Ready to purchase a 120hz monitor for gaming. Need some assistance

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone. I am looking to purchase a 120hz monitor in the near future mainly for fps gaming. I am on a budget of about $400.
I am currently using:
Acer H243H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167

I am torn between these two 24" monitors.
Acer GD235HZbid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222
Acer HS244HQbmii http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009301
It seems like the GD235HZbid (first one) is the better reviewed one even though it doesn't include the 3d glasses and is a bit more pricey. Apparently it doesn't have a DVI port. I am not sure why I would need one if I can just use HDMI though.

Another monitor caught my eye today.
Westinghouse LD-4080 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234047
A 40" 120hz monitor for $365 seems like a steal. I have never gamed on anything larger than a 27" so I don't know if it would be too big, but it seems like it would be an awesome experience.
Is there something I am missing?

I am not super-sensitive to subtle differences in display quality. I am really just in it for the refresh rate improvement.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

The last looks like a really nice TV, however with a 8ms response time I would not want to game on it.

I have stuck with 2ms for myself, though my previous (though some years ago) set of monitors was 5ms, I dont recall much ghosting at 5ms, I do think there was some.

I just looked at the first three, all @ 2ms response time. No ghosting on those, the last might make a good TV but I wouldn't use it for gaming, xbox, PC or otherwise.

The last looks like a really nice TV, however with a 8ms response time I would not want to game on it.

I have stuck with 2ms for myself, though my previous (though some years ago) set of monitors was 5ms, I dont recall much ghosting at 5ms, I do think there was some.

I just looked at the first three, all @ 2ms response time. No ghosting on those, the last might make a good TV but I wouldn't use it for gaming, xbox, PC or otherwise.

Thanks for catching that!
It seems like the Acer GD235HZbid is the most popular 120hz gaming monitor out there that i know of. I was just curious if any of you knowledgeable folks know of a better monitor to recommend, whether it's 23", 27", or 40".

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another monitor caught my eye today.
Westinghouse LD-4080 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234047
A 40" 120hz monitor for $365 seems like a steal. I have never gamed on anything larger than a 27" so I don't know if it would be too big, but it seems like it would be an awesome experience.
Is there something I am missing?

This will not be the same as a 120hz monitor. You will not be able to run a computer at 120hz on a TV, only 60hz, as you would on a 3d monitor that does real 120hz. So this TV should be out of the question.

I'm also in the market for a good 24" 120Hz. Though I think I'm going to stick it out for another week for the Benq XL2420T as the first look reviews and information have been excellent. For $350- $400 each its not that bad, Ill be getting 3 :cool:

That looks like an awesome deal.
I am considering driving out to the TigerDirect store that is about an hour away. I was hoping to use some Newegg giftcards, but this looks awesome for $400.

EDIT: Dang they are out of stock on it. I may order tonight if I don't see something else that peaks my interest.
Still open to suggestions!

Last edited:
That looks like an awesome deal.
I am considering driving out to the TigerDirect store that is about an hour away. I was hoping to use some Newegg giftcards, but this looks awesome for $400.

EDIT: Dang they are out of stock on it. I may order tonight if I don't see something else that peaks my interest.
Still open to suggestions!

Holy shit, that's a steal! I just paid $550 for that same monitor, and that was the cheapest price anywhere.

Circuit City also has the same deal, I ordered from them when I saw it, before I saw it at Tigerdirect. I'm surprised more people aren't jumping on this as it usually goes for $550 and by most accounts is a very good monitor. It seems like there is more interest in 120hz screens now, and there are only a few 27" options, this probably being the best for most people although the the Asus one sounds excellent too.

Anyway, I was considering a 120hz screen for a while but could not make up my mind, this deal did it for me, I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow.

OK what is the difference between the 750 and the Samy S950D? This does look like a nice deal.

The 750 only has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, and 120hz only works on DisplayPort. You'll need the 950D if you want to use 120hz over DVI. The only other difference is the bezel/stand as far as I know.

Thanks bud, I just read (2) great reviews on them. I only have DVI-d or mini hdmi on my GTX 470's so no 120 hz for me on the 750 and I am not paying 300 bucks more for the 950 which is basicly the same monitor.

Just went to Fry's to pricematch that 27" Samsung and they jerked me around for an hour and a half before telling me they wouldn't honor it because their version came with 3D glasses and CompUSA's apparently doesn't. 3 hours of driving for nothing.

Just went to Fry's to pricematch that 27" Samsung and they jerked me around for an hour and a half before telling me they wouldn't honor it because their version came with 3D glasses and CompUSA's apparently doesn't. 3 hours of driving for nothing.

Lolwut? They all come with 3d glasses. Unless TD is selling some oem version, which isn't indicated anywhere on their site.

Anyways, I really like mine. Easily the best monitor I've ever owned.

Yea I am still pretty upset. She offered to discount the price to $500 for my trouble of making the hour and a half trip there. What a joke.
Funny because on the phone I was promised a price match.

Whatever. I ordered it from CompUSA and it will be here Friday.

I really want to be sure I can hook this thing up and experience all it has to offer on Friday. So I have got to ask:
Does it come with a mini-DP cable? (to go from my HD6950 with 120hz)
Is there any special drivers I need to install in order to try my games in 3D?

I am mostly interested in playing with the improved response time, but the 3D could end up being cool. Also going up from 24" to 27" should be pretty awesome.

Oh man now it says
"Shipping: Usually Ships in 7 - 21 Days"

But when I ordered it a few hours ago it said
"Shipping: In Stock"
Then I ordered it and it said "anticipated delivery of 12/30" (Friday). I really really hope my order doesn't get pushed back as well. :-(

I really want to be sure I can hook this thing up and experience all it has to offer on Friday. So I have got to ask:
Does it come with a mini-DP cable? (to go from my HD6950 with 120hz)
Is there any special drivers I need to install in order to try my games in 3D?

I am mostly interested in playing with the improved response time, but the 3D could end up being cool. Also going up from 24" to 27" should be pretty awesome.

Monitor is arriving tomorrow. Any insight on this?

You will need to install the correct monitor driver and the Tridef driver to get 3d to work.
I would guess you would get a driver disk but I would download the latest drivers and not use the ones on the cd.

Also only display port will give you 120hz so forget about the hdmi connection.
Looking at New egg's site it does not show a DP cable only hdmi which is just useless for this monitor. Shame on Samsung for not suppling the right cable.

Good luck dude I would buy this monitor in a second for 399.99 if I had display port on my 470's.
My only choice is to by an expensive adapter or buy the 950.

Back