Ready or Not: tactical SWAT game

Looks like there was a big update for supporters with a new SP build.

Single Player gameplay.

Lot of videos floating around as the NDA for the alpha build has been lifted. Seems like a lot of progress has been made. Team NPC looks decent, but not quite done yet. Voice acting seems on point. Weapon sounds and animations look better. Of course this is still an alpha build so hopefully it gets better.

Lots of videos being posted around. Maybe the beta build is coming in the next few months?

Motion capture animation of suicide by rifle.

I assume some suspects will be able to kill themselves.

Looks like there was a big update for supporters with a new SP build.

Single Player gameplay.

Lot of videos floating around as the NDA for the alpha build has been lifted. Seems like a lot of progress has been made. Team NPC looks decent, but not quite done yet. Voice acting seems on point. Weapon sounds and animations look better. Of course this is still an alpha build so hopefully it gets better.

Lots of videos being posted around. Maybe the beta build is coming in the next few months?

Motion capture animation of suicide by rifle.

I assume some suspects will be able to kill themselves.

The updated alpha is remarkably good. All the doubt I had has been erased. It's straight up Swat 5. Also since the update, they've been pushing 1-3 hot fixes a day, often fixing bugs within 24 hours of being reported. The team is killing it.

It's available on Steam early access as of today. $40

Can anyone comment if it's worth it? Is it a good amount of content and replayability for $40? I'm very skeptical of early access stuff.

It's available on Steam early access as of today. $40

Can anyone comment if it's worth it? Is it a good amount of content and replayability for $40? I'm very skeptical of early access stuff.

I think so. I paid $120 and I'm not disappointed. If f I recall correctly there are 7 (mostly) finished levels right now, each of which have between one and five different missions (eventually all will have five). The devs have been great about updates, sometimes 2+ a day, though I think some updates will be pushed early to supporter edition.

There's definitely still some early access jank, but for the most part it's pretty solid. I'm really confident of the direction things are headed.

The videos on youtube look good, for what is obviously a beta. I don't have much to put into games currently, and after being screwed by BF 2042 I'll wait a bit longer and see how it progresses.

They deserve the support. All in.

EDIT: Good first impressions. If you wanted a new SWAT/ Rainbow Six tactical game this is it. As close as we will ever get. :)

Last edited:
Did they steal all the voice lines from SWAT 4 or something, because everything everyone says sounds identical.

We been wanting a good follow up to SWAT 4 for years but nobody wanted to make one. This one might be what were wanting. Not sure if I want to wait for final release or grab it during early access.

Think I might pick up SWAT 4 on GOG to give it another play. Have the disk version but I think it has Securom so it won't load on W10.

Looks pretty good.

Edit: I was amused in that video when he said the door was blocked from using the mirror, but there was like a 4 inch gap above the door frame that was just open. I wonder if the game would let you mirror over the door...

A few polish issues, inconsistent AI, and bugs still but overall I am really happy about this and I can't wait to see it by "full launch status."

It's real simple: This is the only new SWAT/RB6 style game we are probably ever going to get and these devs are doing it. It's still a WIP and at least that's disclosed honestly. Treat it as such and offer feedback to them if you dive in. The more the merrier.

I rarely if ever pull the trigger on any early access anything. I did here because I put my money where my mouth is and I think these devs deserve it.

Last edited:
A few polish issues, inconsistent AI, and bugs still but overall I am really happy about this and I can't wait to see it by "full launch status."

It's real simple: This is the only new SWAT/RB6 style game we are probably ever going to get and these devs are doing it. It's still a WIP and at least that's disclosed honestly. Treat it as such and offer feedback to them if you dive in. The more the merrier.

I rarely if ever pull the trigger on any early access anything. I did here because I put my money where my mouth is and I think these devs deserve it.
Looks awesome. Level design is very bare.

Some enemies can shoot through walls and doors. Some enemies can literally disappear and still shoot you.

Very inconsistent squad AI. Sometimes they just flat out do nothing in response to orders. You have to be right on top of them if you give an order they comply with. If not, it doesn't happen and they don't radio you from a distance that "door is unlocked" or anything like that.

Having an enemy immediately spawn kill you sometimes on mission start is lame. Sometimes traps are invisible with or without optiwand use.

They need to fix these sorts of things ASAP this late into development.

Last edited:
Some enemies can shoot through walls and doors. Some enemies can literally disappear and still shoot you.

Very inconsistent squad AI. Sometimes they just flat out do nothing in response to orders. You have to be right on top of them if you give an order they comply with. If not, it doesn't happen and they don't radio you from a distance that "door is unlocked" or anything like that.

Having an enemy immediately spawn kill you sometimes on mission start is lame. Sometimes traps are invisible with or without optiwand use.

They need to fix these sorts of things ASAP this late into development.

