RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

jrweis said:
I'm using an Addtronics #ET7890A server case with dual power supplies (redundant ps capable) This thing has 7 exposed 5 1/4 drive bays, 1-3 1/2 exposed, & 3-internal 3 1/2 slots. If you used a pair of those 5 in 3 drive cages along with two of the internals you would have space for all 12 of your drives, the DVD drive, and dual power supplies. It has 1-6cm fan(rear), 6-8cm fans(2 front[plan to swap these to 12cm soon to cut noise] & 2 each side), & I added 1-12cm blow hole so cooling would be no problem either. This case is rugged as hell and takes all kinds of abuse. Bought mine in 1998 ($165) and have used it for many builds/rebuilds.

Heh, something like this?

03unmod.JPG

No PS-RagE.. that is a SuperMicro Case. I have that running my Dual P3 450 Webserver I put together from spare parts. LOL it used to be my Desktop Case before that.

I know. But SuperMicro had them built for them by Addtronics - they are the same. That is my desktop case, BTW ;)

PS-RagE said:
I'm letting it burn in for now and once I'm convinced it works OK, I'm going to just cut into it like I did the Thermaltake.

Rage, Check the PS forum to verify this, but i read somewhere that PCP&C are not so picky about waranty. If you call them, they may actually give you some advice on the best way to mod the Power Supply AND let you keep the waranty.

Just a small note, at max draw that PS will be pulling something like 8.5 amps. I hope you have very little else on your power circuit that thing is plugging into. If it goes near a home entertainment system, you could very easily blow the breaker watching some movie like Star Wars at high volume that is being streaming from the server.

I put a separate 20 amp, isolated ground circuit just for my servers to avoid any such problems.

Jeremy
no fancy quotes.

PS-RagE said:
Thanks

1) The two big partitions is fine. I'm keeping the movies in one and the other is for everything else including the music and photographs (a single compressed NEF is 10M and a TIF is 50M+ so those add up pretty fast too)

2) Cool!

10mb nef? what are you shooting with? (only thing I know with that big of a compNEF is d200 or d2x)

Very cool server indeed, hope to have something like that someday

TekieB said:
10mb nef? what are you shooting with? (only thing I know with that big of a compNEF is d200 or d2x)

Very cool server indeed, hope to have something like that someday

Yes, D2X

DaCoOlNeSs said:
when I shoot with my bosses D2X sometimes the NEFs are like 20MB :/

turn on compressed, it literally cuts the size in half, thats what I started shooting with a d70 vs d100

TekieB said:
turn on compressed, it literally cuts the size in half, thats what I started shooting with a d70 vs d100
that would do it.

no matter to us though, we have a server with 1.5TB just for his cameras.

Sweet Jesus Ockie. Kind of expensive per gig though, eh? Wouldn't it have been significantly cheaper just to build 2 servers? Of course that wouldn't get you the e-penis that a 10tb server does.

If i only had the money to do this, jesus how much was the project in total as of now if you dont mind me asking?

Posted by PS-RagE
(But SuperMicro had them built for them by Addtronics - they are the same. That is my desktop case, BTW )

The case you showed a picture of is equal to the Addtronics # ET6890A case not the #ET7890A case. Yours only has six external 5 1/4" drive bays instead of seven and the 7890 has a dual 3 1/2 internal bracket mounted approximately where the CPU fan is located in your case as well as a backplane for dual power supplies.

I would post a picture of my case if someone would tell me how to insert a picture into a reply. Dammed if I can figure it out.

Crimson Tear said:
Sweet Jesus Ockie. Kind of expensive per gig though, eh? Wouldn't it have been significantly cheaper just to build 2 servers? Of course that wouldn't get you the e-penis that a 10tb server does.

Meh I'm driven by drive technologies. The prices of the 500's has been dropping to the point where it can be doable.

I'm just like rage... you can never have enough :)

Oh and PS: Neptune has been completed, it's my fall back server, not as impressive, featuring around 3tb's of storage :) I will post pictures someday... I'm not much of a picture person, I have a nice camera that spends more time on the desk than in my hands.

