Realtek ALC662 Asrock mainboard, driver install error 0xE0000227

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
I just built a new system with an Asrock A780FullDisplayPort mainboard (AMD 780G, SB700), which has a Realtek ALC662 HD Audio chip onboard. The OS is Win2003 Server Enterprise R2 SP2.

During installation of the audio driver (the one from the Asrock CD as well as the Realtek site), the installation gets nearly to the end where it pops up an error ("Realtek HD Audio Driver installation failed / [Error Code: 0xE0000227]"), after which the installer quits.

I did enable audio in the OS and fully patched it up including the HD audio hotfix, yet the error persists. A Google search revealed a few more people with this issue (on different mainboards), yet without a solution.

Anyone care to hit me with a cluebat? :)

Okay, so I deleted two keys in the registry (under 'Enum', change the permissions on one), had it rescan the system, which reset the audio device to an 'Other Device'. Now I was able to install the driver, rebooted and Windows finally wanted to install the audio device. At long last I have sound :)

Only issue now is what I noticed before in WinXP x64, namely that the audio skips and glitches whenever I'm typing :(

If I can't solve this issue, this mainboard is so going back :mad:

Could you please detail exactly how to reset the audio device to "other device" I'm getting the same error on my ASUS Eee PC.

Thanks!

Open 'regedit' (Start -> Run), search for 'enum'. There should be two occurrences. Both will have a subfolder called 'HDAudio'. Delete both HDAudio folders (one may require changing the permissions on it). At this point you should be able to install the driver. Have Windows search for new hardware. It should detect the audio device as though it has never seen it before, and install the drivers for it.

heres a sound piece of advice from a wise old man:

don't buy asrock boards.

Heh, the two MSI and Asus boards I bought years ago were plagued with crippling faults (broken CPU voltage regulator circuit on the MSI, Asus board only like a dozen very specific sticks of RAM). I've used Asrock for my own systems and for those I built for others for years now, and never had any issus with it. This is the first Asrock board which is giving me some kind of issue.

Thanks a bunch! That fixed my problem..now I have a fully functional Eee PC running WinXP Sp3. =)

Finally.... this was bugging me for two weeks on my WHS. On a Foxconn board.

Thanks!

Back