Ready for an Epic 4G next month. Some questions though...

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm more or less sold on the phone after trying out a number of Android phones at the Sprint store. Its the smoothest operating one, 4G in my area works, the keyboard allows me to actually type (my fingers are just too fat and calloused for that touchscreen keyboard, else I'd be sold on the Evo) and I know it can still be rooted per a Google search. So, that said, I still have some questions:

1. What's good in the protect-your-phone world? I need next to bulletproof protection. I work on a receiving dock and my current phone has a nice little sunspot in the screen from the liquid crystal leaking out after falling out of my hip holster (I hate magnet based holsters but they are the only kind out there, it seems) and meeting concrete. The sunspot blocks my view of anything on screen. I'd like to not repeat this with a more expensive and way more awesome phone.

Additional question to this topic - Zagg Invisible Shield. Thoughts on it? Is there better?

2. The two demos of the phone at my local Sprint store seemed to have a very weak slide with the screen part being very easily wiggled. I suspect this is from everyone and their mother manhandling the phones, as a dummy phone of it at Radioshack doesn't have this problem, but i want to make sure that the end product itself is not so flimsy. So what's the deal?

3. Apps and the keyboard - do most apps support the Epic's keyboard?

4. GPS - Is the issue with the Galaxy S and GPS resolved now? I get lost, easily, especially going through unfamiliar areas or places I don't frequent often enough to know where I'm going. So I'm very reliant on GPS to keep me on track.

5. Other accessories - what other accessories would you recommend for the Epic? I'm a Premier customer so I am going to see if I can still get accessories at a discount, and if so, I'll grab what's good at the Sprint store while I'm there.

Edit: More questions in post #9.

Last edited:
1) Good luck. The problem with a keyboard is that sliders by their very nature are easier to damage. They also lack any truly solid cases. Try out swype, and if you think you can use it ( I know I could) then get something else, so you can get a solid case.

2) Zagg..... eh. I've used 2 of their products (1 for Epic, actually), don't care to again. They feel like crap, scratch easy, and cost too much to get replaced under warranty.

3) Emulators.... and anything that uses text. That's about it.

4) No. Some are good, some are bad, just like at launch.

5) Don't really have anything for you here.

1) I have one (Actually two) of the rubberized hard covers. Bulks it up a bit, but eliminates a lot of the slipperiness. The cover is better than previous phones hard covers, as all my previous ones have pretty much destroyed the finish on the phone. Not sure if this is because the finish is so much better on this phone or that the cover is better. I tried using a clear screen protector, but the kit I got (stealth somethingerother) the rear skin I went to put on first was so crappy feeling I never even bothered with the screen one. They are still laying on my desk.

2) My slider is fine, nice and tight. I use it probably 10% of the time I need to type though. You can feel a wiggle in it if you try, it is the best slider I have seen though except maybe the Sony (non keyboard) vertical sliders.

3) The only problem I have had with the keyboard(s) is that one of my banks apps will not let you input your password with the pop-up keyboard. Some sort of problem with the pop-up covering something on the screen and it immediately pops down again. You have to use the slide-out for password input. Other than that zero problems with any other app, any site so far.

4) First release GPS took 2-3 minutes to lock on occasion, and often was only accurate down to 500-1000 feet. After hotfix it is usually 10-45 seconds depending on location ad surrounding and is accurate to (guestimating) ~10-40 feet, based on road crossings etc.
The Sprint Nav is pretty nice, however if you are in a spotty area for GPS (HEAVILY lined highways with HUGE ASS trees, etc) it will constantly recalculate the route as it tries to determine what road you are on based on last reading. This has only happened to me on rt x64 through Virginia and rt 58 where it is just a wall of trees in some places.
The regular navigation app does not do this, however on more than one occasion it has stuck at "finding location" or something like that with no reason.... I can switch to Sprint Nav or 'Maps' and it knows where I am immediately.... problem with the app not the GPS. I haven't looked into any add-on nav apps yet as I do not travel much.

5) Unaware of any real accessories. I have the hard shell covers and I have a car charger (there are some official Sprint ones on ebay dirt cheap compared to Sprint stores), two usb chargers and one usb to AC adapter. Don't see anything else offered or that I need

1. What's good in the protect-your-phone world? I need next to bulletproof protection.

If you want bullet-proof, you want an otterbox. You can freaking DRIVE OVER the phone in one of these and it wont be hurt! (not to mention no water damage, etc) but they add a LOT of bulk and dep on the model can take some time to get open...

You might also try gettng one of the magnet ones and adding some Velcro to it (either between the flaps or even all the way around it!) Might take an extra second or two to open but the phone is less likely to fall out then.

Additional question to this topic - Zagg Invisible Shield. Thoughts on it? Is there better?

