Really hot idle temps on 5820K w/ rock X99 Extreme 4/3.1

CPU is a 5820K, and I actually have 2 to test with and it seems to happen with both.

I'm running stock bios settings, only change is bumping the cpu fan to full speed, and turning raid on.

I'm getting a 40c+ idle temp even when the voltage drops to 0.725.

I've got a corsair H100i GTX and I've been through remounting it a couple times. I had it working correctly at one point yesterday, but then in an attempt to over clock it I must have tripped some setting in bios that isn't properly resetting.

I was testing last night with beta bios 3.3, but when I couldn't solve the temp issue I rolled back to 3.2.

edit: I was trying to say Asrock in the titles and fat fingered the shift key and hit enter. doh :( can't edit the title.

As I recall, 38 to 40ish is about where my idle temp was with an H100i on my 5820K, although I just used Corsairlink to control the fans however it saw fit.

What sort of temperatures are you seeing if you run something like prime95 for 20 minutes?

You might try a different type of thermal compound. There's a zillion of them now, but I'm actually finding that a good quality white goop seems to work the best.

What's the ambient temperature of the room? and if you get the chance to check, what is the immediate temperature reading in the BIOS on a cold boot when the PC has been off for several hours?

As I recall, 38 to 40ish is about where my idle temp was with an H100i on my 5820K, although I just used Corsairlink to control the fans however it saw fit.

What sort of temperatures are you seeing if you run something like prime95 for 20 minutes?

You might try a different type of thermal compound. There's a zillion of them now, but I'm actually finding that a good quality white goop seems to work the best.

OCCT would drive load temps up into the high 70, low 80s. This is dead stock though. 40c/85c would be fine if I had it really overclocked.

I've got both noctu NT-H1 and artic MX-4 at my disposal for compounds, they seem to perform similarly.

What's the ambient temperature of the room? and if you get the chance to check, what is the immediate temperature reading in the BIOS on a cold boot when the PC has been off for several hours?

room temp is 20-25c depending on time of day, weather, ect..

This morning temp was 19c when I was seeing 40c idles.

Back