Ready made Windows 7 iso with SP1, USB3, NVME, and cumulative security roll-up slip-streamed?

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
So I worked on assembling my own ISO that fits the above description, and it ultimately failed to boot properly. I have a USB boot disk that I used the gigabyte tool to load up USB3 and NVME drivers that DOES work, but it only gives me Win7 and DOES NOT have SP1 with the cumulative roll-out (gigabytes of updates)... which causes many issues when attempting to install software from scratch (many programs for Win7 rely on SP1 and current .NET which requires SP1).

So... does anyone have a working ISO for Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 + USB 3.0 + NVME + cumulative update roll-up ready made that I can generate a bootable USB stick from?

Do note that I have a legit Win7 ultimate license key, and just need a slipstreamed ISO.

You do realize that Win7 is end of life product and it doesn't get patched for 0-day vulnerabilities anymore? It's a time bomb if you connect it to internet.
MS just patched 120 vulns for Win10, many of which were drive-by vulnerabilities. None of those fixes will reach your Win7 box and it's higly likely the same ones are found in Win7.

Ryom,

You may need to attack this in pieces to see which part is causing the issues.

Start with just 7 + the USB3 drivers (use the mobo OEM tool if you have one), preferably on a spinning disk in AHCI mode. Once you have that working. Take the existing ISO you created and integrate the NVME drivers in and try again. Then finish the remaining updates. If possible, start with a Windows 7 ISO that has SP1 ntegrated in. And you don't need to have a "Windows 7 Ultimate" ISO. You can remove the ei.cfg file to basically create a generic 7 that lets you choose any version. https://blog.expta.com/2009/08/convert-your-windows-7-iso-to-universal.html

I know it's a lot of work but customizing ISO's like this is not a one and done task.

Thanks Chris, my last attempt was starting with the known good boot image that worked (made with gigabyte's USB boot disk tool that includes NVME and USB3) and slipstreaming SP1 and the cumulative security update roll-out into that with NT-Lite to create a new ISO, which I then used Rufus to make into a bootable USB. Went through the steps to verify secure boot, UEFI, and legacy boot options were adjusted appropriately in my BIOS.

The setup still failed partway through as it attempts to finish the install and ends up rolling back.

So at this point I'm pretty much writing it off as a failed attempt. Unfortunately I HATE Win10 with a fiery rage (yes I've used it), but it seems inevitable at this point. Keeping newer equipment running is just getting too tricky.

Unfortunately I HATE Win10 with a fiery rage (yes I've used it), but it seems inevitable at this point. Keeping newer equipment running is just getting too tricky.

You don't get to make a choice... you do understand that, right? If you believe that Windows is "the way", then that means Windows 10. It's not a choice (I think you're figuring that out).

My guess is that "fiery rage" is an overstatement on your part. Otherwise, you wouldn't even be here discussing Windows as you would have moved on to a different OS? True?

Thanks Chris, my last attempt was starting with the known good boot image that worked (made with gigabyte's USB boot disk tool that includes NVME and USB3) and slipstreaming SP1 and the cumulative security update roll-out into that with NT-Lite to create a new ISO, which I then used Rufus to make into a bootable USB. Went through the steps to verify secure boot, UEFI, and legacy boot options were adjusted appropriately in my BIOS.

The setup still failed partway through as it attempts to finish the install and ends up rolling back.

So at this point I'm pretty much writing it off as a failed attempt. Unfortunately I HATE Win10 with a fiery rage (yes I've used it), but it seems inevitable at this point. Keeping newer equipment running is just getting too tricky.
If you plan to use Win7 I wouldn't worry so much about the security updates because you'll be vulnerable to the latest threats anyway. If you want to take a risk and use it, you may as well leave it unpatched since many of the older exploits do not circulate anymore. The new stuff does and Win7 will be open for them.

