Realtek Driver Download Stupidity

Realtek has always been trash. Haven't you noticed?
no it hasn't. if it was it wouldn't be on over half the mobos on the market.

Went to download Realtek audio drivers today. The download button now prompts you to enter an email address, to which they send a download link. Upon clicking this link you have to enter a captcha (which has no refresh button). Then finally the driver downloads. What the fuck, Realtek?
yeah combating outside links. i go here for the newest new drivers: https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24364-latest-realtek-audio-codecs/?page=27

When a simple driver gets that complicated I just search the filename. Plenty of other places it will be far less time intensive to get from.

no it hasn't. if it was it wouldn't be on over half the mobos on the market.

That, and quality depends more on the implementation. The quality of the 1220A that ASUS put on my Z170 board is surprising, having no issue running 250Ω-300Ω cans (Beyers and Senns) cleanly. Most motherboards don't rise above a signal that manifests itself mostly as audio mud with higher impedance cans.

That, and quality depends more on the implementation. The quality of the 1220A that ASUS put on my Z170 board is surprising, having no issue running 250Ω-300Ω cans (Beyers and Senns) cleanly. Most motherboards don't rise above a signal that manifests itself mostly as audio mud with higher impedance cans.
In my experience Realtek has always been problematic with drivers and the quality is mostly questionable. Even their logo looks like a friggin crab of all things. I seriously dislike the brand.

must not have that much experience with them then and I thought everything just works like magic under Linux?

that's the case with 99% of onboard though, they aren't meant to drive high end cans but that doesn't mean the audio is shit.

In my experience Realtek has always been problematic with drivers and the quality is mostly questionable. Even their logo looks like a friggin crab of all things. I seriously dislike the brand.

I won't deny having had occasional problems with them, but for the most part their products are solid and their drivers functional. They're not Intel, but their stuff is everywhere and it works.

I also don't see how the aesthetics of their logo has anything to do with it.

When I find a driver that both works and sounds good I tend to never update the Realtek drivers, for me it's a set & forget thing as older drivers can work better than newers too.

As far as sound quality goes, I prefer the onboard sound in subjective listening tests of ASRock motherboards to my STX II, ZxR and G5 soundcard. The bass on the onboard is punchier and a bit more impactful than that of STX II but much tighter and without the bloat of ZxR's. G5 sound overly smooth, smoother than your typical DACs. The ASRock Realtek config sounds like taking the good parts of those 3 and mixing it together in a detailed but fun sound at the same time, keyword being "detailed & punchy".

Same goes to some who feel that Killer Networking is better than Realtek and end up with problems.

They are usual pretty old compared to getting them from realtek directly
When I use the driver from the mobo webite, I see options like enable Dolby/DTS 5.1 encoding (then bitstream via SPDIF optical). But when I use the audio driver from Realtek website, I don't see such option. Did I miss anything?

When I use the driver from the mobo webite, I see options like enable Dolby/DTS 5.1 encoding (then bitstream via SPDIF optical). But when I use the audio driver from Realtek website, I don't see such option. Did I miss anything?
dolby licensing, Realtek doesn't have it. you can get dolby enabled drivers from the link I provided earlier.

Back