Really slow water loss?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
Custom loop, the water in my res has dropped about 1mm since all of the visible bubbles disappeared, has been running since Dec/January. Is it normal to have slow rate of water loss? I guess it could be bubbles trapped somewhere in the loop as well. No leak anywhere that I can see, also did a leak test.

Custom loop, the water in my res has dropped about 1mm since all of the visible bubbles disappeared, has been running since Dec/January. Is it normal to have slow rate of water loss? I guess it could be bubbles trapped somewhere in the loop as well. No leak anywhere that I can see, also did a leak test.
It’s probably just the bubbles settling but overtime yes it is more common to see water loss on custom loops. Closed loops also lose some liquid believe it or not but not very fast compared to a custom loop.

Totally normal. There will be some small liquid loss over time combined with bubbles slowly getting to the res. 1mm in a few months is totally normal, top it off.

Same here: Normal with clear tubing. I loved using Tygon for years. But the water must diffuse through it and slowly evaporate into the air. Every build would need a top up every few months depending on the size of the reservoir. Come to think of it, the builds with more tubing needed more frequent top ups.

Used EK ZMT on a recent build. Reservoir is still showing some loss, but not nearly as much as the Tygon. Never used hardline myself, not sure if it is better or worse.

Guessing that the thickness of the clear tubing plays a part as well. The thicker the tubing, the longer it would take the coolant to get through it.

I had an EVGA Hadron case (yes, that's what it was called. re-read the name carefully if you're still confused) with their water loop. Used the garbage tubing they supplied with the kit. Had to top off the res once or twice a year, had it like that for a few years before selling. Permeation is the word, I think. CLC's also lose liquid this way, planned obsolescence, I guess.

I had an EVGA Hadron case (yes, that's what it was called. re-read the name carefully if you're still confused) with their water loop. Used the garbage tubing they supplied with the kit. Had to top off the res once or twice a year, had it like that for a few years before selling. Permeation is the word, I think. CLC's also lose liquid this way, planned obsolescence, I guess.

My wife's computer has been running a Corsair H100i CLC for the past 5+ years. Hasn't given us any trouble whatsoever besides the fact that it isn't a really great cooler as far as overclocking goes.

My wife's computer has been running a Corsair H100i CLC for the past 5+ years. Hasn't given us any trouble whatsoever besides the fact that it isn't a really great cooler as far as overclocking goes.
I have a Corsair H70 that's pushing on 8 years. It still "works", but I can definitely hear fluid sloshing in the rad and performance is kinda crap. The performance degradation is very, very slow and you don't really notice it until one day you look at it and realize the unit is not performing as it should be. I bet if you compared your H100i against a brand new unit there would be a difference.

If you have a top mounted rad your probably just seeing the very hard to bleed air slowly making its way out of the rad.
Some rads are harder/slower to bleed than others. If you arent seeing any visible signs of moisture your probably gtg. If it continues to drop i would start placing tissue around your fittings again for a few weeks just to be certain you dont have a slow leak somewhere. Keep an eye out for white spots on your fittings as well.

your probably just seeing the very hard to bleed air slowly making its way out of the rad
I think that this is usually the reason for liquid "loss" in a custom loop. Even if you take all the precautions(I dont) of tipping back and forth, bleeding for 8 hours, it can take months for every single bit of air to get out of that rad.

I think that this is usually the reason for liquid "loss" in a custom loop. Even if you take all the precautions(I dont) of tipping back and forth, bleeding for 8 hours, it can take months for every single bit of air to get out of that rad.
If you have a top mounted rad your probably just seeing the very hard to bleed air slowly making its way out of the rad.
Some rads are harder/slower to bleed than others. If you arent seeing any visible signs of moisture your probably gtg. If it continues to drop i would start placing tissue around your fittings again for a few weeks just to be certain you dont have a slow leak somewhere. Keep an eye out for white spots on your fittings as well.

I do have both top and bottom-mounted rads. :)

Back