RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

On the subject of Power, you will need 2A on +12 for each drive on spin up, or staggered spin up support on your 3Ware card. Operating draws are right at 1A on +12 during a full bore seek test. The +5 draw of HDDs is pretty much negligible.

I've already got a 680W supply. I am going to set the array for a staggered spin-up however.

Awesome. I do have one question though... That's a lot of drives placed really close together. Are you worried about heat at all? Seems like those things would practically catch on fire.

Thats simply an enormus amount of space (Largest amount ive ever seen in one case anyway). Damn, you have lots of money!! Something I wish I could have :( , not enough to even build a decent gaming rig. Looking good though! Hope it works out! /subscribed.

So what's the build total so far? Just for the new stuff. And how does somebody in Timmons make that much money?;)

RS3RS said:
Awesome. I do have one question though... That's a lot of drives placed really close together. Are you worried about heat at all? Seems like those things would practically catch on fire.
The drives dissipate about 12 watts each when operating under full bore seek conditions. At idle, they do a much better ~8 watts. Obviously, Rage is going to need fans, as he's looking at a minimum of 96 watts, as much as 144, for those drives. However, as long as he provides them airflow, I don't foresee them wandering into dangerous thermal territory. Heck, a single 92mm Panaflo @ 7V is enough to keep my WD2500KS under 30C at all times. 3x 120mm fans, while loud, will be more than enough cooling horsepower to keep those drives under 40C and within acceptable thermal levels.

DougLite said:
The drives dissipate about 12 watts each when operating under full bore seek conditions. At idle, they do a much better ~8 watts. Obviously, Rage is going to need fans, as he's looking at a minimum of 96 watts, as much as 144, for those drives. However, as long as he provides them airflow, I don't foresee them wandering into dangerous thermal territory. Heck, a single 92mm Panaflo @ 7V is enough to keep my WD2500KS under 30C at all times. 3x 120mm fans, while loud, will be more than enough cooling horsepower to keep those drives under 40C and within acceptable thermal levels.

I guess they wouldn't make that much heat, the thing that worried me was just that there isn't much exposed surface area for each drive. Since they're practically touching, the only air flow over most of the drives seems like it would only be on the 4 sides, and none on the top/bottom.

If your computer gets stolen, it wasnt me.

But wow, that thing is insane. I want to set up a server ,but yours puts my plan to shame. 4.2tb of space.. 1 of those drives would be enough for me.

4.8TB, actually ;)

Anyhow, I have to fit the new power supply into the case. As you may recall, this case originally came with a unusual-shaped dual redundant unit (one that was too weak for a modern machine).

newservr21.jpg

The "wings" I had originally made for the Enermax will not fit on this one so I am going to have to fabricate another. As usual, my material of choice is a metal shelf.

First, I make a paper pattern and then once convinced the fit is ok, trace it out onto the metal.

newservr20.jpg

The pattern is jigsawed out and hammered and ground into the correct shape. Here it is with the wings from the previous mod. This time, I included some extra support underneath.

newservr22.jpg

As Douglite noticed, some airflow over those drives is going to be required. Indeed they are packed a little tighter than I originally anticipated with only a couple milimeters between them. However, the front of this case is completely open. Hmmm..... nothing a little shelf can't fix..... :p

newservr23.jpg

The piece was carefully measured and then beat into submission.

newservr24.jpg

newservr25.jpg

Now that I have the correct shape, I can cut my blowholes using the tried and true "X" method. This time I drove screws into the mounting holes to hold the piece in place while drilling. Shame I never thought of that before.

newservr26.jpg

Finally, grooves are ground into it to fit around the 3.5" drive adapters and some holes are drilled for mounting.

Both brackets are painted and left to dry overnight.

newservr27.jpg

newservr28.jpg

.... and that is a night. Time for supper

RS3RS said:
I guess they wouldn't make that much heat, the thing that worried me was just that there isn't much exposed surface area for each drive. Since they're practically touching, the only air flow over most of the drives seems like it would only be on the 4 sides, and none on the top/bottom.

IIRC, most of the heat coming from a hard drive is dissipated from the sides.

Man that is alot of Pr0n..... j/k. I like that method of mounting drives. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

apparently the subscriptions run out after a long enough time... anyways, /subscribed (again)

that is a lot of disk space. i don't know how you plan to expand the array, though... regardless of whether the card supports it, i don't think the case will. :p

what PSU is that, btw?

