Real-Time Ray Tracing Is Enabled in Battlefield V

nVidia is telling people that only RTX "low" is optimized right now. They are working on fixing the higher settings. They are recommending using RTX "low" at this time.

From nVidia:

WTH, Nvidia, you ship a product thats got your marketing all over the box and the hardware itself, and tell people that its Optimized on low settings, "were working on fixing it".

You just made everyone pay $1200 dollars for a BETA. The laughs are immeasurable.

Last edited:
lol if you are stilling there looking at that in this game you are costing your team the match.
Or, you are watching an area and see the shadow of somebody about to come out from a corner and can prepare for that, whereas you might otherwise have to rely entirely on audio cues or act when he first appears, which may be too late.

Last edited:
You want to talk about misguided, how about your ignorant Assumption of jealousy? Maybe pay attention to the comments for many people here as they have high end systems and can easily afford a 2080 Ti. Now if you remove your head from your rear end then you will see what most people are talking about here. The issue is that people that can afford a 2080 TI sure as hell do not want to game at 1080p just to turn on a ray tracing effect. Most of those people have 4K or 1440p screens so running well below native resolution and degrading the whole image just to turn on one effect is idiotic and asinine. But hey maybe there are a few people silly enough to have a native 1080p screen that will buy a 2080 TI.

That said I do agree that we had to start somewhere with Ray tracing. If Nvidia didn't come out with cards that support it then developers sure as hell wouldn't work on it for future games. But like most people I sure as hell am not paying $1,200 to be an early adopter to play at 1080p and not even be able to maintain 60fps. I am thankful for those that are willing to make the sacrifice though...
This. But then he is a lil noobish.

Nice to see that the performance is better than what they showed off earlier this year- of course, I was blindly hoping DICE would have fixed DX12 in Frostbyte :/

still waiting for ray tracing on illumination cast by fire (and fire in membrane eg lanterns) .... not alot of people care for shiny floors

Ive never read so many complaints about a "shiny floor" in a video game. It's pretty funny. But haters always hate. Remember it's a video game.

Also seems to be a bit of jealousy floating around. Who cares if someone chose to pay 1200 for a video card? I wouldn't but would never rip someone who did... if you cant afford it let it go.

It looks pretty dang good for the first implementation on bleeding edge tech. Performance not quite there but seems there may be a number of reasons for that and not just the GPU.

Ive never read so many complaints about a "shiny floor" in a video game. It's pretty funny. But haters always hate. Remember it's a video game.

Also seems to be a bit of jealousy floating around. Who cares if someone chose to pay 1200 for a video card? I wouldn't but would never rip someone who did... if you cant afford it let it go.

It looks pretty dang good for the first implementation on bleeding edge tech. Performance not quite there but seems there may be a number of reasons for that and not just the GPU.
If you read the thread, you would already know we went through the dollar part. I think people can have an opinion even if they can't afford it.

I admit the 2080ti isn't my cup of tea, however, I think it signals a potential roadmap - or at least path - for development. I'm glad for the adopters, though I'm not one.

So, I started Battlefield V today, only to notice there are no RTX options. Apparently, while my laptop has the 1809 Windows update, my desktop is stuck @ 1803, and Windows update says I'm up to date.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait on seeing it then.

this looks pretty fk'n good for initial implementation too.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1749-battlefield-ray-tracing-benchmarks/

1.png

Attachments

• bf.png
    bf.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
At this point with how costly this is on performance for reflections. Why not just render reflections the old fashion way (render geometry twice,mirror it or whatever)? Surely it couldn't cost more than a ray traced version and it avoids having to clean it up with temporal filtering and won't have any of the artifacts.

Well, I just ran through a couple missions after getting the 1809 update. Yes, it plummets the frame rate. But there is absolutely zero chance this could be done traditionally. The graphics fidelity is just that much better. For single player, I might run the whole campaign with it on, just to see. But aiming is definitely a challenge with the frame rate going from the 30s-60s, when I'm use to 100+ fps.

We need some SLI results!

So I played for a while on 3440x1440 ultra / rtx low and I couldn’t tell the fps difference. I personally love 21:9. Always seems to be in a great spot for IQ/fps.

It is definitely RT core limited so I don’t think power limit is an issue.

Last edited:
At this point with how costly this is on performance for reflections. Why not just render reflections the old fashion way (render geometry twice,mirror it or whatever)? Surely it couldn't cost more than a ray traced version and it avoids having to clean it up with temporal filtering and won't have any of the artifacts.
This is called rasterizing and each instance HAS to be created and implemented by the developer.

What is the deal with DX12 running like crap. Is it just me or does BFV have funky lighting effects + soldiers look washed out and too bright in certain areas ?

in the beta the whole game looked like crap. seriously looked like a console game ported to PC even with maxed out graphics.

