Real-Life Zombie Shooter Takes Off

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like that real life-multiplayer-first person shooter-role-playing game called Patient 0 is actually going to happen. The company, I.R.L. Shooter, has raised enough money to make this thing a reality and the first event will take place in October.

Hey, it's zombie LARP!
larp.jpg

A senario game of paintball looks 10 times better, also people that larp creap me out.

So its Lazer Tag but the guns have recoil and make sounds, fighting zombie hordes, and solving puzzles my guess like find keys and what not. This could be a lot of fun with the right group of friends.

A senario game of paintball looks 10 times better, also people that larp creap me out.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well, paintball has been doing this for ages.

paintball is a boring mess. This seems like it would actually be fun to have a zombie scenario where it's you and like 3 other friends vs 400 zombies.

I've long dreamed of a FPS-RPG in a persistant world online mulitplayer game, which could be played solo as well, where your not so much trying to escape as you are just trying to survive. More like The Walking Dead as opposed to Left 4 Dead.

Or thing of it as left for dead where you don't have rescue waiting for you and instead you need to live in this new world and/or make it to safety, well safer areas, on your own or with your team.

It would be hard to balance, since there isn't much excitement in being baracaded in a building few a few days recovering from the trip to your new location, but once your set up and organized you would then need to scavange the area, raiding stores, homes and businesses looking for food, ammo, medical supplies and anything else you could use. Then once you've got it all together and your ready you need to move your team and your gear to another location without attracting a herd of zombies so large as to overpower you or keep you from ever being able to leave the new location you hold up in.

It will probably never be made, but if done right I think it could be awesome.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well, paintball has been doing this for ages.

I've long dreamed of a FPS-RPG in a persistant world online mulitplayer game, which could be played solo as well, where your not so much trying to escape as you are just trying to survive. More like The Walking Dead as opposed to Left 4 Dead.

Or thing of it as left for dead where you don't have rescue waiting for you and instead you need to live in this new world and/or make it to safety, well safer areas, on your own or with your team.

It would be hard to balance, since there isn't much excitement in being baracaded in a building few a few days recovering from the trip to your new location, but once your set up and organized you would then need to scavange the area, raiding stores, homes and businesses looking for food, ammo, medical supplies and anything else you could use. Then once you've got it all together and your ready you need to move your team and your gear to another location without attracting a herd of zombies so large as to overpower you or keep you from ever being able to leave the new location you hold up in.

It will probably never be made, but if done right I think it could be awesome.

I think you pretty much described DayZ mod for Arma 2.

EXACTLY what I was thinking and came here to post.

Great minds think alike or maybe we just share the same mental deficiency. :D

Anyway, it does look like fun and is a unique idea though not at all something I'd be bothered doing. Despite the LARP abuse, I hope its fun for the people that get involved.

I think you pretty much described DayZ mod for Arma 2.

Really? Never heard of it, might just need to pick up Arma 2 and try it out (although since Steam's 4th of July sale is just around the corner I'll hold off until then.)

Forgot to add.

*Except in DayZ the biggest fear is other survivors trying to kill you for your loot.

Actually that should be part of it as well, although to a lesser extent then full blown combat. I mean if that sort of world there would be many out there looking to take what you've got, but they would you have, but to limit it death would have to result in a major penalty, otherwise it just becomes a run and gun game

Death should be more like Eve Online where it can be very expensive as opposed to something like COD or BF games where dying basically only costs you the time it takes you to get back into the fight.

paintball is a boring mess. This seems like it would actually be fun to have a zombie scenario where it's you and like 3 other friends vs 400 zombies.

What? There are a ton of different types of paintball games.

Really? Never heard of it, might just need to pick up Arma 2 and try it out (although since Steam's 4th of July sale is just around the corner I'll hold off until then.)

Actually that should be part of it as well, although to a lesser extent then full blown combat. I mean if that sort of world there would be many out there looking to take what you've got, but they would you have, but to limit it death would have to result in a major penalty, otherwise it just becomes a run and gun game

Death should be more like Eve Online where it can be very expensive as opposed to something like COD or BF games where dying basically only costs you the time it takes you to get back into the fight.

Well in DayZ death = lose everything, all your gear is gone and you respawn with a single revolver, some water and food and a few rounds.

What? There are a ton of different types of paintball games.

Sometimes, the 48 hour scenarios are pretty fun, to me the annoying part is just the paintball gun itself. I always found paintball guns to be such a burden to carry and clunky to use which is why I stopped paying (also costs are way too high compared to airsoft).

If paintball is a boring mess, then you're doing it wrong.

Sometimes, the 48 hour scenarios are pretty fun, to me the annoying part is just the paintball gun itself. I always found paintball guns to be such a burden to carry and clunky to use which is why I stopped paying (also costs are way too high compared to airsoft).

It's an investment. You buy the right gear and do most of the work yourself, you end up only paying field fees after the initial investment. Then, there are team sponsorships :D

It's a laser tag...sorry, flashlight tag system.

Big whoop. I'd rather be playing Photon.

What are the odds, that one of the nut-ball gamers will flip out during the event, and in the heat of a zombie zerg, pull out a REAL gun and start blasting??!! :rolleyes:

The idea of the real life-multiplayer-first person shooter-role-playing game is OK, its just the fruit cake, crazy gamers whom will most likely attend the event, you have to worry about. :eek:

You're telling me they couldn't just buy airsoft rifles and put the laser equipment in them? It doesn't seem all that hard. If they were to gut the gun, it'd have lots of room for devices. Heck, some electric airsoft guns have moving bolts/recoil now.

Forgot to add.

*Except in DayZ the biggest fear is other survivors trying to kill you for your loot.

