Really need an AV prgram? (Kaspersky Issues)

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
Do I really need an antivirus program? I've been running Vista with and without Antivirus (mainly AVG until version 8) I purchased Kaspersky Suite 2009. Now i'm having issues with IE7 freezing on me and not being able to print. The main reason I started using AV again was because a website I wanted to access for work required AV to be installed. I don't really care to access that website anymore. So with 64 bit Vista, IE protected mode and built in firewall is there really any risk?

I could also use Firefox w/ noscript, heard good things about that but only tried it for a little while before it annoyed me.

This section is a bit of the red-headed step child on the forum, thus the zero responses so far. Take a look at the PC gaming forums for some discussion on AV's at the moment. Maybe take a look at Avira - I've just switched to it (it's free) and it seems pretty good.

Yes, there's still a risk. I used Kaspersky for a while, and it really screwed up my internet, so I switched to Avira, works wonderfully. Avast is a great free solution as well, however AVG really shit the bed with version 8, especially on 64 bit systems.

The main reason I started using AV again was because a website I wanted to access for work required AV to be installed.

Wait, what sort of website?

Wait, what sort of website?

Just a payroll type website. Actually same website my old company used but that did not require AV. Can viruses even be uploaded to them? Seems kinda odd requirement. I'll look into Avira or no maybe no AV.

I've been using Avast on my Vista 64 rig and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had always used NOD32, but I stuck Avast on until I could buy another copy of NOD, but found I really don't need to spend the money. It catches everything that the web throws at it and updates itself at least daily and sometimes twice. Really happy with it and worth every penny I paid for it. :D

Yes, there's still a risk. I used Kaspersky for a while, and it really screwed up my internet, so I switched to Avira, works wonderfully. Avast is a great free solution as well, however AVG really shit the bed with version 8, especially on 64 bit systems.

I agree with every word of this. Avira has great detection, and Avast as of recently has really impressed me. AVG is not something you would want to do to your machine. I am currently beta testing v 4.0 of ESET Smart Security/NOD32, and they are both looking good. Definately beta though.

Well, since I work in the industry some would call me biased. ;)

I have seen more malware out in the wild in the past year, then I have seen in previous years. 2007 saw more malware in the wild then all previous years combined, I will not be suprised to see 2008 continue the trend.

My network is solid, and I guarantee I have no malware on my home machine, but I run AV. I have had Zlob try to get me while browsing news sites, gaming sites, etc... (Big ones, but I cannot name names)

The internet is not a very safe place. The Space Station itself got infected! (TaterF variant, a game pws)
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Taterf

I posted on this subject awhile ago, when people were saying Microsoft shouldn't enter the AV business, due to the logic Microsoft should firm up the operating system. In the last year, the number one threat has been entirely social engineering. They will tell you it's the program to solve your ills, and instead it makes your machine sick. Numerous trusted file distribution sites have had their sites hacked, and malware put up instead.

Macintosh, the ones who's advertisements have said they're immune to malware have put out an advisory according to zdnet today. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2242
Apple even distributed a virus on some Ipods. http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/RJump

Defense is depth is always the right answer to protecting any asset. AV software is part of that defense in depth strategy to protect ones network.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back