Really whats the deal?

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
Man it's been so long since I have even cared to look for or at a HL2 thread but honestly I've got some money invested and I'd like to see myself get what I deserve. In all reality everyone that bought an ATI card that was promised to receive HL2 has some money invested into this damn game.

Anyone heard any recent news on it’s release? I don’t mean to beat a dead horse here but I was just wondering. The other day I ran across a post in some forum and this guy says

I don’t trust Gabe “Lord of the Pies” Newell any further then what I can throw him… And trust me that ain’t far

I found that rather assuming. Anyway just wondering what the word is on this game.

Thanks guys; let the flaming begin.

my random opinion: i'm really getting tired of this lame "neither doom 3 or half-life 2 is coming out!!!" they're coming out. eventually.

HRslammR said:
my random opinion: i'm really getting tired of this lame "neither doom 3 or half-life 2 is coming out!!!" they're coming out. eventually.

No i totally agree with you; like I said I don't like posting dumb repeat stuff. I was just wondering if anyone had any new "news" ya know.

I keep hearing end of summer, but I don't know. I would be surprised if it is here before the Christmas rush.

It was funny because about 5 months ago now I got some stupid Half Life disc in the mail. If I remember correctly it was some retention thing for customers who purchased card with HL2 vouchers. Kind of funny.

If anything, it's taught a lesson to those people who watch store shelves every day to see if this or that game appears.

This'll sound harsh, but it's intended to save you grief later on. For such high profile games, it's better to ignore them completely until they hit the shelves. Seriously. Just accept the fact that you'll buy it no matter what when it does come out; any specs that you hear will be either mistaken, untrue or just wrong; and it won't come out when you want it to.

The end result is that you still get your game, you save spending money on your computer you don't really need to and fewer headaches. I know that I'll get Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Duke Nukem Forever when they come out no matter what. I'll deal with those games and their requirements when Store X puts the box out for me to buy.

People who constantly follow dates, screenshots and developer sightings will just set themselves up for disappointment. Follow my method and you'll be impressed with the game when it comes out.

Torgo said:
If anything, it's taught a lesson to those people who watch store shelves every day to see if this or that game appears.

This'll sound harsh, but it's intended to save you grief later on. For such high profile games, it's better to ignore them completely until they hit the shelves. Seriously. Just accept the fact that you'll buy it no matter what when it does come out; any specs that you hear will be either mistaken, untrue or just wrong; and it won't come out when you want it to.

The end result is that you still get your game, you save spending money on your computer you don't really need to and fewer headaches. I know that I'll get Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Duke Nukem Forever when they come out no matter what. I'll deal with those games and their requirements when Store X puts the box out for me to buy.

People who constantly follow dates, screenshots and developer sightings will just set themselves up for disappointment. Follow my method and you'll be impressed with the game when it comes out.

That is a very good point! I might have to start doing that! Good call!

I heard it's a conspiracy between the video card manufactures and the makers of both Doom3 and HL2.. apparently they cut out a deal where they will post pone the release date and rant about how advanced the graphics are going to be, to get more people to buy high end cards like 9800 pros and x800, and the nvidia one (sorry haven't kept up with what nVidia is up to). Then after people buy all these cards, they post pone it again and start the same process. ATI and Nvidia are sharing the extra profit with the id and valve (valva makes HL right?..sorry i'm not a hardcore gamer)

;)

But that's just me....

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I heard it's a conspiracy between the video card manufactures and the makers of both Doom3 and HL2.. apparently they cut out a deal where they will post pone the release date and rant about how advanced the graphics are going to be, to get more people to buy high end cards like 9800 pros and x800, and the nvidia one (sorry haven't kept up with what nVidia is up to). Then after people buy all these cards, they post pone it again and start the same process. ATI and Nvidia are sharing the extra profit with the id and valve (valva makes HL right?..sorry i'm not a hardcore gamer)

;)

But that's just me....

Yeah they are all out to get us. ;) Today this... Tomorrow the world.

I'm getting tired of both really. Too much hype about their release has made me feel worse about pc gaming. I was planning on upgrading my pc a bunch for just those two games, but now its looking like consoles are making a comeback espically now that there are a lot of online games for them. As for these games, halo 2 is looking more promising imo but we will have to wait and see if they actually do release it in november.

CypressTree said:
TORGO! I knew that a HL2 thread could pass without you, my friend. :)
Next time a HL2 thread comes up, I'll just pass out tinfoil hats and rations.

Better yet, now that the search button is working I'll just post links to it.

Torgo said:
Next time a HL2 thread comes up, I'll just pass out tinfoil hats and rations.