B00nie cjcox

• How do I stop Windows 10 from disabling HDMI hi-def audio every time the monitor sleeps, requiring me to reinstall the driver to get sound from my receiver?
  • Why do some of the system tray icons become blurry and unusable after the monitor sleeps and how do you stop that? I need scaling due to a high res display.
  • Why does Win10 dark mode have blinding pure white application bars and how do you change that? It's not in the appearance or themes options.
  • Why does the appearance and themes not allow me to specify a color for inactive title bars? In dark mode the inactive windows are darker than the active window and it looks backwards.
  • How do I get Chrome on Win10 to ignore the Win10 dark theme as I have a light theme I like but it makes the menus black? No options in Windows or Chrome seem to affect the menus.
  • How do I get iTunes to start with Windows 10? It won't let me add it to the start menu or other startup locations?
  • Where is Windows Photo and Fax viewer? The default viewer is an image editor and the "Photos" viewer is also an editor and doesn't function how I'd expect an image viewer to.
  • Why isn't Win10 generating thumbnails for all my videos? For example, MKV videos are not showing preview thumbnails.
  • How do I sort a folder so that files are arranged by "Date Modified" but the directories are kept at the top/first in "Large Icons" view instead of moved to dead last?

Last edited:
Ryom , I'm primarily a Linux user. Dark mode in Windows 10 is an afterthought and not integrated. Arguably, theming as a whole lacks integration on Windows 10. The means that some (a lot?) of things require app support in order to "work". Windows 10 isn't going to win any awards for configurable UI. I think I'll have defer on the other items in your list. To me they are "issues"... not sure if there are any good solutions to most of them.

B00nie cjcox

• How do I stop Windows 10 from disabling HDMI hi-def audio every time the monitor sleeps, requiring me to reinstall the driver to get sound from my receiver?
  • Why do some of the system tray icons become blurry and unusable after the monitor sleeps and how do you stop that? I need scaling due to a high res display.
  • Why does Win10 dark mode have blinding pure white application bars and how do you change that? It's not in the appearance or themes options.
  • Why does the appearance and themes not allow me to specify a color for inactive title bars? In dark mode the inactive windows are darker than the active window and it looks backwards.
  • How do I get Chrome on Win10 to ignore the Win10 dark theme as I have a light theme I like but it makes the menus black? No options in Windows or Chrome seem to affect the menus.
  • How do I get iTunes to start with Windows 10? It won't let me add it to the start menu or other startup locations?
  • Where is Windows Photo and Fax viewer? The default viewer is an image editor and the "Photos" viewer is also an editor and doesn't function how I'd expect an image viewer to.
  • Why isn't Win10 generating thumbnails for all my videos? For example, MKV videos are not showing preview thumbnails.
  • How do I sort a folder so that files are arranged by "Date Modified" but the directories are kept at the top/first in "Large Icons" view instead of moved to dead last?
I'm afraid I can't help you there. I use Windows only to play games a couple times per month so I have zero interest to start to tweak it or solve its problems. I use OSX for my daily desktop and linux for anything more advanced.

You did ask a *lot* of questions in one post and as each answer is going to be several times the size of each question, well, I dunno... I mean I ain't gonna touch all that.

You did ask a *lot* of questions in one post and as each answer is going to be several times the size of each question, well, I dunno... I mean I ain't gonna touch all that.

Nah, their original posts were NOT helpful to the question at hand. So I went ahead and tested to see if they'd continue posting unhelpful garbage and they sure did. I've solved most of the issues already, and the others are long standing problems in Win10 that remain unfixed (shocking, I know).

Gotta love people that recommend to do something (upgrade to Win10), then abandon ship when that person asks for assistance with that recommendation. I have linux installs already as well, but some things you just need Windows for.

