Ready to overclock my AMD 4400X2 and Asus A8N32 but need help?

Cyber

Limp Gawd
I have my system set up an running at stock speeds. I have a 4400 x2. Can someone please give me some insight on what to have my bios settings configured at so I can attempt to overclock this cpu. This is my first amd and I have no idea really to start. I was able to overclock a 3.2 E to 4.165 stable. HTT is equivalent to FSB isnt it? also do i have to lock my agp? also what setting is the multiplier and what should i have it set at? Thanks for all the help for an X-intel user. if it helps my board came with bios 703.

Does the A8N32 even have an agp port??? In any case yes, your pci/agp bus must be locked, this is uasually done by disabling center spread spectrum, depending on your bios. Drop your HTT multiplier to 3 or 4 and start pushing the fsb till it wont go anymore. Run a ram divider if you must. Do a little research too, theres a lot of different tricks to overclocking, more then I care to explain in this post but google wil happily retrieve some info for you.

a8n32 has dual pci-e slots, no agp at all, htt is fsb for amd chips, just down clock your ram to ddr 333 and drop the htt multiplyer to 4x and raise the htt speed....

Apparently my AMD 4400+ X2 is a locked processor with a 11X multiplier. Option in bios to change multiplier to a lower one is locked. Contacted Asus and they stated they do not support overclocking and that this feature is locked on some processors. Talked to OCZ tech support and this is the first time they heard of it. They were very helpful and explained settings in the bios for this board to me. They suggested I contact AMD and see why I cant change the multiplier to this processor. AMD stated that these are manufactered locked and that I will not be able to lower my multiplier. Has anyone else heard of this? So for the time being I have to set my K8 to NB Frequency in the Advanced Chipset Settings to 400MHz. This setting is the HTT(LDT) multiplier. Then I just am limited to raising FSB to whatever I can get stable. For anything above 250FSB you will need to set it at 600MHz. Just as long as this is under a 1000 you are good to go. I will post pics of the FID/VID Change of how it is locked on [AUTO]. If I was able to set this setting to manual, I would be able to change the CPU frequency multiplier and CPU VCORE voltage.

I've never heard of a recent AMD processor being locked downwards. I suspect it could be a BIOS bug. Don't expect any help from ASUS though. . . they won't even acknowledge problems with their BIOSes or even let you know that they're looking into a fix. Then, a month or two after you give up and get a different board. . . BOOM. . . fixed BIOS released.

At least, that was my experience with the voltage problem on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium.

As for settings, check out my sig. We have the same processor. So if you can figure out how to lower your CPU multiplier, you might try my settings as a starting point (though use less voltage if at all possible).

Best,

Hurin

Well I have successfully unlocked my multiplier in the bios Will post results soon.

Back