Reasons For Higher Temps on Old E6600

illram

[H]ard|Gawd
So a few weeks ago I was replacing fans in one of my old builds and to make a long story short, my ancient intel stock cooler came loose. I ordered a Rosewill RCX-z775 cooler (cheap, almost exactly like stock cooler) to replace it. I figured it would give me the same performance as my old stock cooler at the very least.

Unfortunately, my CPU cores are now in the 50s at idle and the mid to high 60s at load (using realtemp with intel's reported TJ Max settings.) These temps are about 10-20 degrees higher than they were with the stock cooler (20 higher at idle, 10-15 higher at load). Reviews on the Rosewill cooler indicate that it should not be performing that much worse than my old stock cooler, so I am wondering what this is about.

Specifically I am looking for second opinions from the well informed [H] forum's hive mind on the following:

a) is this ultimately a problem? It is on maybe 4-8 hours a day max and is used primarily for web browsing or playing old games; it is rarely stressed. At idle I am usually around 30-35 below TJ Max, at load around 16-18. I've scoured the web for accurate life-cycle figures and I cannot really gauge how much this is affecting my CPU's life, other than simply guessing it is shortening it. But how much? In my experience CPUs are tougher sons o' bitches than people make them out to be...

and,

b) if I do address it, what is the likely culprit? The cheap thermal compound that was on the cooler out of the box? I have read that arctic silver maybe takes temps down 5 degrees or so, I am not sure that is significant enough to warrant the hassle. Or is the cooler perhaps not seated properly? ( I would think that if it was not seated properly I would see wildly higher temps than 50s at idle....more like 80s with possible thermal shutdown incidents on load.) Looking at the clamps they all look properly fitted and the cooler itself is totally secure, no give whatsoever.

My case is a mid-tower Lian-Li PC-61, with 4 80mm fans running at 1500 RPMs, all working. CPU fan is usually around 950 RPM. Turing up the RPMs reduces temps somewhat but not down to stock cooler levels. I prefer to keep it low due to noise.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Back