RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Worklogs' started by PS-RagE, Jan 14, 2004.

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE [H]ardness Supreme

WHAT??? Molson is as Canadian as it gets bud. (damned yanks....grumble, grumble)

2. kronchev

kronchev [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeh yeh it's from Canada I know...but all the Canadians I know (you seem to be the first exception) don't like it.

I like Labatt more anyway. Maybe thats just me being a yank, but all my Canadian friends consider me an "honourary Canadian" anyway :D

3. mrgstiffler

mrgstiffler [H]ardForum Junkie

mmm Labatt Blue. I do love the Canadians for that...

4. PS-RagE

All this talk of "uptime" has me curious now. You guys reboot your servers periodically? How come? I didn't ever plan to shut this one or my HTPC off.

5. Veeb0rg

Veeb0rg 2[H]4U

win2k mail server : \\SERVER001 has been up for: 76 day(s), 9 hour(s), 57 minute(s), 38 second(s)
    Linux webserver : 20:47:33 up 13 days, 12:06, 1 user, load average: 0.33, 0.29, 0.19*assembing my rack*
    Linux Fileserver : 20:14:41 up 18 days, 9:09, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00 *lan party also folding*

I've had linux servers up at 200+ days before. *stupid power failure*

i find that once their setup and running, very little is needed to maintain.

6. codeflux

codeflux 2[H]4U

i wouldn't worry about it - my htpc has been up for about a month (although i do reboot my desktop more frequently). if you are not "messing with it", you can get away with not rebooting it very often. you're putting it behind a ups, though, right? :D

7. CrimandEvil

CrimandEvil Dick with a heart of gold

That's pretty cool man.

8. rogue_jedi

rogue_jedi [H]ardness Supreme

i heard somewhere that windows boxes have a 57 day uptime limit or something around there (counter overflow) but it either a) has been fixed in recent versions or b) never existed at all.

my server gets shut off every once in a while (6 times or so in the past year) because of thunderstorms, long vacations, or hardware upgrades/downgrades (only the video card gets downgraded, it's a s3 something or other now i believe)

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief Staff Member

my servers are at 15 days but thats because i just upgraded the kernels 15 days ago.

10. FLECOM

FLECOM Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar Staff Member

i usually go down for hardware upgrades and such

all my servers are on APC SmartUPS' :D

11. kronchev

kronchev [H]ardForum Junkie

rogue: thats a damn lie.

I only reboot or shutdown when I do something drastic to the system. And by drastic I mean plug in PCI cards. Ive hot-swapped harddrives before, its a pain, gotta remove from device manager, take out old, put new in, then "Find New Hardware", but it can be done. Just as long as it doesnt try to read from the missing drive...then theres big problems.

But yeh, I havent crashed due to non hardware problems in years. I havent shut down willingly in about as long.

12. Alexia

Alexia Limp Gawd

BS. :eek: It never existed at all. I've had my old Windows 95 machine up for six months for the longest period.

13. rally9x

rally9x [H]ard|Gawd

One of my friends (now 21) worked in a school since he was in about 8th grade and he had a lab with Windows 95 machines with over 3 years uptime! Now thats crazy.

14. whrswoldo

whrswoldo 2[H]4U

For in case you weren't certain, uptime should be no problem. I've had >7 months uptime with winxp pro on a box that I use for watching movies on my tv. It was made of old spare parts that had been laying in a box/on the floor/in the closet. Oh yeah, and they were all housed in a cardboard box that sat on the floor, with no top, and once I spilled cereal on it while it was running. Finally went down when the power went out for 12 hours. (UPS my arse:D )

15. viper92086

viper92086 Gawd

16. FLECOM

FLECOM Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar Staff Member

ya well, i can even hotswap my PCI in one of my servers :D

17. guito13

guito13 [H]ardness Supreme

I may not know much about computers and the like however..

Me lives in detroit...canadian beer = Cheap & more bang for the buck...yum;)

18. cv643d

cv643d Limp Gawd

Youre not worried about your power bill?

19. CrimandEvil

LOL I bet the lights dim a little on startup.

20. PS-RagE

Wow - talk about having to dig backwards. Anyhow, this machine finally made its way home tonight. Until now, it had been sitting in my office humming away on my 3rd desk (don't ask - I have way too many desks).

Of course though, when I got it home it refused to boot :rolleyes: but after much cursing and some light troubleshooting it turned out to be a poor connection with the mobo BIOS jumper.

Now all I have to do is get the HTPC home and I'll be in buisness!

I'm already enjoying it though since it has my entire CD collection on it. Listening to "Master of Reality" as I type this.

21. CrimandEvil

Damn I love that album! I hope you post some pics of your HTPC too.

22. PS-RagE

Yeah, I've been in a Black Sabbath mood all night. Started with "Paranoid" and playing "Heaven and Hell" now (poorly recorded that it is).