Better yet, now that the search button is working I'll just post links to it.

tinfoil007.jpg
they're always watching...

but i agree though. if you just ignore it and don't care or listen to what anybody says then it'll come sooner than ya think. but i think the "the video card makers and blah blah! are in cahoots!" is about the most retarded thing i've heard. i really hope there's not people who actually believe it because my goodness.

At e3, Valve showed some more impressive movies and said it would be out this summer, not specific date. DOOM 3 will probably also come out in the summer. I expect that after the big screw up with the sept 30 date, Valve won't give a specific date until the game is a few days away from gold.

Like Torgo said, it's better not to worry about it. I probably won't even buy it right away, becuase I'll be waiting for the reviews to come in just in the off chance that it sucks.

Neither Doom3 or HL2 could ever possibly live up to the hype surrounding them, no matter how good (or bad) they are. I'll pick up both when they come out. Until then , I am not going to sweat it.

personaly, i think the only game that will live up to it's hype and surpass it will be HL2, from the movies ive seen (and hands on experience) ahem.... in comparason to doom 3, doom 3 just seems lame, i played doom 1 and 2 yrs ago, but this seems like the same old game with no real story line and fast paced repetitive action from it's predecesors, beefed up grafic wise offcourse, but half life, that seems to have a well thought out and semi deep story line will will surely keep you playing over and over, in other words DOOM3 = pretty grafix HL2 = awesome grafix and great story line.

in my opinion it doesnt matter how long hl2 takes to come out as long as it comes out, because it will out sell DOOM 3 by far.

thats just my personal opinion.

no flaming please, Dont make me writte a disclaimer. :D

XxMe_LoCoxX said:
personaly, i think the only game that will live up to it's hype and surpass it will be HL2, from the movies ive seen (and hands on experience) ahem.... in comparason to doom 3, doom 3 just seems lame, i played doom 1 and 2 yrs ago, but this seems like the same old game with no real story line and fast paced repetitive action from it's predecesors, beefed up grafic wise offcourse, but half life, that seems to have a well thought out and semi deep story line will will surely keep you playing over and over, in other words DOOM3 = pretty grafix HL2 = awesome grafix and great story line.

in my opinion it doesnt matter how long hl2 takes to come out as long as it comes out, because it will out sell DOOM 3 by far.

Half Life did/does have one hell of story behind it. It's like your character is in a movie on your PC screen. I'm 100% confident that HL2 will live up to it's story line. Graphics should be good as well. Hopefully it's not short though!

XxMe_LoCoxX said:

I do however have to disagree with you on one thing; I think that Doom's graphics will be better then HL2's graphics. I have a feeling that HL2 might run better but again who knows.

[BB] Rick James said:
...but again who knows.
Which is why it's foolish to speculate on what's going to be better. It's fine to discuss the various engine elements that will render different effects. So many people forget that 90 percent of the graphics depend on a large stable of artists to create the textures and models you see. You can have the best engine on earth, but have a crappy game if the artists are hired from some hotel lobby art show.

Torgo said:
Which is why it's foolish to speculate on what's going to be better. It's fine to discuss the various engine elements that will render different effects. So many people forget that 90 percent of the graphics depend on a large stable of artists to create the textures and models you see.

If 90 percent of the graphics depend on the large stable of artists to create the textures then wouldn't speculating and discussing the various engine elements be useless as well?

EvilTwig said:
Neither Doom3 or HL2 could ever possibly live up to the hype surrounding them, no matter how good (or bad) they are. I'll pick up both when they come out. Until then , I am not going to sweat it.

I beg to differ. We're not talking about amatuers here. iD and Valve have professional teams, headed by legends, who have huge legacies to uphold. Both have delivered in the past, and they will deliver again. Just look at what the DooM and Half-Life series have left behind. Have Carmack or Newell ever developed and released complete disappointments? Have faith, my friend. I highly doubt all of the kick-ass movies, screenshots and presentations presented to the public are meant to deceive us. I'm sure both games will be well worth the wait.

HitMan-sC said:
I beg to differ. We're not talking about amatuers here. iD and Valve have professional teams, headed by legends, who have huge legacies to uphold. Both have delivered in the past, and they will deliver again. Just look at what the DooM and Half-Life series have left behind. Have Carmack or Newell ever developed and released complete disappointments? Have faith, my friend. I highly doubt all of the kick-ass movies, screenshots and presentations presented to the public are meant to deceive us. I'm sure both games will be well worth the wait.

Agreed. Newell's ability to meet deadlines is still very amateur though. LOL

[BB] Rick James said:
Agreed. Newell's ability to meet deadlines is still very amateur though. LOL

True, but the longer they spend on the game, the more polished it will be at release.

HitMan-sC said:
True, but the longer they spend on the game, the more polished it will be at release.

That is true; well at least we hope it is right! They have been working on this game for a long time now. They really have no excuses as to why it won't run smooth as butter.

