RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

iansilv said:
but would a raid card based on pci-e be just as good? ARe there any disadvatages to picking pci-e as the server motherboard exapnsion architecture over pci-x?

PCI-e is the future of that stuff. All of the servers I am testing use loaded with PCI-e slots and have 1 'legacy' PCI-X slot.

Keith

Very nice.

If you're rich you might as well dedicate this server to photos or whatever else you're using it for and get yourself a Kaleidescape system for movies though. ;)

Majin said:
That really did turn out nice!!!

Its not done yet. Still have to rebuild the lid. The machine has been running "topless" for the last few weeks waiting for me to sneak in some time to work on it.

lame said:
Very nice.

If you're rich you might as well dedicate this server to photos or whatever else you're using it for and get yourself a Kaleidescape system for movies though. ;)

There is a big difference between being well compensated for your efforts and rich. :p

This machine does exactly what I need it to do with power to spare.

any more feedback on the HDD temps? I am looking at the same type of mounting for a server that I am building but am nervous about the HDD temps.

oh i love the rack idea ima steal that :)

looks awesome your my idol this is exactly what my opty 10 pc is goign to become when its obsolete as im working on it no for a server.

when i do end up replacing it. it will be my media tv etc server :D

thanks for poinging out that saata card. dunno if i need it jsut yet but if i do i think im going to shoot for 12 hdd's in a soprano case :O

Very nice work Rage i saw your worklog t'night and sent the link across MSN to various pc freak buddies and we've been shattering our jaws ever since :D

Well, I had a bit of a scare last night. When I was going to bed, I heard the cpu fans running hard and stopped to check why. When I opened the case, I found the drive tower running hot! It was late so I just shut it down. This morning I discovered the cause - seems the front filter was completely clogged with cat hair and absolutely no air was getting at the drives. Pretty scary - may need a larger case after all :(

Try cutting come of the rings out of the fangrills (giving a little more airflow, not allowing cathair to build up as much.) I don't know if your tower is on the ground/carpet but if it is that is a major source of dust/hair, try moving it onto a desk or something (unless its already off the ground)

PS-RagE said:
Well, I had a bit of a scare last night. When I was going to bed, I heard the cpu fans running hard and stopped to check why. When I opened the case, I found the drive tower running hot! It was late so I just shut it down. This morning I discovered the cause - seems the front filter was completely clogged with cat hair and absolutely no air was getting at the drives. Pretty scary - may need a larger case after all :(

The simple fix is to kill the cat. The more human fix is to shave it. I'd just make a point of interest to check the filters each month or so.

Put the system in a large air filter housing :D

Buy a large snake to eat the cat, and change the air filters a few times. The hair will be filtered out,and the snake will eat anyother cats that show up to clog your air filters.

Looking at all of this has made me think about my own computer. I think I'm going to start small with a RAID 1 array of two drives, so would it be better to use racks like what you started out with, or something like this to leave room for future expansion? Or should I skip out on racks?

Sorry for the derail. Awesome setup, though.

I've decided for now to change out the front intakes for higher cfm models and to drill out the holes in the door. The case sits up off the floor so it is free flying pussy-cat hair. Obviously, I am going to have to keep a closer eye on the filter

PS-RagE said:
Once again I cut off all the existing molex and SATA connecters - this time soldering in my "spine" from the Tt:

[ig]http://www.houseofrage.com/images/newservr59.jpg[/img]

So here we have it again:

[im]http://www.houseofrage.com/images/newservr60.jpg[/img]

High res version

[mg]http://www.houseofrage.com/images/newservr62.jpg[/img]

newservr61.jpg

Next up is moving that top blowhole forward a few inches. Still haven't quite decided how I want to go about that yet.

mother of god...

Can you do some benchies on those Xeons? Im dying to know how they perform :D

well...this is uber baclk from teh dead, but I want to see pics of the top finished etc.

