Really Happy with Vista 64bit

t00thless

Limp Gawd
Just finished my new build last Friday running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and as the title says, I am uber pleased so far.

No problems running any games. Some quirky things that I worked through/am trying to work through:

BF2 wouldn't connect to a server until I figured out I had to right click the shortcut and run as administrator (since created a shortcut to do that and all is good)

I like to press F10 inside CS:S or DOD:S when I am ready to quit. Once I get back to the desktop Vista thinks hl2.exe quit working and pops up a box. I will either figure this out or quit using F10.

Crysis, CoH, Steam Games, BF2... all good. I hope to have more time this weekend for some others.

No software problems, problems updating, etc. No hardware problems. **knock on wood**

Specs
antec sonata iii case w/ antec 500w psu
e8400
ac freezer 7 pro
gigabyte micro atx board (50$, went cheap on the board because I don't need RAID or much in expansion)
4gb pc 800 - corsair xms
4850 - visiontek
640gb - seagate

total cost 650$, 600$ if I get my rebates

Of course you like it. Vista x64 FTMFW.

And about the quirks, yeah. I noticed that also. There are a lot of quirks about Vista, but eventually you'll learn to work around them.

I have Vista x64 and I get that same hl2.exe quit working problem. If you figure out the solution please post it.

I have Vista x64 and I get that same hl2.exe quit working problem. If you figure out the solution please post it.

Try running hl2.exe in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode to see if that helps at all. I did the same having some problems with Flash CS3 and Vista thinking that the program was frozen and "not responding" when in fact it was performing a calculation. :rolleyes: Running in XP SP2 compatibility mode cleared the problem right up. :)

I have that too, among other hl2.exe crashes in Team Fortress 2. What can I say? TF2 is quite a buggy game (in my experience, on multiple clean reformats).

I really like Vista x64 myself...

It's damn good so far... for gaming, and everything else!

edit: Regarding Vista in general, I especially like the built-in sidebar where you can put those "gadget" things... it's freaking sweet. I have it show the status of my 4 cores, ram, network traffic, the weather, and I even have a gadget for SABnzbd! (the best freakin newsgroup binary downloader in the fucking universe, if you ask me)

And the great thing is.... you can run all this pretty stuff, like gadgets, and not worry a bit about RAM at all! Because you can use as much RAM as you want with x64, and still game/photoshop/etc at the same time! (I have 8GB :D )

Always buy as much RAM and HDD space as you can afford- that's the rule of thumb that has served me well, fo sheezy.

I can definitely agree. 8GB rocks on Vista x64 & gaming is a true joy.

I guess I eigth it? LoL! Vista x64 is really a great OS, I can run this OS for weeks not days with Opera, Firefox and IE all running with about 10 tabs open a piece, run a coupe VMs and still game with no lag or delays at all. :D XP would crap out after about 3 or 4 days! :mad:

8gb is the way to go though since Vista can actually use it effectively, just when I think I am using a certain percentage and open up an app, I will see the percentage drop a little just because Vista released that RAM it was holding for something else. Smart OS.

I don't think its a 64bit problem, i get the same message half the time on vista 32-bit.

I finally purchased a copy a couple weeks ago and love it. The OS makes me feel like I have a new PC compared to XP. I have ran into a couple issues though. My Cisco VPN client is not compatible with 64 bit operating systems so I had to resort to checking work email through webmail. Secondly I have a subscription to CA anti virus that no longer works. Other than that I am completely happy with it.

I made the jump from XP 32-bit to Vista x64 several months ago and never looked back. I love Vista! :)

been mcluvn my install of Vista x64 too , as well , also ...

I get the same hl2.exe quit working too

[F]old|[H]ard

I do not care much about Vista but using a 64 bit OS with almost unlimited RAM is a good step up.

The HL2.exe error is fixed by right clicking your Steam shortcut, and in the properties you set it to "Always run as administrator"

I bought a new computer a few months ago and upgraded it to Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I love it, Everything runs smoothly on it, no real issues that I can complain about.

Hmmm. Running 32 bit vista and it seems fine, wondering if I should jump on the 64 bit bandwagon. I can get the 64 bit install from MS right?

Hmmm. Running 32 bit vista and it seems fine, wondering if I should jump on the 64 bit bandwagon. I can get the 64 bit install from MS right?

depends on which version you have. Supposedly only the retail copy is eligible for the $10 version from MS. But if you have access to the proper disk allready your key should work.

I use vista x64 with a [email protected] and 8GB of ram with 2x640WD drives (RAID 0) and it flat out rocks. I have a pretty good laptop at work (C2D 2.2, 120GB 7200RPM hd, 2GB ram) and I just do development stuff (outlook, slickedit and terminal windows) that doesn't hog a lot of ram and with xp it just seems clunky. My wife's dual-core athlon with 5400 rpm 120GB hard drive with 2GB ram seems faster than my work one...I think vista is the reason why.

Finished my new build a couple of weeks ago and I love my Vista Ultimate x64. My only question is, since it seems everything needs to be "run as administrator" would right-clicking the install .exe and selecting that as "run as administrator" fix the problem?

I've been using Vista Ultimate x64 for well over a year now, and I can't say I've come across one application that I needed to "run as admin". What are some of the apps you are seeing this with?

