"Realistic" date to be able to buy IB (and other ?'s)

lobstar

Limp Gawd
So, I'm REALLY itching to pull the trigger on a new build. As you can see in my sig, its about time. We all know April 29 is the target release date for the IB/Z77 combo. My question is this: Will it be realistic or even possible to obtain one near release day? I've got my case, PSU, fans, SSD all sitting ready. I should have a 680 sometime between now and then. Has Intel been good about retail channels in the past or will we see the dreaded paper release and no one actually has any in stock? Same thing with the Z77 boards ... I heard those are supposed to be available rather early. Does that mean we'll get to see some of the high end boards soon after release of the proc?

Sorry for the topic yet again! I know a lot of you guys follow this stuff much closer than myself and maybe you have a better idea based on whats happened in the past. Answering these questions will help me plan my build a little better.

Thanks guys and gals!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA...7?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item4cffba30f7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BIOSTAR...979910606?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3cc39d67ce
(Just as an example)
Z77 (and H77, linked above) is already available in some places, and Intel is pretty good at physical availability for mainstream parts. If you're looking at something like the 3770K, expect to be able to buy it within the first week or two of May, definitely. If you're going lower power, like the 3770S or 3770T, then you may have to wait till mid-Summer.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Remember Ivy has an acceptable IGP, so you could (if gaming isnt a high priority) hold off on the video card(s) for a month or two after building the system. Possibly video card prices will come down a bit after the release of Kepler and Ivy. This would be an even more significant savings if you plan to run SLI or xfire.

Remember Ivy has an acceptable IGP, so you could (if gaming isnt a high priority) hold off on the video card(s) for a month or two after building the system. Possibly video card prices will come down a bit after the release of Kepler and Ivy. This would be an even more significant savings if you plan to run SLI or xfire.

I'd venture to guess since the OP is about to pull the trigger on a 680, IBs IGP isn't at all relevant.

I work at a large chain of electronics stores and our system shows an in-stock date of April 2 for the Ivy Bridge processors.

I'd venture to guess since the OP is about to pull the trigger on a 680, IBs IGP isn't at all relevant.
Well, according to one rumor, http://www.overclock.net/t/1235067/videocardz-geforce-600-roadmap-partially-exposed-gtx-670-ti-coming-in-may-685-gk-110-in-october-december, the 4 GB version of the Kepler is coming out in April. So if the OP holds off on the purchase of the video cards until later on in April, he will have a card which may not suffer from a bottleneck which the current kepler suffers from. I am just saying that the IGP could be useful as a stop-gap measure to set up his system (assuming it has non-gaming uses) until other options are available.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm thinking if there really is a chance of a 4GB card, I'll just hold off. I think it will be worth it in the long run once I'm able to upgrade the monitor situation.

On the processor side, I'm going to guess Intel will have plenty of the consumer side chips available due to this delay. What a fun 30 days we have to look forward to!

I believe with the SB launch, Intel didn't really have any issues with day 1 availability right? And it was a massive performance increase so demand was high.

I'm talking about the 2500k/2600k type parts here.

I believe with the SB launch, Intel didn't really have any issues with day 1 availability right? And it was a massive performance increase so demand was high.

I'm talking about the 2500k/2600k type parts here.

Yeah, they were surprisingly well stocked. I was worried about getting one, but I don't remember them ever actually going out of stock.

Back