Ready or Not: tactical SWAT game

The amount of effort getting the NPCs to react properly must take a lot of time, and probably why these games are dead as a genre outside of this. In most other games teleporting is okay (when an NPC gets stuck or falls behind) or they rely on spawning/respawning (like GTA/RDR2 where enemies can spawn just feet behind the player). And things like odd accuracy is more pronounced considering the damage system. I think it will take a while to get this up and running perfectly.

But there are a good 4-5 maps in white box that you can mess around. I played in a gas station map that was mostly white box.

Difficult to make well, and a niche genre, means they don't come around often :(.

Biggest problem I have right now is both friendly officers and enemy suspects can occasionally see through walls. And proceed to shoot very accurately through them. Had my team see through the upstairs floor and a wall. They both had a shoot out together. I also clipped through a wall in one map. Lots of quirks with the AI.

Of course it is early access, but certainly not ready for gameplay. More than small bugs currently. Still very much WIP. Hopefully they progress quickly over the next 6 months.

20220726075922_1.jpg

20220726075436_1.jpg

20220726075931_1.jpg

This game is hot really like the animations and clean look to the game. I wanted Trepang 2 more but it's not out yet. The developers of Ready or Not said to buy both games.

20220724182600_1.jpg
20220723183931_1.jpg
20220716001417_1.jpg
20220716001714_1.jpg

It clearly needs work as the enemy reaction times are a bit off, and animations can be cleaned up for things like hit reactions. AI officers occasionally get hung up on certain things like restraining someone. Weapon damage needs to be tweaked. Context menu as well.

But generally still playable. Already have around 25 hours of game time in it. Overall not as smooth as SWAT 4 yet but I think it will eventually do everything as good or better.

Attachments

• 20220716001417_1.jpg
    20220716001417_1.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dies the type of gun you use matter in game?

It does but is caliber based. There are also different ammo types but I can't recall how to change them, the loadout editing needs to be tweaked to be more clear. Still, damage is a bit off. Sometimes people can take a fair amount of rounds and just walk it off. SWAT 4 had limping for injured people, so far Ready or Not lacks it. Suspects can get knocked down or play dead which is great, but being able to run and fight 100% effectively after taking a few rounds juts isn't right. I'd expect to see them limp around. Of course the game is still work in progress and I believe they are implementing such features in the future.

Generally you'll want to use rifles. Shotguns are easily stopped by body armor, which while realistic there is again not enough of an impact reaction. SWAT 4 with mods had a similar dynamic but had notable impact/stunning reactions. Armor did good at stopping shotgun buckshot but it would stun enemies and they would jerk around with each impact as expected. As Ready or Not doesn't have it yet, you can shoot someone 1-3 times with a shotgun and they'll just stand, maybe walk a bit and kill you. Using the shotgun in the Neon Nightclub map took me something like 10 tries to finish the mission because if I had to fight an enemy, there was a 50% chance I'd die. Rifles on the other hand were so much easier.

TLDR: If you want the easiest time, use rifles. If you want a challenge, use an SMG. Want something harder, use a shotgun.

20220824060029_1.jpg

20220824060319_1.jpg

20220824061210_1.jpg

Thought this game would be a breeze your doing good then you get flanked by a guy in the dark while completing objectives.
Still haven't completed a Map I guess the Maps are suppose to be dark I didn't have Night Vision just Glow Sticks.

Finally finished a mission if you don't complete all the objectives and there is nothing left to do you can end the mission by pressing Page up for a vote to end it. I just played a easy game the other selectable difficulties must be crazy.

This game doesn't have native controller support but it has some community layouts that work pretty well.
Even with a controller this game is pretty hard but at least you can avoid doing prompts for opening doors easier with a controller. The Steam community doesn't know if Ready or Not 1.0 is going to happen either.

Last edited:
Looking good to me. On track for V1.0 this year.

Lots of good improvements with the recent news letters. Looks like many options for control as well as smarter and more dynamic AI.

599a9e64fe00e31ee22795dec85d85d74069ca60.png

ba4ac2fa549f077a1b637579c5ba1c79e98787bb.gif

92a40d797755674b21d93187be701beb4e914628.gif

You can now choose someone with a shield to go in first, you can have officers edge around the corner before going in, and you can have them open the door while you toss a grenade. You can also have them breach and use a grenade launcher.

More here.

Like the guy walking backwards he knows he can be flanked from the rear just as well as the front.

This is a big overhaul. Essentially the release. More content seems to be planned as well.

Out today the last time I played this was in a LCD va panel I hope my OLED is bright enough alot of dark area in game but I can always crank it up.

Update: just tested it but going to play with a controller now since it's supported. I think I can 180 faster with a controller than with a mouse look.
Make sure you have refresh cranked up to 144hz not sure if it goes higher I had it off a few times. It's super smooth with it enabled.

Last edited:
You can't update it from the ealier game you have to redownload it but the good thing it's 48 gigs instead of 90+/

No native controller support all the user controller setups are deleated with 1.0 but you can enable Steam controller overlay alot of people say they are not playing the game untill native support goes in.

20231213232534_1.jpg

There is 3 modes for single player Practice which is just a single mission and Training then Commander which is story mode so there is only one difficulty.

20231213233212_1.jpg

Training mode hub

20231213233232_1.jpg

They revamped the entire Hub

Last edited:
Is this game as content dry as it looks?

I recall a lot of people saying this could be a proper successor to Swat 4 with some additions, but I'm not certain if much has been added since that point.

Is this game as content dry as it looks?

Not really. It has roughly the same amount of missions and weapons, with more armor and breaching options. New commands are nice.

My main issues are the GUI, the station GUI is still outright annoying. A 3D interactive GUI is only amusing the first time you use it. So far I am just doing the campaign missions, but I believe you can still play other game modes like with previous updates on the maps. It does lack a quick mission editor, which IMO is very important.

No native controller support all the user controller setups are deleated with 1.0 but you can enable Steam controller overlay alot of people say they are not playing the game untill native support goes in.
Yeah hopefully it doesn't get stuck on the backburner. Controllers are just better ergonomically for some when gaming (accuracy/reaction arguments aside).

Yeah hopefully it doesn't get stuck on the backburner. Controllers are just better ergonomically for some when gaming (accuracy/reaction arguments aside).

I have nothing against controllers but I wouldn't play an FPS, especially one where you can die in 2 seconds, with a controller.

Does the game have PvP? Otherwise I can't imagine it being a big deal...

It does but I doubt it will be much fun, and probably not too many players. This game/genre is primarily SP/co-op. I did play SWAT 4 MP a bit back in the day, but never cared for it. 99% of my time was in SP.

This game needs a Cuss Pack think it would be pretty funny for the Ai to shout stupid stuff.

This is quite solid. Difficult, too. It's scratching the SWAT itch for me.

This is quite solid. Difficult, too. It's scratching the SWAT itch for me.
I wonder if loadouts helps with making the enemy AI easier? Like getting better armor? All it takes is for one sneaky guy behind a door.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I wonder if loadouts helps with making the enemy AI easier? Like getting better armor? All it takes is for one sneaky guy behind a door.

I have learned the hard way quickly: Micromanagement is a must for this.

Back