I've been using Vista Ultimate x64 for well over a year now, and I can't say I've come across one application that I needed to "run as admin". What are some of the apps you are seeing this with?

well, running CPU-Z asks for admin rights, as does various windows based overclocking programs (like riva tuner for one...)

its true though, that 99% of all programs never need admin access, and i'm sure your average user would never see a UAC popup other than for installing things....

quick, honest question: is your "Jupiter" computer a file server? i'm trying to figure out why such a powerful computer would be running windows home server... honest question :)

well, running CPU-Z asks for admin rights,
That's odd, because I don't get any kind of prompts or issues running CPU-z or GPU-z for that matter.
quick, honest question: is your "Jupiter" computer a file server? i'm trying to figure out why such a powerful computer would be running windows home server... honest question :)
I basically made the server out of leftover parts from other upgrades. Most of it was my wife's computer until I upgraded her to a Core 2 Duo. We went back and forth over with OS to install, and I figured I'd give WHS a shot for now. However, now that she is working in IT as well, we decided on running Server 2008 at home in a domain setting, so once my third drive shows up for a RAID5 array, I'll be selling off my copy of WHS and going with Windows Server 2008 x64. It is definitely much more than is needed for a typical headless server "appliance", like WHS box.

Vista has been great since SP1, I think it's extremely stable and the only problems that pop up are issues with applications created for Windows XP/2000. The same kind of stuff happens in every new release of windows IMO. With XP it was less noticeable because of the fact that 2000 was out for some time before XP, and most applications were built with that in mind. Once the strikingly similar XP came out there were fewer issues.

Just my 2c.

That's odd, because I don't get any kind of prompts or issues running CPU-z or GPU-z for that matter.

I basically made the server out of leftover parts from other upgrades. Most of it was my wife's computer until I upgraded her to a Core 2 Duo. We went back and forth over with OS to install, and I figured I'd give WHS a shot for now. However, now that she is working in IT as well, we decided on running Server 2008 at home in a domain setting, so once my third drive shows up for a RAID5 array, I'll be selling off my copy of WHS and going with Windows Server 2008 x64. It is definitely much more than is needed for a typical headless server "appliance", like WHS box.

I've actually used CPU-Z on my sister's laptop, which came with Vista 32, and that too has a UAC prompt when running..... dont ask me why.... i dont really see why it would need that...

now that i'm looking at it, the icon for the program has the little UAC shield on it......

another honest question.... why not just turn the Jupiter into a media center box? that thing would be perfect for that if u could get it quiet enough.... and it would have enough horsepower for HD content while still being able to act as a file server.....

why not just turn the Jupiter into a media center box?
Because your usages are different than mine. I have absolutely no need for a media center box. I don't stream media to anything anyway, as it all resides on my computer at the moment, backed up to the server. Should I decide to stream anything to my living room, both our computers are running VIsta Ultimate x64, which can stream to our Xbox 360. I have a DVR box from my cable company, and a DVD Recorder in my living room already. As I mentioned before, with my wife now in IT as well, that box is best server as a true domain server. I have a TechNet account as well, so I have a few server products that I'd like to run on the box as well, for my own learning as well a my wife's. It may not be as fun, but I'm also trying to provide the tools my wife needs to build her knowledge base as well. She's eventually planning on stepping up to a bigger, better IT job, so I'm trying to give her a good building block.

I've actually used CPU-Z on my sister's laptop, which came with Vista 32, and that too has a UAC prompt when running..... dont ask me why.... i dont really see why it would need that...

now that i'm looking at it, the icon for the program has the little UAC shield on it......

I mentioned it in another thread, but a chap on a different forum checked the source code for CPU-Z and found that it contains some sloppy code, which references an executable by the wrong name. When he corrected the uppercase/lowercase mismatch the UAC prompts disappeared.

Buggered if I understand why, but I understand this:

If a program generates UAC prompts in Vista it's because the program is poorly written. Doesn't adhere, in other words, to 'best practice' principles which have been around since the early days of Windows XP. End result is that poorly written software falls over under Vista. Xp had to maintain backwards compatibilty with some really cruddy Win98 software, so a fair amount of 'best practice' principles were left optional, and now they are mandated. In such instances it's not really 'Vista breaking stuff'. The stuff was broken to begin with, and XP was never stringent enough in enforcing standards to check a dummy spit about it.

I mentioned it in another thread, but a chap on a different forum checked the source code for CPU-Z and found that it contains some sloppy code, which references an executable by the wrong name. When he corrected the uppercase/lowercase mismatch the UAC prompts disappeared.

Buggered if I understand why, but I understand this:

If a program generates UAC prompts in Vista it's because the program is poorly written. Doesn't adhere, in other words, to 'best practice' principles which have been around since the early days of Windows XP. End result is that poorly written software falls over under Vista. Xp had to maintain backwards compatibilty with some really cruddy Win98 software, so a fair amount of 'best practice' principles were left optional, and now they are mandated. In such instances it's not really 'Vista breaking stuff'. The stuff was broken to begin with, and XP was never stringent enough in enforcing standards to check a dummy spit about it.

Whoa, interesting.

To get rid of that UAC stuff I just started to use Everest instead. But then I just got rid of UAC altogether.

Back