They're getting new animations and the "terminator accuracy" is being worked on. Game is about a year out. Main reason they brought this to Steam early is Valve wasn't allowing them to make more product keys for supporters.

Their publisher, Team 17, is no longer working with them either. Some say that is a good thing as Team 17 seemed to hold back updates for the supporter edition for a long time.

They're getting new animations and the "terminator accuracy" is being worked on. Game is about a year out. Main reason they brought this to Steam early is Valve wasn't allowing them to make more product keys for supporters.

Their publisher, Team 17, is no longer working with them either. Some say that is a good thing as Team 17 seemed to hold back updates for the supporter edition for a long time.

Thanks.

So afraid to buy this not that I can't afford it Rainbow Six Extraction is right around the corner. Visually and structure wise it looks like a good game but it doesn't really look exciting.

Last edited:
So afraid to buy this not that I can't afford it Rainbow Six Extraction is right around the corner. Visually and structure wise it looks like a good game but it doesn't really look exciting.
You should, I was just gifted this by a friend and I'm loving the game. I know that this is an early release and this has been in the works for a long time.

One of the animators or is on the development team at least previously made some stuff like this and this is from his channel. Give it a watch and you'll see the dedication that this game is getting, it's worth the purchase even if it's an early release [it's not quite polished but is very playable and much harder than you think]

Last edited:

It's Early Access and you are voting with your wallet. If you want to have a real tactical game like what a lot of us enjoyed yesteryear this is it. I rarely if ever do Early Access myself and even I did it.

You should, I was just gifted this by a friend and I'm loving the game. I know that this is an early release and this has been in the works for a long time.

One of the animators or is on the development team at least previously made some stuff like this and this is from his channel. Give it a watch and you'll see the dedication that this game is getting, it's worth the purchase even if it's an early release [it's not quite polished but is very playable and much harder than you think]

I believe one (or more than one) of the guys worked on Borderlands The Pre Sequel (done by an Australian team).

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
This game is totally worth it for the coop funsies you get. AI could use some work and stuff but generally speaking it's very fun to play. Here's some of my twitch stream - sorry, no voip [deaf - no chatter] but you should get an idea. I streamed these when I was early in the game so pretty rusty there but it's so much fun.

Are you...
giphy.gif

I bought and played it last night with a full group, it feels a little weird at first but as you play it grows on you as you get used to the jankiness and is pretty fun.

Ready or Not is the most fun I had in a pc game in years! Not 100% sure about it but close 98 to 99% sure.

Bought this today if anyone would like to play that would be cool.

I bought this last night after a discord buddy mentioned having a lot of fun with it.

Despite getting positive press, apparently the cringey, offended-by-everything SJW super soldiers over at Kotaku are saying that the game is a "racist" and "alt-right" police brutality simulator and are reeeeeeeeeing because the game's doing so well on Steam. I don't often purchase Early Access games, but in this case it was a pretty easy decision.

Gonna fire it up now; hopefully it is the spiritual successor to SWAT 4 that I'm hoping for!

Reactions: w35t
like this
I bought this last night after a discord buddy mentioned having a lot of fun with it.

Despite getting positive press, apparently the cringey, offended-by-everything SJW super soldiers over at Kotaku are saying that the game is a "racist" and "alt-right" police brutality simulator and are reeeeeeeeeing because the game's doing so well on Steam. I don't often purchase Early Access games, but in this case it was a pretty easy decision.

Gonna fire it up now; hopefully it is the spiritual successor to SWAT 4 that I'm hoping for!

Kotaku has been a joke for years.

Ready or not looks pretty good. Will be interesting how it will progress.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Played around in it for an hour. It still needs a lot of work but clearly they are trying to make this a proper SWAT 4/Rainbow Six successor. It does lean more towards SWAT though.

Being early access there is still a lot of bugs or shortcomings. I made it around 20 minutes into my first mission and the game crashed. Weapon recoil is a bit too high, red dots seem to climb all the way to the top for some odd reason even under moderate fire. With the SR-16 and Aimpoint, if you rapid fire the dot floats up to the top of the sight and disappears. Loadout and per-mission briefing is not implemented but you can edit the teams load out in a "team room" which is just cumbersome. I'd prefer a regular GUI and not walking around lockers to change things. Officer AI can at times be a bit off as expected. Ragdoll/body physics can be awkward too. I am playing in DX12 and get some stuttering.

But it is all a good start and it is semi playable. I think this will probably still be in early access for another year though.

I’ve put a few hours into it. I enjoy it but it gets repetitive after a while as all the encounters are pretty similar. I like the way the guns look and sound and it’s fun to bust open doors with the battering ram or blow them open with C4.

I did have one bug where the lock pick stopped working for me and my teammates but it’s early access so that’s expected.

We also encountered a baddie that somehow killed our whole team in one shot each while not having line of site on us. Not sure what happened there but it looked like he was shooting through filing cabinets or something.

Overall it’s fun but it needs more content.

Back