RE4 "house brand" drives.. any good?

Cobalt2112

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Guys,

My current ZFS system is already a few years old and comprises of 3 2TB Hitachi drives.

One of the drives,about every 15 minutes keeps doing a thermal recalibrate (I can hear the ar reseting)

I was thinking of rebuilding the whole setup using 4TB drives and in looking, I came across these... Should I be worried about the "house brand-Similar to WD4000FYYZ, but only half price!" ?

http://www.goharddrive.com/White-Label-4TB-64MB-Cache-SATA3-3-5-Hard-Drive-p/g01-0661.htm

Are RE4 drives any better than Seagate Desktop "ST4000DM000" drives when used on ZFS (FreeNAS) or Synology ?

PS: Same guys on eBay selling: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RE4-4TB...ade-SATA-6-0Gb-s-3-5-Hard-Drive-/160970197779

I worry about quality(wont die in a year) and warranty(expires right before drive dies). Price is a next consideration.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks to be identical to the WD4000FYYZ but then i wonder why it says similar? Dam fine price though, I would love to get 8 of them for my Diskstation. Anyone know what's a white label? I've never even seen that before.

Last edited:
I'm thinking "white label" means rebadged, de-branded or brown boxed--I guess NOT OEM'ed. Innards are for example Western Digital, but new label doesn't say that.

Looks to be identical to the WD4000FYYZ but then i wonder why it says similar? Dam fine price though, I would love to get 8 of them for my Diskstation. Anyone know what's a white label? I've never even seen that before.

The first thing to find out is their definition of "Enterprise Grade". Does it have TLER an an URE count of <1 in 10^15 (or WD's new <10 in 10^16, which sounds better in the specs but is just actually just the former).
My guess is the answer to both is no, and for about $40 more a drive you can get retail, NAS qualified drives with 3 year warranties *as opposed to the 1 year you get with the no-names)

Back