Well, I just ran through a couple missions after getting the 1809 update. Yes, it plummets the frame rate. But there is absolutely zero chance this could be done traditionally. The graphics fidelity is just that much better. For single player, I might run the whole campaign with it on, just to see. But aiming is definitely a challenge with the frame rate going from the 30s-60s, when I'm use to 100+ fps.

I wonder if it's a placebo effect because other reviews are saying it's not that big of a visual upgrade and not worth the performance hit period.

still waiting for ray tracing on illumination cast by fire (and fire in membrane eg lanterns) .... not alot of people care for shiny floors
I'm sure they did shiney floors because it was easier and less computationally heavy. no doubt a ton of environmental designers are eager to use RT for fire and other object illumination... that's where the bigger change will be felt

As far as the performance hit, well sure, every new graphics thing we do will cost frames why would this be any different. The overal image fidelity might not have increased much in your opinion, but just remember this may end up saving a ton of developer's time and hopefully enables more resources to get thrown into other things like animation and AI...

I think that's a huge part of why they are excited about it, a lot of devs are not lazy fucks like you might expect, they are almost always passionate gamers who care about similar things as we do and face-palm bad AI/animation... but they are up against publishers/investors/executives and can't always convince them of where to put their money. some things are a very hard sell. RT is easier to sell, and I imagine it wouldn't have come this far unless there was some return on that investment.

Hey if you're not lucky you can have real flames courtesy of your RTX 2000 series card. They don't just do ray tracing but do real FLAMES. ha ha ha ha ha

Reactions: Youn
like this
You want to talk about misguided, how about your ignorant Assumption of jealousy? Maybe pay attention to the comments for many people here as they have high end systems and can easily afford a 2080 Ti. Now if you remove your head from your rear end then you will see what most people are talking about here. The issue is that people that can afford a 2080 TI sure as hell do not want to game at 1080p just to turn on a ray tracing effect. Most of those people have 4K or 1440p screens so running well below native resolution and degrading the whole image just to turn on one effect is idiotic and asinine. But hey maybe there are a few people silly enough to have a native 1080p screen that will buy a 2080 TI.

That said I do agree that we had to start somewhere with Ray tracing. If Nvidia didn't come out with cards that support it then developers sure as hell wouldn't work on it for future games. But like most people I sure as hell am not paying $1,200 to be an early adopter to play at 1080p and not even be able to maintain 60fps. I am thankful for those that are willing to make the sacrifice though...

You are exactly the problem with these conversations, obviously you are young and can't avoid name calling and present a logical argument rather you lash out because I pointed emotional issues behind the discussion. Why the anger if you can afford one and choose not to buy one? Shouldn't you be happy for people who bought one to support the new rendering tech? I see through your words to the true tantrum which is being thrown behind them.

Reactions: DPI
like this
You are exactly the problem with these conversations, obviously you are young and can't avoid name calling and present a logical argument rather you lash out because I pointed emotional issues behind the discussion. Why the anger if you can afford one and choose not to buy one? Shouldn't you be happy for people who bought one to support the new rendering tech? I see through your words to the true tantrum which is being thrown behind them.
You mean he pointed out the ignorant assumption of jealousy? That would be correct.

Happy that they bought them? Hell yeah, glad it wasn't me. We are all just discussing which is what you do on a forum. There are quite a few people who could afford it but did not.

You mean he pointed out the ignorant assumption of jealousy? That would be correct.

Happy that they bought them? Hell yeah, glad it wasn't me. We are all just discussing which is what you do on a forum. There are quite a few people who could afford it but did not.

Exactly, I could buy one, but I have a hard time justifying $1200 for what you get. This has nothing to do with jealousy. I'm all for new rendering tech, etc., but I don't feel like being a stooge and shelling out $1200 to be a beta tester with lackluster results. If I wanted to run 1080p and have 95% of the same visuals, I could buy a 1070 and run it on Ultra. This isn't an emotional argument made by a child. If anything, the childish mentality is shelling out $1200 for shiny objects :p.

Exactly, I could buy one, but I have a hard time justifying $1200 for what you get. This has nothing to do with jealousy. I'm all for new rendering tech, etc., but I don't feel like being a stooge and shelling out $1200 to be a beta tester with lackluster results. If I wanted to run 1080p and have 95% of the same visuals, I could buy a 1070 and run it on Ultra. This isn't an emotional argument made by a child. If anything, the childish mentality is shelling out $1200 for shiny objects :p.
Same. No way I would even consider it. I have a 1080ti and my choice of 4K 60hz or 1080p 144hz monitors so not a big deal.

The BF V graphics look good but maybe too good? It's like a museum where everything is perfect. In a fast paced game, super awesome shadows and light are going to be mostly blurred?
I think they meant well, but they went from realistic war zone with no RTX to unrealistic RTX. Not a spec of dust or stuff out of place. Like it was all staged for RTX.

Same here.
I have a 1080ti and a buyer for it if the next step is worthwhile.
But it isnt on too many levels.
Jealousy isnt something I do.