Not used this *brand* but I had the same type "case" on a netbook. They work but they look like hell after a week or two and they will crack easily (might obscure access to some ports too, on my netbook I couldn't use my VGA port because of the placement of the hole)

2. The two demos of the phone at my local Sprint store seemed to have a very weak slide with the screen part being very easily wiggled.

your store had an older demo model that's been played with a lot. while I didnt like the keyboard, I didnt have any problems with the slide mechanism.

3. Apps and the keyboard - do most apps support the Epic's keyboard?
4. GPS - Is the issue with the Galaxy S and GPS resolved now?

Cant help you here, I went with EVO over Epic, sorry...

5. Other accessories - what other accessories would you recommend for the Epic? I'm a Premier customer so I am going to see if I can still get accessories at a discount, and if so, I'll grab what's good at the Sprint store while I'm there.

Dont buy them in-store. You'll pay 5x the price you'll pay on eBay and get only marginally better quality (often NO better quality)

Unless you are where you have access to an AC outlet all day, I always recommend people get a 2nd and/or extended battery for smartphones. If your going to use 4G you REALLY need one, 4G *eats* batteries (unless your actively using it, I highly advise you to leave 4G off and let the phone check it's mail, updates, etc on 3G)

Usually I'd say a screen protector too, but that's an issue with resistive screens sometimes...

I do highly HIGHLY recommend the $7/month insurance plan. I've already used it twice and all I had to do was walk into the store (or call), tell them my phone wasnt working, and 24-48 hours later I had a replacement at NO CHARGE, they even offered to transferred my data free (tho the device was too broken to be able to --- since then I've started syncing it with Google Apps so I wont have to worry)

Lastly, Spare chargers. Those tiny micro-USB plugs can get bent easily (and the port can break too, take a little extra care when plugging/unplugging it) It's worth the time/effort to do the Palm TouchStone mod if you feel up to the soldering *really hates micro-USB connectors*.

Also on an Apps note: Torch (amazingly useful), Root WiFi Tether (if you plan to root your phone), K9 Mail (lot better than built-in app), SPC (Super Private Conversation) so you can blacklist calls/SMS and _never_ see them (not even a notification of them), DolphinHD (best browser out there, dont bother with FireFox Mobile yet, it still has LOTS of bugs and memory leaks), SetCPU/Overclock Widget (to under-clock the CPU when it's not in use) and, while it's still free, Angry Birds for when your waiting in long lines ;) If your into media check out Rock Player too, great all-around media player.

If you choose to root your phone, I recommend you try CyanogenMod ROM, they stripped out all the crap and made it run a LOT smoother though it may lack some features (as of 6.0 on the EVO, HDMI, 4G, and FM Radio dont work --- dont know about the Epic)

EDIT:
Also get Google Voice app and set up an account. You can use it as Voice-over-IP now to save your minutes and make free calls! (using Data or WiFi)

superbovine[/quote said:
3) The only problem I have had with the keyboard(s) is that one of my banks apps will not let you input your password with the pop-up keyboard. Some sort of problem with the pop-up covering something on the screen and it immediately pops down again. You have to use the slide-out for password input. Other than that zero problems with any other app, any site so far.

Not a bank app but a forum for me, I have this same problem on the EVO, it's a bug in the HTML (the OnFocus() tag I think) you *have* to use landscape for these.

+1 to all the above.

extra battery, extra chargers (car charger), otterbox cover, and an insurance plan are all necesary.

Not a bank app but a forum for me, I have this same problem on the EVO, it's a bug in the HTML (the OnFocus() tag I think) you *have* to use landscape for these.

Unfortunately for me, landscape doesn't work on my banks app unless the keyboard is open, so it's automatic slide out keyboard time... being able to do my banking with that bank (The one I use the most) is reason enough for me to have the slide out keyboard. I am glad to hear it is a problem on other sites as well and not just their app. Maybe there will be a fix during a revision at some point then.

+1 to all the above.
extra battery, extra chargers (car charger), otterbox cover, and an insurance plan are all necesary.

Snap, forgot that. I got a $69 one year insurance plan when I bought it too. Not sure how good it is, haven't broken anything yet but it makes me feel better having it.

If you want the Epic 4G... sprint charges a boatload more than amazon

Amazon has it for $99 bucks for new customers, sprint charges I think $350+you have to send in a 100 dollar rebate (so 250)..... save money and get more accessories ya need!

http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B003ZDO2H6?ie=UTF8&tag=signhtml-20&productidnum=B003ZDO2H6

Definitely recommended is the upgraded extra battery and case if you want to use a lot.... otterbox is good stuff, but you should check out cases for the Epic 4G and see which one fits your liking best.

Either way..... amazon has the Epic 4G much cheaper than Sprint.