Last edited:
    • Go to device manager and update to the Microsoft Driver instead of the Nvidia driver to stop this behavior.
    • Known issue for many years, remains unsolved if you need scaling for a high res display. So much for the vaunted Win10 DPI scaling, Win7 actually works better here.
    • Known issue, requires registry tweak to solve (why?). Google it.
    • Known issue, requires adding registry keys to solve (why?). Google it.
    • Known issue, the parameter switch to disable Chrome ignoring Win10 dark mode was removed by Google. No known work around.
    • Known issue with iTunes as it is a native Win10 app and Win10 does not allow it's inclusion in startup (why? who knows.) No great solutions, some bad work-arounds (adding it as a system service, etc).
    • A perfectly functional program that was removed by MS in Win10. Adding it back in requires copying files from Win8, and adding registry keys, and tricking windows into releasing image file associations. Huge headache, but possible to add back in. Better off going with a 3rd party dedicated image viewer due to the work involved.
    • Known issue, using a 3rd party utility like Media Preview Configuration or the tools with some codec packs will fix this.
    • Sort files by date modified in the "List" view then shift-click the "name" column, then switch to "Large Icons" view to keep folders at the front. Very intuitive Microsoft :rolleyes:

Nah, their original posts were NOT helpful to the question at hand. So I went ahead and tested to see if they'd continue posting unhelpful garbage and they sure did. I've solved most of the issues already, and the others are long standing problems in Win10 that remain unfixed (shocking, I know).

Gotta love people that recommend to do something (upgrade to Win10), then abandon ship when that person asks for assistance with that recommendation. I have linux installs already as well, but some things you just need Windows for.

The point is, it doesn't matter. Can't hold onto something that's dead. If you believe Windows is "the future", that means Windows 10 today. There are choices, sure, but not when it comes to Windows version.

Reactions: Ryck
like this
forget about 7 and move on :D
Capture-210830.jpg

I don't understand why some people go to such lengths to install an outdated OS as a botnet machine?

I went down that WIn 7 iso inserted drivers rabbit hole a long time ago for work. Not worth it to be honest.

I don't understand why some people go to such lengths to install an outdated OS as a botnet machine?

I went down that WIn 7 iso inserted drivers rabbit hole a long time ago for work. Not worth it to be honest.
Been there done that a while ago now.
One nice thing about Windows 10 is the current installer is usually pretty close to the current install. Whereas Win 7 and before it was install the base. Run updates about 10 times so you could reboot and get batchews of updates done. Oh yeah and spend 4-5 hours waiting for updates to finish. I remember that first update to get the stupid background intelligent update for windows update to figure out it needed to update the updater first would take like 45 minutes.

More than past time to move on. Win 10 for all its quirks is in many ways still much easier to deal with than Win 7 was.

Make friends with serva.

Just throw the drivers in the oem folder and install windows 7 over your network.

Fuck cds and fuck windows 10 too

It’s just a matter of time before you will have to move on. My last 2 computers had parts that didn’t even have drivers. Right now no modern chipsets have drivers for Windows 7. When AMD and Nvidia stop making drivers for it that will be the final nail in the coffin. I don’t have solutions to your problems but I know that Windows 7 isn’t it. Seeing that you have a system new enough that it has an nvme slot, I doubt that you will get very far after the install. Intel and AMD stopped making chipset drivers 3-4 generations ago. You’ll be lucky if it even boots correctly after the install.

B00nie cjcox

As most of your Windows 10 irritations seem based around the :look" of it, might I suggest a Stardock Object Desktop subscription. The subscription gets you free updates for a year, but you get to keep everything you install on it regardless of if you continue the subscription or not. You can renew for the same renewal price of $20 at anytime in the future (I let mine lapse for 6 years and renewed this year with no issue). Object Desktop gets you:

Curtains - which allows you to have more granular control over the Windows 10 built-in theming aspects.
Windowblinds - which allows you to download (or create, using the bundled SkinStudio app) an entirely custom UI for Windows 10 (Does everything Curtains does, and a whole lot more). You can also exempt specific apps from skinning.
CursorFX - custom cursor and mouse effects
IconPackager - Change Windows icons to any bundle of icons you choose
-- www.wincustomize.com has a lot of premium and free skin/icon/cursor designs for all of above.
Start10 - a highly customizable Start Menu replacement.
WindowFX - Customize the visual effects used for windows, menus, and transitions.
Groupy - Gives every window a tabbed interface, more like a lot of classic Mac apps.
Multiplicity - control multiple computers with 1 mouse and keyboard. Basically works like a multi-monitor setup, but instead of moving your mouse over to the other screen, the other screen is driven by an entirely different PC.
Fences - Group applications together in dedicated "regions" on your desktop.

