Readers Crash Cambridge University Website Accessing Hawking's PhD Thesis

monkeymagick

[H]News
Cambridge University recently released the doctoral thesis of Stephen Hawking's entitled "Properties of expanding universes" for free on its website. Unfortunately, the University was ill-equipped to handle the traffic as readers crashed the website while attempting to access the publication. Written for his postgraduate work at the age of 24, the 134-page work is the most requested document in the University's library with the curious having to pay the equivalent of $85 to scan a copy or physically view it.

He added: "Anyone, anywhere in the world should have free, unhindered access to not just my research, but to the research of every great and enquiring mind across the spectrum of human understanding.

"It's wonderful to hear how many people have already shown an interest in downloading my thesis - hopefully they won't be disappointed now that they finally have access to it!"

No doubt one will feel smarter reading it, even if it doesn't make one smarter. Hats off to this man.

I'm glad the guy is still going strong, his books were fun to read even if the Quantum chapters were absolutely multiple re-reads.."Wait....Whut?". If you're into SCIENCE!, give the YouTube PBS channels like SpaceTime a watch, and prepare to feels the Muy Stupido. :)

I studied at Cambridge, and once I was sitting with a chum at the curry place by the Granta, when Hawking came past in his chair with his wife. We thought he was going to come in and have a vindaloo - but he carried on past. Still, I get an anecdote that I nearly had curry with Stephen Hawking.

Back