Real Fix for Nvidia graphics in Ubuntu?

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
I've scoured the internet for this answer....is there anyone here who can give me a definitive answer as to how to make Ubuntu (8.10) recognize the full range of my screens resolutions? I have the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers (180) but it only sees up to 1024x768.....and I know it can do higher as I have it at 1600x1200 on my vista desktop...so I'm at your mercy.

installing the nvidia drivers should also install an app called nvidia-settings. Run as root (so sudo nvidia-settings) so the app can edit the xorg.conf

then you can set the res fully. However nice the generic frontends for setting the screensetup they can fail sometimes -

Well I am running nVidia 180.11 on Ubuntu 8.10.

My default resolution is 1680x1050. Never had any problems. Not sure why your config wont let you go higher. Sorry - I can't be more helpful.

I wouldn't consider it a real fix but I switched to Mandriva and it's able to recognize and display all settings for my monitor...so there you have it.

well i was about to say edit xorg.conf but pxc covered it better. Also i was about to ask why not switch to 9.04 since 8.10 is not an lts release anyway.

but if you're happy with mandriva then have fun with it :)

Back