Read Only BluRay drive for PC, $159

LG Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM DVD-ROM: 16X Blu-ray DVD-ROM: 6X HD DVD-ROM: 3X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner - Retail

Longest product name ever!

LG Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM DVD-ROM: 16X Blu-ray DVD-ROM: 6X HD DVD-ROM: 3X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner - Retail

Longest product name ever!

Amazing product though. HD-DVDs are cheaper than DVDs during some firesales :D

that drive has dropped support for hd-dvd

Power dvd 8.0 dropped support for HD-dvd.

The drive ships with Powerdvd 7.0 oem. Once you download the necessary patches, it plays both HD formats fine.... (well, as fine as Powerdvd does... <cough>) fancier ($$) versions of 7 have better sound support.

Powerdvd 8 (which is also more $$) dropped hd-dvd and offers reportedly slightly better blu-ray and standard dvd playback. So if you are interested in these improvements you have to run both versions... <sigh>

There are rumors of a bigger version of 8 coming that adds HD back in, but who knows...

Finally, some people avoid the issue entirely and just run something else... Nero, TotalMedia Theater, etc for examples.

-------------

I'll be picking up the LG drive myself, soon as the tax return hits the checking account...

How does blue-ray dmr work on pc drives? Does your video card have to have hdmi ?

How does blue-ray dmr work on pc drives? Does your video card have to have hdmi ?

You need to have an HDCP compliant connection, either over DVI or HDMI. Monitor & video card have to support it.

You need to have an HDCP compliant connection, either over DVI or HDMI. Monitor & video card have to support it.

Or just use AnyDVD like me :D

Soyo 24" and an 8800 GTS 320 (which is HDCP compliant I think)... HD-DVDs would freeze after 3 seconds until I got AnyDVD...

These are some Lite-On read only drive for cheap prices. Most of us already have regular DVD-Burners so these are for those that want BD playback.

$140

$130

So I have an 8800GTS (512MB) which is fairly new so I presume iti s HDCP compliant. If I put an HDMI adapter on it (which oddly was not a standard output on the 8800GTS) will it work with the current generation of LCD tvs (which sadly do not have dvi connectors) or will the conversion process break the drm ?

PowerDVD Ultra will allow playback on a monitor with just VGA connection, you just don't get a hi-def picture.

Power dvd 8.0 dropped support for HD-dvd.

The drive ships with Powerdvd 7.0 oem. Once you download the necessary patches, it plays both HD formats fine.... (well, as fine as Powerdvd does... <cough>) fancier ($$) versions of 7 have better sound support.

Powerdvd 8 (which is also more $$) dropped hd-dvd and offers reportedly slightly better blu-ray and standard dvd playback. So if you are interested in these improvements you have to run both versions... <sigh>

There are rumors of a bigger version of 8 coming that adds HD back in, but who knows...

Finally, some people avoid the issue entirely and just run something else... Nero, TotalMedia Theater, etc for examples.

-------------

I'll be picking up the LG drive myself, soon as the tax return hits the checking account...
I have no idea what you're talking about, and that is the exact reason I haven't jumped on one of these drives for my HTPC yet.

Once I can play HD discs in Windows via the Media Center interface, then I'll bite.

You sure? I have Power DVD 8 Ultra and have been watching HD-DVD content for weeks.

Well, this is right from cyberlink, faq for Powerdvd 8... note that throughout their web pages they now refer to Powerdvd 7 without the version number and simply call it "Powerdvd Ultra":

"Does PowerDVD 8 support HD DVD playback?

No, PowerDVD 8 does not support HD DVD playback. However, PowerDVD 8 can coexist with previous versions of PowerDVD. If you want to watch HD DVDs, you can use PowerDVD Ultra."
quoted from: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/support/answerbox_productfaq.jsp?FID=5757&nProdId=1&nProdVerId=214

Also, note that they don't have links to download or purchase "powerdvd ultra" anymore on thier download and store pages, just links to updates and the user guide... so they apparently are really trying hard to kill off supporting hd-dvd.

-When you upgrade to 8, 7 does not get overwritten, they get installed side by side.

-There is a work-around out there to enable hd-dvd support in 8 if people hunt it down... but its risky as any updates from cyberlink might break the work-around....

which bluray roms get the fastest firmware updates? I don't want to be left with newly purchased movies I can't watch, while waiting for updates.

Can you grab still frames and sound clips using PowerDVD (for personal use, not piracy) using these drives?

powerdvdultra.jpg

No, PowerDVD 8 does not support HD DVD playback..

Their FAQ might be out of date, I can assure you it works fine as you can see and it is version PowerDVD 8 Ultra at the time of purchase,

I'm just relaying what is running on my computer.

Their FAQ might be out of date, I can assure you it works fine as you can see and it is version PowerDVD 8 Ultra at the time of purchase,

I'm just relaying what is running on my computer.

That's a screenshot of PowerDVD 7, not 8. PowerDVD 8 does not support HD-DVD playback, but someone in the SlySoft forums figured out a hack to make it work.

which bluray roms get the fastest firmware updates? I don't want to be left with newly purchased movies I can't watch, while waiting for updates.

It is true that the PS3 gets the fastest, and all of the, updates, but all Blu-Ray players can play all Blu-Ray discs (except that buggy Samsung.) They're backwards compatible. The only thing you miss out on is extra features.

That's a screenshot of PowerDVD 7, not 8. PowerDVD 8 does not support HD-DVD playback, but someone in the SlySoft forums figured out a hack to make it work.

You might be right- Looking at the exe properties it lists 7.03.3104 as the version.

Really nice.

Back