Re-seat or lap?

theTIK

Gawd
Do I need to re-seat or lap before before overclocking?

Here is my speedfan core temps with the cpu at stock speed under full load in p95:

Core0:62C
Core1:62C
Core2:57C
Core3:57C

That seems really hot to me for stock speeds, even though it's at full load. I don't have all of the fans at full speeds but still. Increase the fan speeds only drops the temps by 2-3C. Also my computer broke before I had to leave town for a few months, so I took it apart before leaving, the heatsink was off the computer just sitting there for a few months. When I got back into town and fixed my computer I cleaned the heatsink with alcohol. However, I couldn't find anything higher then 70% in town so I just used that, I used coffee filters also to wipe it since I didn't have any microfiber cloths. I heard the coffee filters are fine but I think I am going to order 99% alcohol online and some microfiber just to be safe and reseat.

I was wondering though if I should lap it because it was just sitting there all that time or will a proper cleaning be enough? I was going to start overclocking but not when the temps are like this stock. The system is in my sig.

that is running hot dude. I Idle 36,33,30,30

Edit: NVM i see your under full load. I thought those were Idle temps. I lapped my TRUE. It wouldn't hurt to and its a quick easy job.

Check both the CPU and the heat spreader on the heat sink for flatness. You can use any straightedge known to be very straight - a razor blade isn't bad, though tool shops near you might have an inexpensive reference block or edge.

If they are both quite flat, lapping won't help. If only one is not flat, lap that one; lapping the flat one would be pointless. If either surface is flat but rough, smoothing it by lapping may help.

Those temps suggest you do have a problem either with the seating, compound application or flatness. Checking flatness can help isolate the problem.

Don't worry too much about having microfibre cleaning fabric. Unless you are trying to polish to a mirror to sub-wavelength smoothness, a soft paper towel or bit of toilet paper will do just fine. After all, you aren't polishing with anything finer than 2000 grit, are you?

use realtemp to get the most accurate temps. Pretty much every other program is high. speedfan for me was 10 over what real temp said, and real temp is pretty close to what bios said..

use realtemp to get the most accurate temps. Pretty much every other program is high. speedfan for me was 10 over what real temp said, and real temp is pretty close to what bios said..

He has a Q6600, which doesn't suffer from the Tjmax misread that the 45nm C2s do. Real Temp would read the same.

Be sure to check how you apply the thermal paste, less can be more when it comes to better temps.

Back