With a current average lifespan of 30min, I think I'll pass on this. Looks like the survival horror is pretty much just "survive the PVP". Doesn't seem too fun to have to create a new player every half hour because some douche picks you off right away all the time.

This could be a hit if it is set up properly. Build your own town on a big piece of land, it doesn't cost shit to make some small mock up buildings. If I had a shit load of cash I would make something like this happen but not laser tag lol

It's an investment. You buy the right gear and do most of the work yourself, you end up only paying field fees after the initial investment. Then, there are team sponsorships :D

I can't get sponsorships for a sport I play once every 2-3 months. I bought all my gear, it was around $750, I wore cheap outdoor camo and not the expensive paintball padding that most people wear so most of my money went towards gun and accessories. The fields around here charge $20-30 to get in and then you have to buy their paint which is usually $40 for a box of 2000 which supplies about 2 decent players in my opinion. I played for about 5 years before I quit.

At the end of the day your just a oil covered mess and all the fun is dead and it's back to cleaning and maintenance. Also the fields in South Florida suck, the ground is usually an oily mess causing you to be covered in a caked on mud, the bunkers are a bunch of shitty plastic tubes with ragged and sharp edges that tear your clothing and plywood walls. No one takes their time, it's a damn speed fest which no one takes seriously. Airsoft is just a whole other demographic of players who actually strategize and use teamwork, also it can be played more easily indoors without so many safety precautions and worry about slipping on wet floors.

With a current average lifespan of 30min, I think I'll pass on this. Looks like the survival horror is pretty much just "survive the PVP". Doesn't seem too fun to have to create a new player every half hour because some douche picks you off right away all the time.

The latest patches fucked it up, used to have a much higher average lifespan but since the mod has become so popular servers have filled up with griefers. It's still a fun game if played with a relatively small group of people, like 20-30 well knowns.

I can't get sponsorships for a sport I play once every 2-3 months. I bought all my gear, it was around $750, I wore cheap outdoor camo and not the expensive paintball padding that most people wear so most of my money went towards gun and accessories. The fields around here charge $20-30 to get in and then you have to buy their paint which is usually $40 for a box of 2000 which supplies about 2 decent players in my opinion. I played for about 5 years before I quit.

At the end of the day your just a oil covered mess and all the fun is dead and it's back to cleaning and maintenance. Also the fields in South Florida suck, the ground is usually an oily mess causing you to be covered in a caked on mud, the bunkers are a bunch of shitty plastic tubes with ragged and sharp edges that tear your clothing and plywood walls. No one takes their time, it's a damn speed fest which no one takes seriously. Airsoft is just a whole other demographic of players who actually strategize and use teamwork, also it can be played more easily indoors without so many safety precautions and worry about slipping on wet floors.

Oh and then there's air fills which are like $4 and other small things that nickel and dime you to death. All in all your looking to spend about $100 for 2-3 hours of fun, 4 if you can make the balls last.

That's too bad. The communities here in WA and OR are pretty good, and field fees usually include paint.

What are the odds, that one of the nut-ball gamers will flip out during the event, and in the heat of a zombie zerg, pull out a REAL gun and start blasting??!! :rolleyes:

The idea of the real life-multiplayer-first person shooter-role-playing game is OK, its just the fruit cake, crazy gamers whom will most likely attend the event, you have to worry about. :eek:

Highly doubt it as firearms are extremely restricted in Austraila. Yes, they don't even have realistic TOY guns. Realistic toy guns are banned let alone even airsoft.

Matter of fact, even posing with guns in a photograph is frowned upon. Just ask the 2 Aussie olympic swimmers who recently posed with guns and posted it on facebook.

That's too bad. The communities here in WA and OR are pretty good, and field fees usually include paint.

Another problem is the weather in SFL, our temperatures rarely drop below 60 during the winter and when it does it's usually for a week max. 90% of the year it's 80% humidity with temperatures in the mid 90s. There's not alot of places to paintball in the swamp lands.

Oh and then there's air fills which are like $4 and other small things that nickel and dime you to death. All in all your looking to spend about $100 for 2-3 hours of fun, 4 if you can make the balls last.

:wtf: I don't think I've ever seen a field charge for air fills... It's always included in the field fee. I think paintball has gotten significantly cheaper in the last 5 years compared to when I played it a lot back in like 2003-4.

Yes we could have done paint ball but there are a few reasons why not firstly shooting our actors at close range would be a bit of a bad idea unless they were padded up and wearing goggles and really that would kind of suck.
Secondly, this is an enclosed space and the clean up after every team goes through would be a massive task and lastly, paint ball guns look like ass.

Airsoft is illegal in Australia as Tuksonrider pointed out, just to manufacture these we are going through some MASSIVE and expensive hoops.

Also, we wanted to try to recreate the gamer experience more than just a shooting gallery, which most of the other games are, we have a story line, we have plots and sub plots, we have interactive players in the game that give you information crucial to getting to the next level and we have a scoring system. the only thing we don't have is a HUD (and lordy are we trying our hardest to get that sorted out..)

And lastly as, ktk_ace pointed out, yes these sort of games have been happening for years in the UK, US and well everywhere else in teh world but not in Australia and never to the level that we are going. We are making a game that is so bloody epic that we will set the standard for this style event, and Australians get it first.

:wtf: I don't think I've ever seen a field charge for air fills... It's always included in the field fee. I think paintball has gotten significantly cheaper in the last 5 years compared to when I played it a lot back in like 2003-4.

When I used to play in 2006 they were still charging for air at every field I went to around here. It was a fucking monopoly on something that should be free. The best thing to do was go to a hobby store or somewhere that had co2 tanks and get free fills from there, any paintball shop would charge you $2 minimum. Luckily I had a friend who owned an auto garage and gave me free fills so I would go there and get my 4 tanks filled and be ready for the day.

Back