...and more

It would address many of your concerns, and even better, it comes with free out-of-the-box included skins to make Windows 10 look and act like Windows 7 (or even 8). You can of course argue that this stuff should be built-in, and in some cases, a fdair bit of this functionality was buiilt-in in prior Windows versions, but...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryom
like this
As most of your Windows 10 irritations seem based around the :look" of it, might I suggest a Stardock Object Desktop subscription. The subscription gets you free updates for a year, but you get to keep everything you install on it regardless of if you continue the subscription or not. You can renew for the same renewal price of $20 at anytime in the future (I let mine lapse for 6 years and renewed this year with no issue). Object Desktop gets you:

Curtains - which allows you to have more granular control over the Windows 10 built-in theming aspects.
Windowblinds - which allows you to download (or create, using the bundled SkinStudio app) an entirely custom UI for Windows 10 (Does everything Curtains does, and a whole lot more). You can also exempt specific apps from skinning.
CursorFX - custom cursor and mouse effects
IconPackager - Change Windows icons to any bundle of icons you choose
-- www.wincustomize.com has a lot of premium and free skin/icon/cursor designs for all of above.
Start10 - a highly customizable Start Menu replacement.
WindowFX - Customize the visual effects used for windows, menus, and transitions.
Groupy - Gives every window a tabbed interface, more like a lot of classic Mac apps.
Multiplicity - control multiple computers with 1 mouse and keyboard. Basically works like a multi-monitor setup, but instead of moving your mouse over to the other screen, the other screen is driven by an entirely different PC.
Fences - Group applications together in dedicated "regions" on your desktop.

...and more

It would address many of your concerns, and even better, it comes with free out-of-the-box included skins to make Windows 10 look and act like Windows 7 (or even 8). You can of course argue that this stuff should be built-in, and in some cases, a fdair bit of this functionality was buiilt-in in prior Windows versions, but...
Stardock used to be free... It can fix the skin but not the innards. Telemetry, forced reboots etc. will all remain.

Stardock used to be free... It can fix the skin but not the innards. Telemetry, forced reboots etc. will all remain.

Regarding Stardock - they certainly have free trials of many of their Object Desktop components, and there are a few free utilities they give out, but Object Desktop itself has had a cost associated with it since at least 2006 when I started using it. That cost has gone down rather a lot, though, but I suspect that is because those type of utilities are no longer the company's bread and butter now that they are largely a small game developer and publishing house.

Regarding Windows 10 innards being problematic, I suppose that would depend on whether or not you consider telemetry and reboots a few days after system updates are installed once a month to be an actual problem. I've personally not had a problem with either of these things since MS made some adjustments based on user feedback to both quite some time ago. It has simply not had any impact on my workflow. YMMV, of course.

You can "tweak" a lot of problems away in Win10, and prevent updates, but it's an ongoing process once you allow updates, you have to check everyhting again. There are apps that do it for you, but Pro version is a must IMO, so you can disable auto updates from the start. I did a lot f research before switching over back in Dec. of last year, and configured everything before connecting the machine to the net, and I have been problem free so far. Except for some HDR issues with my TV which may be the particular game, or the TV. If MS ever does away with offline installation, that would screw you over right there. Always active OS as a service is coming eventually, and we will be saying the things about Win10, that e were saying about Win7. I just hope it's not for another ten years or so, even though I know it's right around the corner, and gaming on PC will be dead to me unless we get another attempt from Steam or something.

Back