. I saw that earlier as I had never heard of it before. I'd rather mod the BIOS lol.

Another thing you might try is undervolting. When playing around with my watercooled 1080 ti, I found that lowering the voltage can increase performance at the same clockrate in certain circumstances, and it lowers the power draw at the same clockrate too. Its safe too, just use the latest beta version of afterburner and enable the 3rd party voltage control.

Interesting. I'll have to pull the latest beta to see. You said undervolting showed better results? I can believe it but haven't tried it myself. If be interested in tuning my 5950x more.

Play around with it, I was surprised too. Just benchmark after every change you make, so you know what to attribute it to. I was trying to get the best balance of performance and heat, and was surprised at certain clockspeeds, it would bench higher after I lowered the voltage from the default. Probably down to the core not getting as hot and making it stay below power limits so it doesn't throttle as much. It seems there is a bit of headroom to lower it and maintain default clocks on the pascal cards.

You will have to find the sweet spot, where lowering it any further amount will still be stable, but perform worse.

Back