HitMan-sC said:
I beg to differ.
I don't think he's saying that the games are going to be bad, just that it won't live up to the totally unrealistic expectations that gamers have for the games. They way I've seen some people talk, it's like they expect aliens popping out of their screen, ramming green tentacles down their throat laying eggs to later burst out of their chest; all the while the gamer gurgleing "Mmmmffff... yes, more... more! Ack!"

Are the graphics going to be top notch? Yes. Is the gameplay going to be good? More than likely. Is it really going to met every single expectation from a gaming public that's more hyped up than a ten year-old girl at a Justin Timberlake concert? I don't think so.

[BB] Rick James said:
If 90 percent of the graphics depend on the large stable of artists to create the textures then wouldn't speculating and discussing the various engine elements be useless as well?
Not necessarily. Games are funny in the way that people hero worship programmers, when in reality they just take direction from producers and designers. Artists get largely ignored.

These graphic engines are just tools for making fantastic creations. It's like seeing the Sistine Chapel frescos, walking up to Michelangeo and saying "Dude, did you use the new Fresca 1600 brush? Whoa, that's like got, three thousand bristles, giving you 20% more paint per stroke!"

We quickly forget the art details that go into making a game. People look at the lighting in Doom and the water in HL2 and oooh and ahhh over them. Take a closer look. Someone had to make those brick textures, the patches on the uniforms, the facial expressions and skin textures. The engine provides the tools and power and allows the artist to really take control of his medium. The artist still retains the vision and direction. He's the one that creates, models and puts a skin on all those demons and aliens. Having talented artists is just as important as having talented programmers.

When it is done pretty much is the official word. All I can say is this game is overhyped since they showed it a year ago. I think Doom 3 will be coming out before HL2, I see at least Doom coming out this year.

Oh yeah, HL2 was not playable at E3, in fact, they showed videos of the same levels they did last year. You make out what that exactly says about its release date.

HitMan-sC said:
Or, the more out-of-date and underwhelming it will be (i.e. Diakatana). Admittedly, it is unlikely Valve will ship a suck-ass game, but given the hype and delay, it could well be a huge disappointment. Personally, I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bins. I'm more into Splinter Cell/Thief style play than run 'n gun, hyper-active frag boy gaming.

And Torgo, if your name was Steve, you would be in my heroes list (see .sig) forever. Great responses here (especially your recommendation to ignore uber-hyped games until they are actually out).

RagManX

RagManX said:
And Torgo, if your name was Steve, you would be in my heroes list (see .sig) forever. Great responses here (especially your recommendation to ignore uber-hyped games until they are actually out).
Stop it, you're making my tear ducts leak. I'm not just saying it as a fan, but as a former developer. If I had a nickel for every person that asked, "Dude, when is Age of Kings coming out?" I'd spend 'em in the nickel slots in Vegas. I would wager that Newell and Carmack get more emails asking them when the game is coming out than spam.

I know I've posted this before, but here's a guide for when AAA games come out. To be bought in time for Christmas, they'll hit shelves from September to October. If not, they'll wait until Spring and squeeze in early March. Why only then? Folks, it's all about getting 4Q and 1Q profits up. That helps the stock price. There are some exceptions, but that's the general rule. If a game gets delayed, it'll usually be for a year, sometimes just until the next open release window.

My Magic 8 Ball says that Doom 3 will be out Labor Day Weekend, HL2 will be late October and Duke Nukem Forever will be March. Activision and Universal get their 4Q boost and 3DRealms will have Spring to themselves.

Torgo said:
I don't think he's saying that the games are going to be bad, just that it won't live up to the totally unrealistic expectations that gamers have for the games. They way I've seen some people talk, it's like they expect aliens popping out of their screen, ramming green tentacles down their throat laying eggs to later burst out of their chest; all the while the gamer gurgleing "Mmmmffff... yes, more... more! Ack!"

Are the graphics going to be top notch? Yes. Is the gameplay going to be good? More than likely. Is it really going to met every single expectation from a gaming public that's more hyped up than a ten year-old girl at a Justin Timberlake concert? I don't think so.

Point taken. I'm trying not to get too excited myself, but with a legacy as big as Half-Life's (as well as DooM), you can't help but to have high expectations.

HitMan-sC said:
Point taken. I'm trying not to get too excited myself, but with a legacy as big as Half-Life's (as well as DooM), you can't help but to have high expectations.
And you should, but add "realistic" in there somewhere. We should all demand high quality games, but this useless banter over which game is going to be better is pointless. They'll both sell well and everyone I know is getting both anyway. One game will come out first and they'll play the hell out of that. Then a few months later the other one will come out and they'll play it to death. Everyone wins.

Back