Same. No way I would even consider it. I have a 1080ti and my choice of 4K 60hz or 1080p 144hz monitors so not a big deal.

The BF V graphics look good but maybe too good? It's like a museum where everything is perfect. In a fast paced game, super awesome shadows and light are going to be mostly blurred?
I think they meant well, but they went from realistic war zone with no RTX to unrealistic RTX. Not a spec of dust or stuff out of place. Like it was all staged for RTX.

2080ti is ~45% faster in newer games (like Battlefield / Tomb Raider ect.) than a 1080ti if you target around 60-70FPS. What BFV needs is RT + DLSS and IIRC DICE said they want to incorporate DLSS.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/31/asus_rog_strix_rtx_2080_ti_video_card_review/5

Anyone that expected anything more from RT and bought a card because of it is off their rocker. Fun to dabble? Sure but it’s new untried tech.

Shiny floors seems to be this moment's "pointy elbows". It's one game. "But RTX can't play at 144FPS so it's shit and LOL why is Nvidia making (MAKING!) people pay $1200". Can you imagine if this current era of bitter, entitled "enthusiasts" had been around when Crysis came along? Cranial meltdowns abound.

I'm pretty piqued by how good this actually is for first gen--has to start somewhere. I'm really more in curious awe than angry, but I'm also over the age of nine and so accept that RTX is one optional feature/toggle, not a luxury class GPU's only redeeming quality, nor this game's.

Last edited:
Looks like Ray Tracing will be the selling point for NVlink. I would love to see the FPS numbers

Maybe BFV isn't the game to showcase RTX. Put me in the unimpressed camp. Cut your performance by 2/3rd's for slightly better reflections. How about no thanks. Playing games with RTX at 4K/120+ FPS is like 4 GPU generations away.

Shiny floors seems to be this moment's "pointy elbows". It's one game. "But RTX can't play at 144FPS so it's shit and LOL why is Nvidia making (MAKING!) people pay $1200". Can you imagine if this current era of bitter, entitled "enthusiasts" had been around when Crysis came along? Cranial meltdowns abound.

I'm pretty piqued by how good this actually is for first gen--has to start somewhere. I'm really more in curious awe than angry, but I'm also over the age of nine and so accept that RTX is one optional feature/toggle, not a luxury class GPU's only redeeming quality, nor this game's.

I think you're missing the fact that Nvidia touts this as a feature and then raises the price 72% over the equivalent last generation card. So the average person would expect to see the value of new features if they were encouraged by Nvidia to pay 72% more money. If they charged $799 and said it's 30% faster than a 1080Ti, no harm, no foul. When a game like this comes out and shows that it barely handled 1080p or drops to lower quality to run 1440p, it stands to reason that some people are going to question the value of the $1200 video card. It's not really about being a "bitter, entitled enthusiast" vs. wanting to see a real value for my dollar.

2080ti is ~45% faster in newer games (like Battlefield / Tomb Raider ect.) than a 1080ti if you target around 60-70FPS. What BFV needs is RT + DLSS and IIRC DICE said they want to incorporate DLSS.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/31/asus_rog_strix_rtx_2080_ti_video_card_review/5

Anyone that expected anything more from RT and bought a card because of it is off their rocker. Fun to dabble? Sure but it’s new untried tech.

You've been promoting DLSS since Day 1 of the preorder, so I hope its awesome just for your sake :p.

I think you're missing the fact that Nvidia touts this as a feature and then raises the price 72% over the equivalent last generation card. So the average person would expect to see the value of new features if they were encouraged by Nvidia to pay 72% more money. If they charged $799 and said it's 30% faster than a 1080Ti, no harm, no foul. When a game like this comes out and shows that it barely handled 1080p or drops to lower quality to run 1440p, it stands to reason that some people are going to question the value of the $1200 video card. It's not really about being a "bitter, entitled enthusiast" vs. wanting to see a real value for my dollar.

All that is understandable, but all the deliberating over whether the card can be justified or can be rationalized over what you already own doesn't really matter, since enough other people are willing to pay current selling prices to the point that stock is perpetually out. It's a flagship, luxury class GPU of a new gen, loaded with a huge early adopter tax and a first gen, bleeding edge feature that everyone's hyperfocusing on.

I'm not compelled to buy a 2080Ti myself until prices fall, but I don't jump up and down or have to constantly and nervously tell myself "my 1080Ti is good enough!" just because a 2080Ti exists and RTX in these early days looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
You've been promoting DLSS since Day 1 of the preorder, so I hope its awesome just for your sake :p.

I could let it die if they would fucking let me use it lol. DLSS2x is way more intriguing than ray tracing.

I would have way prefered 40% more cuda cores but here we are...

Looks like Ray Tracing will be the selling point for NVlink. I would love to see the FPS numbers
Theres an assumption.
It might not work well in SLI.
Even if it hits framerate targets, what are the chances DX12 sucks worse, when it already has poor frametimes with this game using single card.

Back