Once again I cut off all the existing molex and SATA connecters - this time soldering in my "spine" from the Tt:

newservr59.jpg

So here we have it again:

newservr60.jpg

[/COLOR]

very clean setup, kind of supprised that you did not go with right angle SATA cables, might clean it up some, but when you are running 12 of them, that might not be a viable sollution.

well...this is uber baclk from teh dead, but I want to see pics of the top finished etc.

It is still "topless" - been a busy year. I didn't like the first top and haven't had time to try another yet.

I've discovered my earlier posts from two years ago, you must give us an update! :p

So at some point during the summer a drive died. I just happened to look at 3DM disk management one day and noticed a drive had dropped out of the array. Oops - how long has that been like that? It was, of course, inevitible but hey, RAID5 with hot spare so no worries.

I ordered a replacement drive.

While I was waiting for it to come in another drive died. So, I ordered a replacement for it as well so I could change them both at the same time since I knew damned well that it was not going to be just a simple operation.

This should have been the cue that it is time to power down the server so it can be repaired (duh). But no, I kept it running cause it is in use all the time.

Well, one day, the System Administrator decided that he needed to transfer some files to the degraded array. The partitions are set to Read Only so the user permissions have to be changed for the partition.

Ya know, I'd fire that guy if he wasn't so damned good looking.

Wouldn't you know it - the server crashed while the permissions were being changed. Geez, maybe I should take it offline now and drag down to the shop to repair.

Get it to the shop and sure enough the entire F partition is missing (2T partition about half full). Doh. Power it down and wait for the drive to come in. Hopefully, the data can be recovered.

About a week later, the drive finally comes in. I swap them out and boot up expecting to see a rebuild message. Nope - the RAID card only sees the two new drives and none of the old ones - incomplete array. So I call 3Ware. They had a fibre cut and had intermittent phone operation so I lost the tech in the middle of the call.

Did I mention that while I’m working on this I have the fans disconnected? The stack get mighty warm with no air blowing at it.

So while working on it a third drive failed.

That flushing sound was the sound of 3T of data going bye, bye.

The photos are backed up in two other locations - no loss.

The music is a copy of the master that resides on my workstation - no loss.

The movies though ....... far too much data to back up - poof. It would appear I have a lot of re-ripping to do.

Ouch... I lost about 2tb of data over the summer, the linux drivers for the cards I'm using kind of suck, so it kept dropping disks it shouldn't have, and rebuilding the raid5 - eventually that corrupted everything :/

Turns out one controller was flaky as well, have to RMA that still...

Losing a raid5 really sucks, it gives you a false sense of security :/ Good luck getting the data back together.

Ow. Those posts hurt to read. Depending on how many you have, maybe you can automate the process somewhat with a DVD Autoloader.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Obviously, stacking 12 hardrives one atop the other ain't gonna work.

I'm done screwing around with this. I called up my supplier and raised his eyebrows when I told him what to order for me.

It came in today:

newservr63.jpg

newservr64.jpg

Chenbro is a great case company, I can't wait to see which case you decided to go with.

Personally I own the Chenbro SR10769.

Damn man, sorry about the loss. I demand more pix of that case though! :eek::p

I think I have an idea of what you have ordered but am waiting to see pics of it unboxed. This should be interesting.

Reading through this thread sure shows how fast things change over the years.

You should see if you can beat Ockie's Galaxy 4.0, so he might feel the need to retaliate and I get endless logs to scroll through and drool at :D

Good God, that was the last nightmare, i wanted to read about, ie a raid 5 array failing completely... I had a drive fail in my raid 5 two months ago, (I do not run with a hot spare, I should but you know how it goes) it was failed for at least a week, before I saw it... Now I leave the Management Console open 24/7 and login to the server at least 1 a week....

PS, Please post the specs and pictures of the big*ss case!!!!

Once I get it rebuilt, I am going to configure the RAID card to email me if anything happens. I never saw the purpose in that before but I do now.

I still haven't opened the big box yet. Hopefully get a bit of time this afternoon.

Back