Hopefully, I'll be showing the HTPC soon. I've had my workstation almost fully rebuilt for a consignment sale (one DeathStar missing) and just got the lease renewed for a new one. Then, I can finally bring the HTPC home.

23. DRxAndy

DRxAndy [H]ard|Gawd

sorry to deviate further, but on a sabbath note
    i got the master of reality cd, brand new/sealed for $0.25
    i love meijer clearances!!!

once again, nice stuff man (too bad you didnt mod your htpc ;) )

24. CrimandEvil

:eek: SWEET!
    My friend when dumpster diving behind one of the local thrift stores and got a hell of alot of Vinyles in good condition not too long ago- alittle Sabbath, some Hendrix, Doors, Led Zepplin and few others.

25. DRxAndy

DRxAndy [H]ard|Gawd

:eek:
    a crime to throw away!

26. PS-RagE

A bump from the long dead!

Less than two years after the completion of the original build, 1 TeraByte just isn't "doing it" anymore - the server is almost maxed-out. I had been weighing my expansion options when one night it crashed hard and I lost 20 or 30 gig. That was the motivation I needed to get moving and I decided: "the hell with it, just rebuild the damned thing!"

This time I'm starting big - 4.8 TeraBytes of enterprise-class storage using the Western Digital WD4000YR

[​IMG]

I don't want to get caught again with a maxed-out server and no room to grow, so this time I am using the 3Ware 9550SX - 12 port RAID controller. According to the 3Ware documentation: "64-bit LBA support for addressing arrays greater than 2 TB and support for multiple cards (up to 4) within a system for large storage requirements.". In theory, it should be a good long time before I have to do this again :cool:

[​IMG]

Finding a motherboard with 4 PCI-X slots proved to be a bit of a challenge. I had to step up a notch to Xeons with the ASUS NCL-DS. The Xeons are now surprisingly affordable, so I figured I may as well get two. Also this time, I'll be installing 1 Gig of ECC DDR2 (Corsair CM73DD512R-400 (x2)

[​IMG]
    (18,236)
    [​IMG]

So, here we go again. Got a few extra drives to shoehorn in there this time. I'm hoping to have this completed before the holidays. Build pics to follow......

27. rayman2k2

rayman2k2 [H]ardness Supreme

28. xrdotimcr

xrdotimcr Limp Gawd

Yes, I love massive expensive bulids, they always make my jaw drop.

29. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Very nice hardware, will you reuse the old case?

30. PS-RagE

Yep, same case with a slight rearrangement of the innards ;)

31. Codegen

Codegen Gawd

Next post:

"SHIT! I FRYED MY XEONS"

I'm jealous.

32. ERL857

ERL857 [H]Lite

that looks pretty sweet

33. PS-RagE

All the data is backed up from the old array so it is time to start the build.

The first problem (and thus modification needed) is due to the unusual (to me anyhow) method of mounting the heatsinks for the Xeons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They mount straight through the motherboard and into the chasis. I guess it makes sense since they are quite heavy and there is two of them but it does present a problem as this case is not configured for such an installation.

[​IMG]

At first I thought I'd just thread some nuts onto the captive bolts using the spring clip as a washer but I couldn't find a 6/32 nut small enough and I was concerned about the weight twisting the motherboard.

Plan two had me either drilling and tapping or using nut rivits but I quickly realized that I would never get the holes in the exact location.

Finally, I had the thought to just grind off the threaded section of the stand off and use the standoffs as the nuts to hold the heatsinks in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a glob of JB Weld in each of the locations where the modified standoffs will touch the board and screwed the motherboard into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after allowing to cure overnight, I now have the standoffs in the proper locations for the heatsinks to mount and the strength to support them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now today's job is to tackle that pile of hard drives.

34. PS-RagE

So basically, I've got to pack double the drives into the previous area. Needless to say, there will be no enclosures this time. That is fine by me as I'm afraid they are adding another point of failure (i.e. more connections).

I had no luck finding a premade device to stack this many drives so I'm going to have to build it myself. I wandered about in a hardware store and found this strapping for stackable shelves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Scroatdog

Scroatdog [H]ard|Gawd

36. penguin

penguin 2[H]4U

*sniff* Fond memories of this worklog on the {P} forums... *sniff*

:p

Looking good Rage :D I officially hate you for the amount of money going into this though...

37. DougLite

DougLite [H]ardness Supreme

Good luck RagE. I hope that my advice on approving the purchase of the WD4000YRs and 3Ware units does not lead you astray :eek: Hopefully you will not fall victim to the Error Recovery Bug again.

38. qbackin

qbackin 2[H]4U

39. RS3RS

RS3RS Eats Zombie Brains

My word that's a lot of storage. Will be keeping an eye on this one. :)

40. PS-RagE

Thanks again Doug. As Penguin noted a lot of money is going into this rebuild so I wanted to be sure this time.

I hope I won't fall victim to that glitch again either but I still am going to have to do something with all the left over parts.......

;)