OH, and the GPS works fine..... just youtube "epic 4g GPS" and watch the couple of video of it working flawlessly in a moving car. The only people who seem to complain are people standing inside (where you would never use a GPS)

If you want the Epic 4G... sprint charges a boatload more than amazon

OH, and the GPS works fine..... just youtube "epic 4g GPS" and watch the couple of video of it working flawlessly in a moving car. The only people who seem to complain are people standing inside (where you would never use a GPS)

For new customers also check Wirefly, I think they have it cheeper as well

o_O ...why the hell would use use a GPS indoors? if you need a GPS to get out of a building, you dont need an Epic, you need a can-on-a-string :p

Resurrecting this thread. I'm good on my $150 upgrade rebate now. BUT...I have some questions before I pull the trigger on this phone.

Amazon, Newegg, and Wirefly are offering this phone cheaper than Sprint. However I obviously cannot have this phone in my hands TODAY if I go with any of them. Amazon however does not have an upgrade option so I am SOL on using them. Newegg and Wirefly seem to have the same third party interface for getting a phone at $200 for upgrading (vs. $300 + tax before MIR at Sprint) and that makes me a bit wary. Do I have reason to be cautious?

Aside from that, what's the catch?

SECOND question: If I decide to go with getting it through Sprint, should I pull the trigger now or wait to see if there will be a Christmas/Holiday sale towards the end of the month? Is it likely that it will come near the $200 mark if they do?

Last edited:
There won't be a holiday sale at Sprint, that I can tell you for sure. Go to your Sprint store and give them the commission, then ask about putting an NVP discount on your plan. You'll save a LOT more money in the long run, and help out a rep who needs the money to buy christmas gifts this year.

Orrr... Save your upgrade and buy the Epic I'm selling. Perfect condition =)

My slider was not at tight as others are, if you would tap certain corners of the screen you could feel it kind of move the screen.

Go to your Sprint store and give them the commission, then ask about putting an NVP discount on your plan. You'll save a LOT more money in the long run, and help out a rep who needs the money to buy christmas gifts this year.

i'm a sucker for the new in box thing or else i'd take your offer.

however, what's this nvp discount you speak of? i'd be very interested since i'm paying for two lines and definitely looking to save where I can. (the other belongs to my gf)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Depending on what you do for a living, you get a discount on your Sprint bill. Talk it over with your local rep, there's tons of discounts out there.

Not aware of a Otterbox for the Epic yet, I'd love to have one though. I do have the Seido Active case and holster for mine, and the Sprint black rubberized case which is a bit slimmer and easier to carry in your pocket.

As for screen protectors I just use the pack that Sprint sells, it includes two anti-glare protectors and a privacy protector that makes it hard to view the screen from the sides by others.

I'm a repair tech for Sprint, and I've yet to see a Epic come back with a slider/keyboard issue. It's a fairly tough design, though the looseness of it may actually help with that. The screen by itself is very resistant to scratches, you would have to really gouge it with your keys to do so. Overall it's a good design and the casing actually has some metal in it, unlike most phones out there.

Any Sprint sales rep worth their salt is going to work hard to find you a discount, depending on who you work for or bank with or whatever.

Got my Epic at Best Buy. No MIR needed and was cheaper than the Sprint store. Think I paid $200. I also added BB's black tie warranty. Truth be told I had issues with Sprint's insurance. God forbid you even scratch your phone Sprint won't repair it under the insurance without paying $50 deductible, and if it needs to be replaced $100 deductible. I just went through this hell with my Blackberry and Sprint. Plastic covering the screen was slightly cracked, not the screen itself and they wouldn't touch it without making me pay $100 to replace the phone. Fuck Sprint and their insurance, read the fine print. They're nazi's if your phone has ANY physical damage to it. BB's black tie coverage guaranties me a new phone if something happens to it, and a loaner phone while I wait for my replacement or while my phone is being serviced. $10/month as opposed to Sprint's $7, but worth it for the "no questions asked" service.

As for my GPS it works flawlessly.

Only thing I recommend is the InvisiShield screen protector. It's $20 and guaranteed for life. If it ever get scratched or starts to peel off just email the company and they'll send you a brand new one in the mail with a return label for the old one.

I haven't found a decent case I like that doesn't add considerable size to the already large phone. YMMV

Yes, the GPS issues has been solved.... anyone who bought one recently can prove it.

Also, there is 2 or more video of the Epic GPS being shown... and working on youtube..... so 100% sure it works now, regardless of what any other idiot tells you, they're wrong as the videos themselves prove it as clear as glass. And nobody would waste time making a GPS video for a phone, so don't say its a shill

I also added BB's black tie warranty. Truth be told I had issues with Sprint's insurance. God forbid you even scratch your phone Sprint won't repair it under the insurance without paying $50 deductible, and if it needs to be replaced $100 deductible.

lol, you should have researched the insurance policy a bit more. Both BB's and Sprint's.

1)

Just an update on this, with the most recent 2.2 update (unofficial), the disappearing pop-up keyboard problem is no longer present... now the entire screen slides up (like the display becomes taller to accommodate the keyboard), and all works fine. Apparently that was a compatibility issue between 2.1/samsungs 2.1 and the app.
Not that I think it is likely any one else would be affected (PNC bank app), but worth noting it is correctable/will be corrected.

Back