Really bizarre perfect storm combo of Windows 8.1, IE11 and TW Telcom DNS server

Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
608
I'm wondering if anyone out there who uses TW Telcom as their ISP and utilize their primary DNS server of 216.136.95.2 is having problems with Windows 8.1 Pro workstations that utilize IE11. I have confirmed this is a problem on two separate networks. At first I thought it was just our office network but I just got home and inputted the TW Telcom DNS server as my primary DNS server and sure enough the problem happens. Again you would have to have Windows 8.1, IE11 and be utilizing this DNS server in particular. The weird thing is that FireFox and Chrome will load the websites with no problems. I am hoping someone can either confirm or help me figure out what the hell is going on. If you have Windows 8.1 64-bit with IE11 installed, try using the IP above as your primary DNS server and then visit either godaddy.com, usaa.com or us-new.ingrammicro.com and tell me if the page loads for you.

The strangest thing is that I can load up a VM of Windows 7 with IE11 and using the same DNS server it loads fine. Perfect. But I've confirmed this Windows 8.1 thing on two separate networks so far. One using TW Telcom as an ISP and another using Time Warner Cable.
 
Last edited:

mi7chy

2[H]4U
Joined
May 22, 2013
Messages
3,985
Two issues:

1) 216.136.95.2 sometimes fails DNS query. I'd consider using OpenDNS 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220 as primary, Google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as secondary and 216.136.95.2 as 3rd.

2) Use Chrome since Internet Explorer 11 is dumb/broken. If you must use IE11 and want those sites to work then go into Internet Options > Advanced and check 'Use SSL 2.0' but know it's insecure and deprecated.
 
Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
608
It's fixed as of this AM. I feel you I know most don't like IE but I still love it no matter what. It's my first love.
 
Top