To Rage - Nice job on the cabling... no way in balls I'd cut a $400 psu like that :eek: My biggest problem is that I'm always adding or upgrading somewhere so that would insane to specialize a psu like that.

jrweis said:
I would post a picture of my case if someone would tell me how to insert a picture into a reply. Dammed if I can figure it out.
[ img ]http://www.website.com/directory/picture.jpg[ /img ]

Take out the spaces

(and start your own thread)

Ozone77 said:
Rage, Check the PS forum to verify this, but i read somewhere that PCP&C are not so picky about waranty. If you call them, they may actually give you some advice on the best way to mod the Power Supply AND let you keep the waranty.

I think that this is indeed correct. TopNurse mentioned this as well, and I do know from personal experience that if you wanted you could even call them up and have your PSU custom wired by them. Only downside is that on custonm wire jobs you can't return it for a refund. They will, however do whatever they can to help you out with that wiring if you need it. Ran into the need when replacing the power supply on a Dell Workstation.

uzor said:
I think that this is indeed correct. TopNurse mentioned this as well, and I do know from personal experience that if you wanted you could even call them up and have your PSU custom wired by them. Only downside is that on custonm wire jobs you can't return it for a refund. They will, however do whatever they can to help you out with that wiring if you need it. Ran into the need when replacing the power supply on a Dell Workstation.

Well when you pay that much for their products they ought to give you a warm breakfast and a free air ticket so you can come and see your psu being modded.

Rage,

I checked out your site...holy crap you have a serious camera and gear!! Awesome photos too man. I love the insect ones the best. Very,very cool.

And the mega pr0n storage tower you're working on is sweet! :p

Well, three weeks is a long enough burn in for me so back at it.

First job for tonight was to cover up those front intakes. They've bitten me a couple times now and I really don't want the pussy-cat getting her nose in there:

newservr57.jpg

As you can see, I've already started the snipping.

I've cut the "spine" off the Thermaltake:

newservr58.jpg

Now I just have to fuse it to the PCP&C.

Woo, nothing like major surgery :D
Looks good so far, keep up the good work, dude

Once again I cut off all the existing molex and SATA connecters - this time soldering in my "spine" from the Tt:

newservr59.jpg

So here we have it again:

newservr60.jpg

High res version

newservr62.jpg

newservr61.jpg

Next up is moving that top blowhole forward a few inches. Still haven't quite decided how I want to go about that yet.

One word
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

question about the motherboard.... what goes into that foxcon connector just under your raid card??? i was thinking its for SLI, but something tells me thats not it...

thore

BoySetsFire said:
how's the rig working out, daily usage-wise? good speed and noise levels?

It is quiet. Not as silent as I originally thought but certainly reasonable. As for speed, this machine has two purposes: to rip DVDs and then stream them over the network. It can do both simulaneously. In fact, for its purposes, I haven't found a bottleneck yet. One thing I am really impressed with is how fast it fires up. I'm used to RAID arrays that take for ever to initialize but this machine boots up as fast as my notebook!

That some nice wireing m8. Nice. I love it so much. Since you are a pro, what kinda specs should I look when making a gaming server. If its dedicated should the GFX card matter. Memory is number in my books for gamin server what abouth the CPU and Hds?

why did you choose pci-x instead of pci-e? Can you find a reliable server motherboard with pci-e?

marquee said:
That some nice wireing m8. Nice. I love it so much. Since you are a pro, what kinda specs should I look when making a gaming server. If its dedicated should the GFX card matter. Memory is number in my books for gamin server what abouth the CPU and Hds?

i would also like to know this. if i wanted to make a good gaming server for general purpose lan usage and goo speed. i would say a low end vid and no audio etc would be fine. wut would i want for ram.. hdd. cpu etc to make it worthy?

:)

marquee said:

paradoxblue said:
i would also like to know this. if i wanted to make a good gaming server for general purpose lan usage and goo speed. i would say a low end vid and no audio etc would be fine. wut would i want for ram.. hdd. cpu etc to make it worthy?

You guys would be better off asking either someone who does this for a living or who already runs a similar gaming server - I am neither

iansilv said:
why did you choose pci-x instead of pci-e? Can you find a reliable server motherboard with pci-e?

PCI-X was the required spec for the RAID card.

but would a raid card based on pci-e be just as good? ARe there any disadvatages to picking pci-e as the server motherboard exapnsion architecture over pci-x?

Back