ready to start work on IPCOP box :)

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
this is sweet im about ready to start work on my IPCOP box im using old parts from my previous computers, and i just got back from FRY's they had a badass mid tower case for only $20 its very cheap but good for an IPCOP box. My system is going to be overkill im using my fairly old nforce2 A7N8X and an athlon Xp 2400, some pc3500 ram, radeon 9800pro, 3 old hardrives, 3 old 10/100 NICS including the 2 onboard the motherboard :p so yeah its going to be a pretty powerfull box, im going to be running other programs like bandwidth limiting and QoS programs and other cool stuff, maybe even make it a web server or install windows server, im not sure how much it can handle and not effect IPCOP.

any suggestions or things i should know about setting up an IPCOP box it seems pretty easy.

right now im going to have it hook up to my linksys cable modem then on the other side of the IPCOP box its going to run to the switch on my WRT54G with DHCP turned off and have it being used as an wireless AP.

Yeah, I have a suggestion...don't put all that stuff in the box. It just draws more power. Only thing the HDD will do in that box that'll take space is logging stuff. If you can, get the oldest, cheapest, quietest perhaps AGP card you can find for that box. You should run it without a monitor after setup anyways, cuts down on the power use.
AMD_Gamer said:
im going to be running other programs like bandwidth limiting and QoS programs and other cool stuff, maybe even make it a web server or install windows server, im not sure how much it can handle and not effect IPCOP.
Nope, the only thing you can do on that box when you put ipcop on it is...nothing. It'll be a router only. No running Windows server or anything like that on it. Hell, I'd even tell you to keep looking for an even older computer personally...that is quite overkill for an ipcop, and you're not even doing gigabit routing. Other than that though, your setup sounds pretty sane, green connected to switch, red connected to modem, woot.

And oh yeah, make sure you replace the stock crap QoS with teh Advanced QoS mod first thing.

My suggestion, rethink the hardware if your just running IPCOP. Drop that video card, multiple hard drives, use one stick of RAM if it's just for IPCOP. If you want the machine to do more like being a web/ftp server, or doing more, look into a full Linux distro and just setup the firewall there.

I just setup a pfSense firewall/router box today for my parents, it was a Compaq PII 350 SFF machine, 128 MB RAM, 256 MB compact flash card & IDE adapter to install pfSense, built in video, two 3Com NICS, nothing fancy at all, and even with a decent ruleset that old PII CPU never went above 10% CPU usage over a 1.5 Mbit DSL connecton. Also makes no noise and consumes maybe 30 watts if that, and I never have to worry about a hard disk failure with the CF card holding the OS.

well im just using old hardware i have no other use for so why not? its going to be a beast :p

umm, take out that vid card and sell it off at once...just throw an old cheap-o card in there, its all you need

ndruw said:
umm, take out that vid card and sell it off at once...just throw an old cheap-o card in there, its all you need
Aye. You could even throw in a PCI card and change the options in the BIOS. Just things to help you save some power consumption in that box. And hey, less things to fail, the better, right?

man, i didn't know they had a super easy-to-set-up distro like IPCOP, thanks for bringing this to my attention... i'll have to do some more research, but could anybody tell me quick if you can use a PCI wifi card to make it a wireless AP/router? how does multiple nics work in this thing? besides the 2 required for router... you make it sound like i can control bandwidth to each port :slobber: like a cisco
guess i should just grab a spare HD and install the thing... so much fun..

been wanting to check this out, and that other specialized distro just for NAS, has support for a few software raids... pretty spiffy... that looks interesting to me too... i bookmarked it on another box, but i don't remember the name of it

another question, as an alternative to CF to IDE converters, is there anybody out there that makes a USB to IDE converter specifically for USB flash drives? that would be sooo awesome, as you can get a 512MB now for like 15 dollars... and i even saw a 4GB one on newegg for 85....

EDIT (after doing some reading): wow they need to combine that NAS distro with this one... my god that would be the ultimate network appliance, i would be setting them up for all of my small business owner clients, nearly 100% of which really don't need a full blown "server"

im going to put it together in a few hours will keep you guys updated how everything works out!

tdg said:
My suggestion, rethink the hardware if your just running IPCOP. Drop that video card, multiple hard drives, use one stick of RAM if it's just for IPCOP. If you want the machine to do more like being a web/ftp server, or doing more, look into a full Linux distro and just setup the firewall there.

I just setup a pfSense firewall/router box today for my parents, it was a Compaq PII 350 SFF machine, 128 MB RAM, 256 MB compact flash card & IDE adapter to install pfSense, built in video, two 3Com NICS, nothing fancy at all, and even with a decent ruleset that old PII CPU never went above 10% CPU usage over a 1.5 Mbit DSL connecton. Also makes no noise and consumes maybe 30 watts if that, and I never have to worry about a hard disk failure with the CF card holding the OS.
Yeah, I've been planning to use pfSense myself. Since I decided (or am thinking) to not build such an extravagant server closet and skip the 1U, I'll get a WRAP box instead. Be about $200 or so with everything.

mmm just grabbed an old board that had a cpu in it and loaded it up... a 3com card (green) and 2 netgears (blue, red) and loaded ipcop...

3 gig wd
slot load 16x sony cdrom
cyrix m2 266mhz (OHHHHH YEAAAA, runs like a pentium 333 ;) )
128MB EDO DRAM (2x64MB)
onboard vid/usb/sound (most of which is now disabled)

just playing around with it now, i couldn't get the red interface to grab a address from my LAN until i rebooted... trying to figure out how this stuff works... but i like i like, glad to see the dyndns.org update service, and i think i should be able to configure the routing tables to give me two networks off of this one box, blue and green, that might be useful... trying to figure out how to limit bandwidth to certain networks (network ports) though

EDIT: ok so this 'traffic shaping' thing only allows you to limit bandwidth on the RED?

The stock traffic shaping sucks horribly. You gotta get the Advanced QoS mod if you want to do anything worthwhile. It's a simple process, even moreso if you have a nix box (ssh + scp), otherwise Putty + WinSCP.

Back