reality of 4GB in A8N-SLI Premium

PurduEE

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently running an FX-60 in an Asus A8N-SLI Premium. I would like to load this machine up with 4G for Vista 64-bit. I tried this once with this board, a 4800+, and 2 sets of PQI3200-2048DP (4 sticks), but the best I could get the board to do was 333Mhz, 2T. I could not get it to run at a 400Mhz clock no matter what I tried.

My suspicion is that the board simply isn't capable of running 4 sticks at 400Mhz 2T, but I'm thinking about picking up 4 1G kingston sticks and attempting this again.

Any suggestions?

You're stuck with 2t with 4 slots full. But you should be able to hit 400mhz if you have the latest bios.

Make sure to install the hotfix for Vista x64 when using greater than 3gb of ram.

You're stuck with 2t with 4 slots full. But you should be able to hit 400mhz if you have the latest bios.

Yeah, I get that I 'should', but the reality is that I've not been able to do so with the memory I have. I'm wondering if it is likely to be a memory issue or a motherboard/CPU issue. I'm mostly just wanting to see if anyone is running a similar setup at 4G and what they're using.

Regardless, I'll likely not put any more cash into this system for more memory and just wait for 4G on a quad-core at some point. I haven't heard much positive about 4G setups and Vista anyway (creative driver problems, etc.)...

Thanks.

Did you see my setup/sig? It is basically the same as yours. I'm using the deluxe and you got the premium board. I'm also using Audigy 2 zs.

ah..

Probably should have looked at your sig. I actually had some kingston 512s (bh5 memory) and tried that for a total of 3G - works fine. I bought 4G of low latency kingston 1G DIMMS today, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

Hey I was creeping some posts and came across yours and considering i almost have a clone computer, I figured I'd let you know what I went through.
The problem your experiencing is a known problem for our boards, all you need to do to fix it is flash to the newest bios (if you can ever get on to the Asus website) Now... they said that the update will fix it so that it'll automatically detect 400mhz.. anyway that never worked for me anyway, but once i manually changed the speed, all was good.

Anyway, another things I noticed is that Vista really doesn't care about how much ram you have, what vista really really likes is fast ram (I ran a bunch of tested starting out with 1 GB underclocked to pc2100 all the way up to 4gb at pc3200 and I found out that the only time there was a noticeable difference in performance was not when I added another stick of ram, but when i cranked the speed of the ram up.

One more thing I noticed is that Vista even after a fresh reboot Vista reports using 1.3 GB's of memory, WOW!!! no wonder why game requirements double when running under Vista.

Anyway My recommendation... don't waste your money on new ram... you won't notice the difference unless you go under 1GB. Socket 939 is dead and so is DDR, save your money for a board/cpu/ram.

Oh ya, one more thing to mention... I never ran into any problems with Vista running 4G, no creative issues whatsoever.

Hope you found this helpful

AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
4 GB PC3200 Corsair (running at 400mhz)
BFG Geforce 7600GS
Creative Labs Audigy (the original)
Vista x64 Ultimate

Back