Two years ago 1 terabyte seemed like more space than I'd ever need too!

The card itself will not allow for further expansion but it will allow others like it to be introduced into the system. The SuperTrac didn't like to play with anything else.

When I do have to expand the storage, it will be have to be external.

The PSU is a 680W Thermaltake

PS-RagE said:
Two years ago 1 terabyte seemed like more space than I'd ever need too!

The card itself will not allow for further expansion but it will allow others like it to be introduced into the system. The SuperTrac didn't like to play with anything else.

When I do have to expand the storage, it will be have to be external.

The PSU is a 680W Thermaltake
:eek:

Subscribed :D

Nice choice on the drives, and, well, at least the 3ware is compatible with everything.

Time to get started. I've assembled the parts and installed them.

newservr29.jpg

newservr30.jpg

newservr31.jpg

I'm hoping to get all the wiring done tonight.

Those fans look friggin' sweet. Although isnt that a lot of blockage at the back end 80mms? Looks pretty restricted.

I'm not going to bother this time. The majority of the exhaust is taken care of by the top blowhole.

Holy Kajolee! 1KW *drool*.........wait wait, who needs that much power? 40+ HDDs? Quad CPU AMD X2's? :p Im sure PS-RaGe dosnt need that much for his setup ;) . Unless of course PS, you plan to expand ;)

Pfft, it's only spec'd for 66A on the 12v lines. Take out maybe 10 for the CPU(s), and that's only 28 hard drives. For 100, you need external enclosures and staggered spinup isn't a bad idea either.

Holy crap, that is alot of storage!
I wish I had a beast of a server like that :)
Are you still going to be using the old 200 gig drives in this server also?

Tonight, I got all the power wiring done.

First, I eliminated the adapter and shortened the cable run for the P4 connection:

newservr33.jpg

newservr34.jpg

Then cut off the existing connecters and all of this crap:

newservr32.jpg

Last week, I had bought a bag of right angle SATA power connecters from ADPmods. Great service BTW. Had the parts overnight.

newservr35.jpg

Here is the power buss:

newservr36.jpg

Hmmm, lots of detail lost there. Click here for lifesize

And the internals as it stands now:

newservr37.jpg

Tomorrow, I will add the RAID card, complete the wiring and install the HSFs. Still hoping to have this complete before the holidays

Awesome dude! I am definitely subscribed to this!

Any chance you want to move within wireless range and give me some FTP access?

BTW...why didn't you go with a Supermicro or Tyan board?

Muttsta said:
Holy crap, that is alot of storage!
I wish I had a beast of a server like that :)
Are you still going to be using the old 200 gig drives in this server also?

Nope, they are going to be used for other projects

As for cooling the hard drives, your mounting scheme gave me an idea.

Since the harddrives can discipate most of the heat through the sides you could make two large aluminum heatsink/mounting adaptors made to fit inbetween 3.5in drives and a 5 1/4 drive bays with some long squirrel cage fans moving air across them from front to back of the drives.

Something like this probably already exists, but it seems like a perfect accessory for a CM Stacker style case being used for a super high capacity storage server

That is one of the cleanest power cabling jobs I've ever seen. Kind of odd when you consider how many drives are in the beast to. Great job on the power bus. like wow.

Ub312g0d654 said:
That is one of the cleanest power cabling jobs I've ever seen. Kind of odd when you consider how many drives are in the beast to. Great job on the power bus. like wow.

Just wait till he adds the sata data cables. That will be the hard part. Although he didn't cut out the grills on the back(which he should) it is turning out good so far. I would also say paint it just because that is the [H]ard thing to do.

Very impressive, I'm really gonna have to use that cabeling technique some time.

Given the amount of hard drives you are placing into this sytem, I think you've got a major headstart on wire management =D. keep up the good work!

I hope that the exterior of this case is going to have the same level of detail that you're putting into the interior. Isn't it...?

Do you plan to do benchmarks with the disk array? I'm planning to set up quite a large array for a project I'm planning using the WD4000YRs. Five 400gb disks in raid 5 array (although I might put a sixth one in and just use a CF device to boot).

It looks good, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Back